• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Yunnan i.d. help please (1 Viewer)

jhopkins

Earlier this year in Yunnan , I encountered a group of White-hooded Babblers and took some photos. On processing them at home, I noticed a small bird in adjacent vegetation. We had previously had very brief views of some Rufous-headed Parrotbills sp. nearby but had not been able to pin them down to species. Assuming this bird might be one of them, I cropped as much as possible and, although the general colouration is good, the bill seems much too fine for any Parrotbill. All the photos show a similar bill shape. Any ideas anyone?

Attachments

• JC8A9593.jpg
    JC8A9593.jpg
    121.9 KB · Views: 33
Hadn't even thought of that Andrew. I'll go back to the original photos and compare sizes...but it looks a pretty good call. Thanks!

Spot on.. If I'd even thought of juv. White-hooded, I probably would have just assumed it was dull brown all over...but this is quite distinctive. Once again, thanks for your prompt ( and accurate!) response.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back