• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Zen Ray ED....initial impressions (2 Viewers)

I think you are pointing to the right source of smell in this "case"!;)
... The binocular absorbed some of the case scent.. But it seems like is going away fairly quick...Thats good..:smoke:

Last edited:
Yes, same here. My pair exhibits next to no scent at this point.

I am happy to see that someone else took the plunge and is happy with the Zen EDs. They truly are a superb binocular.

Just an update to my post of a few days ago (Feb 8). I did return the bins to Zen Ray. They agreed that all was not right and promptly sent another pair.

Can not say how welcoming it is to know one gets good customer service from these folks.

Do not delay...give them a try!!!!

Frank,..i am happy too,after a week the ZEN impresses me over and over..
The first couple of days i took them birding in the field,I was really amazed,and i let go many a "wwwow","OHMAN" and the likes...I was quite impressed with long range detail..I bird a small wetland area,about the size of 1 or 2 average city blocks,usually i can identify every Duck in that range ,But not with the clarity i experienced using the ZEN...I dont know if i have a Cherry,or all specimens average this sharp,but i have no doubt they ARE sharper than the NIKON SE 8x32 .
The Coatings are still puzzling me a little...At first glance,they seem to be NOT as nice as any of the Good binos i have owned..Pentax ED coatings are clearly better,and work better in controlling glare,also they offer a bit more contrast,and similar color saturation. the Nikon LXL ,has better contrast due to better coatings,and brutal color saturation(a bit too brutal,the way it bleeds in the form of CA),but none of the mentioned models matches the ZEN resolution .
I must mention that although some glare interfered with the image in some situations,The large exit pupil was very forgiving allowing the eye to move around the glare and still achieve a good quality observation.
(This Problem with glare i found only to annoy me in one extreme situation,when deliberately pushing the view to the most oblique of angles in relation to the sun,at the very midday and in hazy conditions..observation hell namely)
The ZEN has also a Wider FOV,than most 8x32/8x42 and quite Flat.Edge resolution is on Par with the mentioned models

The ZEN are a little bit like the 820# on Asteroids...They are a bit sharper,and bring even more detail than the 820 ,even with the extra .5X..Better ER,and a Great FOV..Also Depth of Focus is remarkable,Or so i am noticing..In this regard the Focus action seems more than adequate ,because only small adjustments are needed for most distances...truly most of the focuser mechanism range is from 10 to 5 feet.Focused at infinity ,One quarter to half turn goes a LOOOOONG way.Perfect for birding.

Very good too for Night Sky observation.My pair Shows No astigmatism or Coma at all(pin point stars with no diffraction spikes in any direction),although looking at the brightest street light,one of the barrels shows some ghosting in the form of (very)faint crossed wide strikes.The other Barrel shows a perfect diffusion of the light in all directions .This only shows when looking directly at bright street lights
.Pity,because i love to look at bright street light through binoculars!!..

CA is not present in the center ,and only so little of the faintest type can be detected in the outer edge,perhaps starting at 60%,very faint ,and almost unnoticeable and increasing a little towards the field stop,but always staying super low. The Pentax ED has a bit better control over CA,and is almost free of it,all the way up to the 75/80% of the FOV.But very close performance in that regard.
I dont know if ED glass offers this advantage only in suppressing CA or also increases resolution when used in the right optical design;The ZEN is an overall superb design.
And,i am really enjoying the Ergonomics of Open bridge configuration.
it really offers many advantages in the field,..Is more comfy to grip,and distributes the Weight in an amazing way...The binoculars feel WAY lighter than they are!!!!
As i said,it feels like the Audubon 820,in the sense that covers all the needs,and ,gosh,Do they get the Job done!!
And like the Audubon,their value ,easy view and amazing resolution,clearly worth any compromise in size or weight...
I am really liking them...

Last edited:
I am getting that impression.

;)

I am glad to hear another glowing report for these bins from another totally unbiased source. I know you have alot of experience with the various optics on the market (and extensive scope experience IIRC) so your comments most certainly carry alot of weight.

I look forward to hearing more comments about these bins. ;)

Hello Mayoayo
The great review of those Zen-Ray EDs is terrible. Terrible because now I just can't resist going to their web-site and buying one. Comments made me buy one of those Promaster EDs and I thought that it would the last one I'd buy, but I just got to get one of these now. I will wait until my next paycheck though.
Your promotion was too tempting! You make them sound a bit better than those Promasters to me.

Your promotion was too tempting! You make them sound a bit better than those Promasters to me.

Marcus,

Having both myself, I sincerely hope you have an easier time trying to pick one over the other than I have had. So, for now the Promaster and its repellent coatings is the rainy day dim & dreary binocular and the ZEN will be for everything else.

So, is that true? Maybe I should calm down and consider if I really need one. But don't worry. I'm sure that I'll make the descision to buy it.
I wanted to get one of those Hawks but I didn't know how to. The Zens look like it should be easier.

Anyone know about the Zen-ray SEAVUE 12x42? It's fully multicoated but it seems impossibly cheap. Is there any possible way this can perform somewhere near a Nikon Monarch?

Well I'm most concerned with good center image clarity. I don't mind much of the outer third is fuzzy or there is some CA. The only time I would be using the 12 is to pull in something far away so I'll mainly be looking in the center third. The Monarch is not that sharp and clear compared to the big guys but it's respectable and worlds better then any sub 1oo dollar glass I've seen.

How does the seavue stack up as far as what I'm interested in?

Well I'm most concerned with good center image clarity. I don't mind much of the outer third is fuzzy or there is some CA. The only time I would be using the 12 is to pull in something far away so I'll mainly be looking in the center third. The Monarch is not that sharp and clear compared to the big guys but it's respectable and worlds better then any sub 1oo dollar glass I've seen.

How does the seavue stack up as far as what I'm interested in?

Although I am against the idea "you get what you paid for", I feel that the seavue seems lacking comparing to other binoculars offered by zen-ray. The close focus is merely 12ft. I don't think it is waterproof. For extra $20, you should try their refurbished VISTA 10x42. 2m close focus, waterproof. To me, waterproof feature is a must-have. Even it is not raining, your early morning bird walk will deal with mist or morning fog. Don't want those moisture find its way into the binoculars.

ZEN-RAY....if you notice the exchange then maybe you could chime in on your opinion of the SEA VUE's optical performance versus the rest of the line.

....and I did enjoy going back and reading through the Blog on their site. Some interesting observations and comments. It would seem ZR has had some success with the previous version of the ZRS and the VISTA over the last year or two.

Marcus,
Not that my opinion counts for much as I am probably the least informed bin person on the forum, but I also have both the Promaster and the Zen ED (8x's); like Steve I have had a difficult time deciding which might be the better. I have taken both out a lot lately and as soon I think I decide that I really like one better, I will use the other and find something I really like about it. I certainly don't need both in 8x's! I am having some problems with the Promaster and am sending it back to the seller - going to get a 10x in the PM and keep my 8x Zen ED. I had thought to keep the PM 8x and go for the 10x in the ZR ED - have changed my mind countless times!!! There is much to read about both in the forum and both have great features. I don't know that you go could wrong in choosing one over the other. The ZR focus is much faster , but I love the slow precision of the PM. The ZR seems to be a touch sharper, but I have looked the PM and thought at times that it was sharper. Customer service at Zen-Ray has been outstanding so far. Haven't dealt directly with Promaster, but the seller (Mike's Camera) has been great as well. Good luck in choosing!!

Hmm, interesting. Here I thought you were sticking with the 8x Promaster. Glad to see you kept the 8x Zen Rays. Any word on the 8x Cascades yet?

;)

Yeah, I know....but I like hearing other's comparisons.

Frank,

You know, if I think about it - I am so tempted to keep both 8x's and just order a pair of 10x PM's!!! I have changed my mind so many times and it may happen again. The current pair of PM's have to go back for replacement either way. There are just so many things I like about the PM's...and the Zens!!!

Got the Cascades today and I just opened them. Can't focus the darn things. Will try again tomorrow.

Marcus,
Not that my opinion counts for much as I am probably the least informed bin person on the forum, but I also have both the Promaster and the Zen ED (8x's); Good luck in choosing!!

Laura,
Thanks very much for that message. Unfortunately it really makes me desire even more so to get a 8x Zen ED and see how it compares to my Promaster and my other 'pretty good' binoculars.
I really have got to get one. I won't mind both of them being 8x. I've already got 11 'pretty good' 8x's. To be honest I think that I'll like adding a new one.
Thanks again Laura!

Laura,
I really have got to get one. I won't mind both of them being 8x. I've already got 11 'pretty good' 8x's. To be honest I think that I'll like adding a new one.
Thanks again Laura!

Repeat after me: "My name is Marcus and I am a binaholic"!!
Well, if you have 11, then you surely must move up to an even number - therefore, you must try the ZRs!!o:D
I like both. The PMs seem to have a flatter field and for me, a larger FOV. The ZRs at times seem to be a touch sharper, certainly easier to focus (in cold weather they are just about equal), but I seem to lose a little of the FOV. I wear glasses and it may be a difference in the way the eye cups are shaped. Frank seemed to indicate that he preferred the shape of the ZR eye cups over the PMs, if I remember correctly. I really find it hard to chose between the 2.

Last edited:
Repeat after me: "My name is Marcus and I am a binaholic"!!
I wear glasses and it may be a difference in the way the eye cups are shaped. Frank seemed to indicate that he preferred the shape of the ZR eye cups over the PMs, if I remember correctly. I really find it hard to chose between the 2.
I also wear glasses. If the eyecups of the PM seem a little better than the ZR's, then I guess that's a another reason for me to make that ZR number 12.
Marcus

I choose the Promasters over the ZR. Both are good, but I already chose, so I refuse to see the 10 ZR. The 8x might be worth a look, though. Or the coming Bushnell.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back