• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Zeiss Terra ED: First Look (1 Viewer)

Good point Bob. A stiffer fast focus can better a looser slower one.

That may be a good point, but the Terra's focuser is just right, it does
not need any more tensioning.

I suppose that would be more apparent to those who have spent some
time with them.

I like the focuser on the Terra, smooth with no backlash.

Jerry

Jerry,

I think this is more of an issue of personal preference than a "right or wrong" scenario. I prefer a stiffer feel to the tension if the focusing speed is going to be fast. It gives me more of a sense of control. If the focus tension is "looser", for lack of a better word and not to be misinterpreted with slack in the focus then I prefer it to be slower in speed ( more revolutions of the focusing knob.) I prefer the former to the latter overall but prefer the latter to a fast focusing speed with lower focusing tension. This last description somewhat accurately describes my impression of the Terra unit that I owned.

Have been using the Terra's since July of 2013. Overall i have been pleased with the performance. Being I am primarily a photographer these fit my budget well as would rather spend my $$$ on Canon L glass. Found them to be much faster to focus on a bird compared to my old monarchs. This was apparent today as I had to go back to using the nikons and had a heck of a time focusing on a worm eating warbler bouncing around trees. Yesterday while using the Terra's the left eyecup about fell off in my hand. These have never been dropped or mistreated. Returned them to ziess today for repair. Has anyone else had a similar issue?

Have been using the Terra's since July of 2013. Overall i have been pleased with the performance. Being I am primarily a photographer these fit my budget well as would rather spend my $$$ on Canon L glass. Found them to be much faster to focus on a bird compared to my old monarchs. This was apparent today as I had to go back to using the nikons and had a heck of a time focusing on a worm eating warbler bouncing around trees. Yesterday while using the Terra's the left eyecup about fell off in my hand. These have never been dropped or mistreated. Returned them to ziess today for repair. Has anyone else had a similar issue?

Are you talking about the rubber sleeve portion that came off of the eye cup or did the entire eye cup mechanism come loose? The former is probably glued on and it looks like it can be peeled off if a replacement is needed.

Bob

Have no clue. I always adjust the cup out a bit as i allows me to see better. Noticed there was a problem and went to adjust the cup and found problem. Should be repaired under warranty. I don't remember ever striking the cup on anything. Will see what Zeiss has to say. Will continue to use once repaired as I do like the bino's and would recommend them to others.

Was it the just the top of the eyecup or did the entire focusing mechanism come loose with it from the tube around the ocular. Many eyecups can be unscrewed in this manner from the tube in order to clean the oculars. I don't believe that this can be done with the Terra ED though so if that happened something broke.

Bob

I never had an issue with the focus but I prefer a fast gearing. Maybe it was a bit light but I also found it very smooth and precise -- a claim that can't be made for most focus knobs in this price range.

Yet another example in the sea of examples where it matters not who makes it, or how much it costs, the focus...speed, tension, direction, you name it, is a loser for any manufacturer. Somebody will not like it.

I think the best way would be to have a variable tension adjustment of some sort...but somebody would not like that either ;)

Overall I like the Terra quite a bit, good field worthy glass from a good company for not a huge investment. I think the focus is fine. Somebody's just right is somebody else's junk.

Last edited:
I just spent a good bit of time reading this entire thread. There are some great posts here and wonderful reviews by our well-respected anchor members! (We all know who they are.)

As I thrill to using my Conquest HD 10x42's, await arrival of a pair of Conquest HD 8x32's, and contemplate ordering a pair of Victory FL 8x32's... it's great to know that Zeiss has done a great job with the "premium-entry" class offering of the Terra ED's.

Thanks to nearly all of you for great contributions here. I'm quite thankful that Zeiss is still doing such a great job today, as they have for so long. I'm excited to be a new Zeiss bin user (have used their lenses on my cameras) to continue a family tradition. I have a pair of Carl Zeiss Jena 6x24 TeleXem that my dad bought in Berlin, circa 1930 or so, that are now perhaps "antique". No match for today's bins optically, but in their day, they were sweet!

Last edited:
Thanks to nearly all of you for great contributions here. I'm quite thankful that Zeiss is still doing such a great job today, as they have for so long. I'm excited to be a new Zeiss bin user (have used their lenses on my cameras) to continue a family tradition. I have a pair of Carl Zeiss Jena 6x24 TeleXem that my dad bought in Berlin, circa 1930 or so, that are now perhaps "antique". No match for today's bins optically, but in their day, they were sweet!

Nice sentiments and nicely expressed ZD.

Although I have taken diversions via Swift, Leica and Swarovski over the years my best glassing by far has been with Zeiss, no disrespect to other brands intended.

I had a Dialyt 10x40 BGA from 1986 to 2003 and an FL 8x42 from 2004 to 2012 and they brought me many wonderful observing moments.

I wish you many of the same.

Lee

Excellent Reviews Of The 8x42 Terra - ED On Eagle Optics!:t:

Since I started this thread on June 4, 2013 when the Terra-ED first hit the market I feel that I have some responsibility to follow up on occasion with news about it.

The Zeiss Terra ED was released o/a June 1st 2013. Since that time Eagle Optics has received 30 5 Star rated reviews on the 8x42. It is currently in "out of stock" status at Eagle Optics.

There very likely were many more than 30 8x42s sold by EO during this period in order to get these 30 reviews back and this can be interpreted as evidence that the buying public is well pleased with them and with their price.

http://www.eagleoptics.com/binoculars/zeiss/zeiss-terra-ed-8x42-binocular

Bob

Last edited:
You have a long way to catch up to Frank's Sightron II thread, which has 967 posts! Thirty three more and it breaks the 1,000 post mark. But 316 is pretty good for a bin that when first introduced worried some people that it would "tarnish the brand" for Zeiss, because it was a Chinbin with the famous blue shield.

While I have applauded the company's efforts from the beginning in making a Zeiss "for the rest of us," I can't say that I'm one of those who are "well-pleased" with the Terra ED. For me, the fast focuser is a "fatal flaw." The optics I liked, even the chunky closed bridge ergonomics surprisingly felt okay in my hands, but there's no way I could get comfortable with a bin whose focuser spins as quickly as pulsar, and I'm not alone in this opinion.

Why companies keep making bins with ultra fast focusers, I don't know. Surely, the Conquest HD, HT, and SF's foscuser's are not the "Quicks Draw" that the Terra ED is. Were they thinking back to the days when NASA's manta was "cheaper, faster, better - pick two?" Cheaper and faster, I would agree with.

I was excited about the Terra ED but when I actually tried one, and began focusing with it, I was disappointed with the "thin slice of life" it presented due to the "faster than a speeding bullet" focuser. That "slice" was bright and sharp over most of the FOV, but a "static birder" I am not. As Sundance said in the movie, "I'm better when I move."

Even though the FOV was "only" 7* (still better than many competitors at the same price point), the view had an "open" feel to it.

The "horseshoe" came just short of the "stake," and that's worse than if it had missed the "pit" entirely. If Zeiss ever decides to slow down the focuser to a more moderate pace, I might jump aboard the Zeiss train.

The master of mixed metaphors, the word count king without smilies,
Baba O'Looey

Last edited:
Brock,

I'm not in competition with Frank or the Sightron Thread. It would have been good for Sightron if some of their models could have been sold by Eagle Optics and Camera Land. I can tell you that the Pentax/Ricoh 9x32 DCF BC clone of the Sightron 8x32 something or other II is one heck of a good binocular for $259.00.

As for the Zeiss Terra ED, its focuser is not as fast as the focusers are on my Nikon 8x32 LX L and 10x32 LX L and if I can recall correctly you could live with the 8x32. Now those were fast!:eek!: And it is about $700.00 cheaper too!

One of the EO reviewers (an experienced birder) returned his because the focus was to "coarse" and there was no diopter lock and bought a more expensive binocular to replace it and another said that the focus was too "sharp" but she got used to it and kept it. Those were the only comments on the focuser. Others complimented its close focus and many of its other attributes. Overall it averaged out to be a very positive review of the Zeiss Terra-ED.

But you know what they say about binoculars and people here on the binocular forum: "When it comes to binoculars some people are easily pleased and others are never pleased."

Bob

Last edited:
Brock,

It's not as fast as the focusers are on my Nikon 8x32 LX L and 10x32 LX L and if I can recall correctly you could live with the 8x32. Now those were fast!:eek!: And it is about $700.00 cheaper too!

One of the reviewers (an experienced birder) returned his because the focus was to "coarse" and there was no diopter lock and bought a more expensive binocular to replace it and another said that the focus was too "sharp" but she got used to it and kept it. Others complimented its close focus. Overall it averaged out to be a very positive review of the Zeiss Terra-ED.

But you know what they say about binoculars here on the binocular forum: "When it comes to binoculars some people are easily pleased and others are never pleased."

Bob

I struggled with the 8x32 LX's focuser for almost three years (and its ill-fitting ergonomics), because the image was so good, but I could not "live with" the focuser. I passed it off to mooreorless who had "no problem with the focuser" but traded it for an SE after he got his 8x30 SLCneu.

You and Steve both fall in the category of "always pleased." Me, I have a more discriminating palette, but there are bins that please me, but only a few that I can afford to own.

Brock

Brock,
You make it sound like Bob and I are "too easy to please" I have had some binoculars that I did not like.Pentax 20x60 PCF WP the one that was on sale a few years ago, it had bad resolution in the right side, my better eye, if it had been the left side I might of lived with it. The only reason I got rid of the Nikon 8x32LX was the weight and I wanted another Nikon 8x32SE. I almost had another 7x30 but didn't want to sell the 8SE. I am not doing that again. I am sure I would like the Zeiss Terra, fast focuser.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back