• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Zeiss Terra ED: First Look (3 Viewers)

Last time I was in Manhattan I went to Cameraland NY specifically to check out the ZR to see for myself what all the fuss was about. Made poor Neil go fetch an 8x43ED out of the stock room and carefully unwrap it for me. Took me ~15secs to know all I needed to know and handed it back while apologizing for wasting 5min and 15sec of his time.

But RJ it's all about context and the context here is the world of competitively priced roof prism bins.

Clearly in 15 secs you did not do any MEASURING and while the bins did not win you over were you really judging them within context?

Lee

To compare the Terra Ed 8x42 with an other binocular:

The Opticron T3 Trailfinder 8x42:

Close focus Terra ED: 1.5m
Close focus Trailfinder: 1.5m

FOV Terra ED: 125m
FOV Trailfinder: 125m

HxW Terra ED: 139mm x 119mm
HxW Trailfinder: 140mmx128mm

Weight Terra ED: 720gr
Weight Trailfinder: 740gr

Price Terra ED: 349$
Price Trailfinder: 219$

On top of that there are also several identical points on the outer design.
Pretty big chance those bins are exactly the same.
So this Terra ED is nothing new, in fact it's overpriced!
Trailfinder.jpg920175.jpg

Last edited:

View attachment 446824View attachment 446825

Please compare the view and get back to us. The view tends to be a pretty important criteria for evaluation, even if we want to pre-judge binoculars based on body style.............

View attachment 446824View attachment 446825

Then you probably have the same complaint about the Zeiss Conquest HD because the Terra ED also looks very much like it. But at least the Conquests are available for you to purchase to compare with others of like price.

The Terra EDs aren't being sold in Europe so you can compare them to others in their price range. Is this the reason why you are sniping at them from the sidelines?

And actually, compared to equivalent Nikon Monarchs, Leupold Hawthornes, Zen-Rays and the like here in the USA, they are not at all overpriced. $375.00 US is quite competitive

Bob

I did remove the covers. There are 2 metal screws set into the end of the slots of each eye cup mechanism to limit the distance the eye cup travels. They are black in the Terra and gold in your Foresta.

Bob

Sounds like the same set-up, which means it could be modified like the Vixen if necessary. With the Vixen it wasn't just that I needed more nose room, I had to keep my eyes perfectly centered to avoid image blackouts, which was very difficult to do. As soon as I panned, the image blacked out on the left side.

Ironically, even though the exit pupil is 7mm, it was as hard to hold onto the image while panning as it is with a compact bin. Not sure why that was, too much ER or spherical aberration of the exit pupil? Whatever it was, getting the right distance from the EPs did the trick.

<B>

I have handled both of these models within minutes of one another. They certainly didn't look or perform like the same binocular rebadged.

Yes. I handled both down at Cape May in March. I also compared the Terra ED to the Bresser Everest.

http://m.flickr.com/photos/73029961@N07/8582504451/lightbox/

Frank,

Have you tried a Swaro 8x30 CL? That bin also has 7* FOV - and some people (including Dennis) have said the FOV was too restrictive.

In fact, Dennis just mentioned on the Best Birding Bins thread that he wouldn't buy a Terra ED because "the Terra HD has too small of a FOV for me". He's probably thinking about his experience with the CL.

I'm a WF bin fan, but I've tried two 8x bins with 7* TFOV, the 8x42 LX and the 8x36 Sporter 1, and neither gave a tunnelesque view.

If you or anyone else has ever tried both the 8x30 CL and the 8x42 Terra ED, I'd be interested in hearing how they compare in terms of apparent field of view. In theory, the specs should be almost the same, the Terra ED's just a wee bit wider @ 7.14* TFOV, but the AFOV is listed as 56* in the specs, same as the CL. In practice, useable ER, nose relief and eyecup design often play a role in how "open" a view looks to me.

<B>

Brock:

8x42 binoculars often have a smaller FOV than many 8x32's on the market
today. I think 7 degrees fits in quite well at 372 ft. / 1,000 yds. Those mentioned are
both in that area. A nice view at 7 degrees is fine with me. Wider may be better but
it needs to be a good wider, to enjoy.

A widefield FOV is considered over 390 ft. 7.4 degrees.

Jerry

Frank,

Have you tried a Swaro 8x30 CL? That bin also has 7* FOV - and some people (including Dennis) have said the FOV was too restrictive.

In fact, Dennis just mentioned on the Best Birding Bins thread that he wouldn't buy a Terra ED because "the Terra HD has too small of a FOV for me". He's probably thinking about his experience with the CL.

I'm a WF bin fan, but I've tried two 8x bins with 7* TFOV, the 8x42 LX and the 8x36 Sporter 1, and neither gave a tunnelesque view.

If you or anyone else has ever tried both the 8x30 CL and the 8x42 Terra ED, I'd be interested in hearing how they compare in terms of apparent field of view. In theory, the specs should be almost the same, the Terra ED's just a wee bit wider @ 7.14* TFOV, but the AFOV is listed as 56* in the specs, same as the CL. In practice, useable ER, nose relief and eyecup design often play a role in how "open" a view looks to me.

<B>

Since you asked I have compared both of their FOVs. I have both, or more correctly, my wife has the 8 x 30 CL. We had it at Cape May a few weeks ago and it was pleasant to use. Very light and comfortable!

There is no difference in their FOV as far as I could see comparing them against my FOV landmarks and neither of them is restrictive to me. I haven't compared them otherwise but I can tell you that the little CL is pretty bright for a 30mm binocular. I think the Zeiss has better veiling glare control though. I'll check them out again when we have some bright morning sun.

Bob

Brock:

8x42 binoculars often have a smaller FOV than many 8x32's on the market
today. I think 7 degrees fits in quite well at 372 ft. / 1,000 yds. Those mentioned are
both in that area. A nice view at 7 degrees is fine with me. Wider may be better but
it needs to be a good wider, to enjoy.

A widefield FOV is considered over 390 ft. 7.4 degrees.

Jerry

Jerry,

I know what you mean about wider needing to be a "good wider" to enjoy. The wider you stretch the FOV, usually the more distortion you see off-axis. The 9* FOV ZR 7x36 ED2 was a good example. Great centerfield view, but off-axis distortions were distracting.

Pincushion is added to counteract the angular magnification distortion, but as the ED2 shows, you can have too much of a good thing.

Even when I compare the view of the 8x30 EII and 8x32 SE, you pay for that extra wide FOV with more distortion (mostly pincushion).

By turning the eyecups upside down, I was able to get more AFOV from the 8x32 SE since the bottom of the cup is narrower than the top, which tends to stretch and open up with use. But when birding in close in a thick brush, I still prefer the EII and use it more frequently than any other bin since the only "open" view near my house is the ball field, everything else green is covered in a thick canopy right now.

I think they could have pushed the FOV in the Terra a bit more w/out incurring any penalty (except monetary :).

But there's more than cost being considered when a manufacturer makes a full sized roof with a moderate FOV, there's also the weight and bulk. By design, roofs are inherently slim. If you add more FOV, you need bigger prisms, which adds bulk and weight, same with the more complex EPs needed for a wider FOV.

Some companies try to get away with increasing the FOV w/out increasing the bulk by allowing vignetting of the exit pupils, as frequently illustrated on allbinos. For daytime use, on most days, this probably isn't an issue since your pupils are contracted smaller than the exit pupils, but on dismal days, you might notice the difference compared to a bin with a full aperture exit pupil of the same configuration.

Coming back to cost, the Terra ED is priced at $359. So 7* doesn't seem unreasonable when you consider that a Pentax 8x43 DCF ED costs almost three times as much and only has 6.3* FOV. That's too narrow for me. I haven't tried the Pentax ED, but I have tried the Nikon Monarch, which has the same FOV, the Celestron 8x42 Regal LS (6.5*), and the Leupold 8x42 Cascade porro (6.4*), and the all gave a tunnelesque view. The Cascade seemed the worst in that regard, like looking through a porthole.

56* AFOV is as low as I want to limbo with a birding bin.

The AFOV in the Vixen 7x50 Foresta is somewhat narrowish @ 49.7*, but it's not a birding bin, and for abysmally dismal days like we had today, the trade-off of a smaller FOV for a bright, sharp image is worth it. They are also very comfortable in my hands.

But if I had deeper pockets, my main birding bin would probably be an 7x42 EDG, which has an 8* TFOV. I think it would be the ultimate birding bin, because you get it all in one package.

Maybe as more and more baby boomers retire and get shakier, the industry will respond by reviving the 7x bin. A 7x42 EDGt and a Harley trike, and I'm all set. ;)

Brock

Now you got me wondering (roll-eyes) if this binocular is going to be in my growing collection. I must be obsessed.

But I wanted to let you know that I posted a review of the Atlas Intrepid ED 10 x 42s in the equipment reviews and they are probably cosmetic sisters to the Zen Ray ED2s http://www.zen-ray.com/shop/binoculars/zened2/zened2-10x43.html. I'm really happy with them so far and their price point, is $300 (from Eagle Optics), so I suspect the Zeiss name may carry a premium.

When did you get a Vixen Foresta 7x50 Brock?

I will post some thoughts on a comparison between the Bresser and the Terra ED shortly Tom.

When did you get a Vixen Foresta 7x50 Brock?

I will post some thoughts on a comparison between the Bresser and the Terra ED shortly Tom.

Bryce sent them to me on my birthday. I think these were originally yours. They looked new.

Nice case and strap, too. The close focus was not 11 ft. for me, but about 14-15 ft., which is still quite good for a 7x50.

What's also nice is that it has a diopter ring like a roof instead of having to turn the ocular housing like on the Nikon SE and EII. What's not nice is that the diopter ring, which you need to push in to turn, is stiff turning in one direction and particularly stiff near my diopter settings (which change a bit, depending on the lighting), and there are no markings for +1, -1, etc., just + or -, but I will find a way to mark where my diopter settings are so I can set them more easily.

I look forward to reading your review of the Terra ED.

Brock

I've decided that if I can trade-in my Vortex Diamondbacks 8x42s that these Terra's are the replacement set. Waiting to hear from Adorama as to what they will offer as a trade-in credit.

I should have never opened up this thread. ;)

Bryce sent them to me on my birthday. I think these were originally yours. They looked new.

Nice case and strap, too. The close focus was not 11 ft. for me, but about 14-15 ft., which is still quite good for a 7x50.

What's also nice is that it has a diopter ring like a roof instead of having to turn the ocular housing like on the Nikon SE and EII. What's not nice is that the diopter ring, which you need to push in to turn, is stiff turning in one direction and particularly stiff near my diopter settings (which change a bit, depending on the lighting), and there are no markings for +1, -1, etc., just + or -, but I will find a way to mark where my diopter settings are so I can set them more easily.

I look forward to reading your review of the Terra ED.

Brock

Your welcome Brock! Bryce...

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back