• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Your favorite books of 2020 (1 Viewer)

Melanie

Germany
In a few days I will got my last book of 2020. (Birds of the Philippines by David Allen). In general I have bought 43 books this year (not only bird or nature related). Among the non novelties are Kadimakara by Gerald van Tets, Return of the Phasmid by Rick Wilkinson, Glimpses of Paradise by Penny Olsen and Curassows and Related Birds by Josep del Hoyo.

Here are the novelties:

Tots els ocells i mamífers del món. 30 anys de Lynx Edicions.
Birds of Paradise and Bowerbirds
Birds of the Mascarene Islands / Les Oiseaux des Mascareignes
Action plan for Australian Lizards and Snakes 2017
Deutsche Namen der Vögel der Erde: Liste der deutschen Vogelnamen der Welt (Vogelwarte Heft 58)
Palace of Palms
Field Guide to the Frogs of Australia
On the Prowl: In Search of Big Cat Origins
The Illustrated Checklist of the Mammals of the World
Eric Buffetaut: A la poursuite de l’oiseau Roc. De Sinbad le marin à Aepyornis
The Largest Avian Radiation
Birds of the Philippines

'All the Birds of the World' has to be my favourite. But the weight makes it so difficult to relax with.

I have not got round to buying the Argentina guide yet. I visited the country a few years ago and really struggled to identify everything with the books that were available then. Don't know if I will get there again, but having paid out over £5000 on a Sunbird trip to see Hooded Grebe and then failed I would still very much like to see them so who knows.

Somehow I had hoped for more replies in this thread.
My favorite is probably the Lynx set Illustrated Checklist to the Mammals of the World, not least because it comes with new, vastly improved, illustrations of the primates.
But going by Melanie's sample of giving multiple favorites, there is definitely Pearman's Birds of Argentina as well. Particularly so as with the Covid related postponement of our trip to Argentina and Antarctica, we now have a chance to actually benefit from this book in the field.

My favorite is probably the Lynx set Illustrated Checklist to the Mammals of the World, not least because it comes with new, vastly improved, illustrations of the primates.
That's a very good choice, and another fantastic book that came out this year is The Largest Avian Radiation, the Lynx volume on the evolution of passerines

I also liked very much "Multimedia Identification Guide to North Atlantic Seabirds: Shearwaters: Jouanin's & White-Chinned Petrels" by Bob Flood, Ashley Fisher and John Gale

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back