• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Your best bird seen today. (1 Viewer)

SAturday I saw my first ever yellow rumped warblers at Ninigret wildlife rufuge. their were tons of them. Not calling out their song just call notes.
Today I saw my first horned grebe.

Eastern Screech Owl. I heard one calling in the woods. The first time I heard it I thought it was an emergency vehicle siren since there was one going outside the park at the same time. But then it kept calling after the sirens stopped, and it called repeatedly for several minutes. Very nice. Unfortunately I was not able to locate it with my binoculars.

Best bird yesterday was the first of the year Common Crane . I'm lucky enough to live under their twice-a-year migratory flyway and saw around 100+ during a local field trip yesterday. It's estimated that 200,000 of them fly over this area every year.

Best bird of today was Kingfisher. Took a trip to Dare Valley Country Park early this morning (and it was soooooo cold!) and watched one on the river for ages. I saw it at great close range perched above the water too, they never cease to impress with their dazzling colours. Always a thrill to see one. It was a great morning for birds and they seemed to be quite tame today!

Short eared owl hunting over the marsh all around us, quite close, for a good ten minutes, sometimes going to ground, perching once on a raised mound for a few seconds, engaging in some aerial maneuvres with a northern harrier, flushing a wilson's snipe from the ground and then being mobbed by crows!
New Jersey coast. yesterday- bird of the year

My Best Bird today was a Goldcrest, The U.K. smallest bird (I Think)
He is miniscule, about half the size of a wren! a first for our garden.

Attachments

• Img_0874 1.jpg
    Img_0874 1.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 75
I think I enjoyed seeing the Osprey I saw the most trying to fly around with a fish that it seemed to be having trouble hanging on to.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back