• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Young viviparous lizard? (1 Viewer)

IamFof

England
On Sunday I was at the Tregeseal Stone Circle, West Cornwall, helping to clear the encroaching vegetation.
I spotted this little chappie and a couple of mature viviparous lizards (Zootoca vivipara) and presumed it was a juvenile BUT checking online indicates juvenile Z. vivipara are very dark in colour. This is definately NOT dark, so is it just a colour variant or what?
The ventral surface had a prominant orange stripe, but couldn't get a pic. It was too camera shy :))).
P1020456 (small).jpgP1020480 (small).jpg

TIA
Fof

Thanks, ivydwg
Hmm. Interesting idea.
There is a seasonal body of water, approximately 400m away.
The ventral surface of the individual, though had a prominant orange stripe, but NO spots, and the dorsal markings look wrong, based on Google images.

Thanks, ivydwg
Hmm. Interesting idea.
There is a seasonal body of water, approximately 400m away.
The ventral surface of the individual, though had a prominant orange stripe, but NO spots, and the dorsal markings look wrong, based on Google images.
I am going off 15 years plus of surveying for newts! Could be a palmate newt. Don't know how common they are in Cornwall.

Ivydwg
I don't mean to dismiss your suggestion, far from it.
Just supplying some additional data.
How variable are the ventral spots in juvenile smooths?
I did check out palmates, but again the dorsal patterns looked wrong.
The actual location was a mound at approx 260m ASL, heavily covered with:
Bracken (Pteridium aquilinum)
Western gorse (Ulex gallii)
Bramble (Rubus fruticosus)
Tormentil (Potentilla erecta)
and what I call a tussock grass (I can't handle grasses)

Fof

Welsh Peregrine. Thanks for your i/p.
So a newt, rather than a lizard. As I also spotted a couple of adult viviparous, I assumed viviparous as a starting point.
One day i will learn NEVER assume anything - 99.999% of the time my assumptions are wrong.

Fof

Looking at the Herpetofauna workers manual it would most likely be a palmate newt, as the vertebral stripe runs from the base on the neck and beyond the pelvic girdle.

Someone recently sent me this photo asking me the same thing. At the time I thought it might be a young smooth newt, based partly on locality.
Pleasley Vale - Derbyshire/Leicestershire border.

Attachments

• IMG-20200506-WA0000_122536~2.jpg
    IMG-20200506-WA0000_122536~2.jpg
    295.6 KB · Views: 13
Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back