• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

yuppie ponds. (1 Viewer)

I have heard more and more stories of people building there cute little garden ponds and putting coi or goldfish in them, which is fine, but then killing, complaining or attempting to kill the great blue herons that come into feed on the fish. These ponds are a buffet table for the herons. the water is a great depth for them and the fish being bright orange may as well have "free food" signs on their back. I have bit my tongue many times not speaking what I feel. This is a great place to vent.

I have heard more and more stories of people building there cute little garden ponds and putting coi or goldfish in them, which is fine, but then killing, complaining or attempting to kill the great blue herons that come into feed on the fish. These ponds are a buffet table for the herons. the water is a great depth for them and the fish being bright orange may as well have "free food" signs on their back. I have bit my tongue many times not speaking what I feel. This is a great place to vent.

Well, some people do have more money than sense |=o|

I've got a garden pond with fish in it (and newts) and I'm proud to have grey heron on my garden list!:t: Only trouble is............this particular bird feeder is a bit expensive to keep topped up.;)

I've got a garden pond with fish in it (and newts) and I'm proud to have grey heron on my garden list!:t: Only trouble is............this particular bird feeder is a bit expensive to keep topped up.;)

They are indeed beautiful birds. I built a pond quite large and the first great blue that came in was a great day. Also a green heron and american bittern have graced the pond. There are no decorative fish only bass and minnows so there is no cost to keep the feed up as they reproduce every year. A person told me of a story where people shot the nest of a great blue because of it feeding in thier pond. I was quite upset, thus the posting. good luck to your garden pond they are a very medatative spot to enjoy.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back