• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Zen Ray on the way (1 Viewer)

I broke down and ordered a pair of ZEN. I missed the $429 price on HAWKE before it went up to $479. Thanks a lot for the link. The code ifish worked.

Warranty info doesn't seem to include the Zens at all, no mention. For bins (Vista, Mariner & Summit) purchased in 2008, only a 5 yr warranty. For bins purchased in 2009, only the Vista, Mariner and Summits & Sedona scope are mentioned specifically as being covered in the limited lifetime warranty. So does this mean that the Zen falls into the "all other products not mentioned are covered by a 1 yr warranty policy"? Am I missing the warranty info on the Zen somehow?

lulubelle brings up a point I was hesitant to mention. I have the 8x42 Promaster Inf Elite ED and got it at a discount which makes it fairly close to the Zen price. Promaster has a great warranty from a company that's been around a long time. I did pre-order a set of Summit at ~$180 cause I couldn't resist.

Thoughts?

Zen-Ray's warranty is, as of 2009, carried by the instrument,not the original owner. It is a lifetime warranty. Absent abuse, they will repair or replace free of charge. Sounds sort of Vortex like.

I saw the chart, but when I pull up warranty info on their home page this is what I come up with:

"Warranty Information

The following products carry 5-year limited warranty:

2008 Model VISTA, MARINER, ZRS( SUMMIT) Binoculars
Zen-Ray guarantees your product to be free of defects in materials and workmanship for 5-year of the original owner. These warranties do not cover consumer caused damages such as misuse, abuse or repairs attempted by someone other than our authorized technicians.

The following products carry limited lifetime warranty:

2009 Model VISTA, MARINER, ZRS( SUMMIT) Binoculars
SEDONA Spotting Scope
Zen-Ray guarantees your product to be free of defects in materials and workmanship for the original owner. These warranties do not cover consumer caused damages such as misuse, abuse or repairs attempted by someone other than our authorized technicians.

All other products carry 1-year manufacturing warranty

These warranties do not cover consumer caused damages such as misuse, abuse or repairs attempted by someone other than our authorized technicians"

This is quoted from their site and why I was questioning the warranty on the Zens. For the 5 yr & limted lifetime warranty it also states that is for the original owner. Perhaps I am reading it incorrectly. They are just so specific in in listing their products for each warranty time frame and the Zens are not listed. Perhaps it is an oversight on their part. Only curious because I am expecting a pair of Promasters today and the pricing on the Zens is a little better with the $99 discount. Appealing if the Zen ED's appear to be competitive with the Promasters and Hawkes.

Last edited:
The lifetime warranty and warranty applying to the instrument is from the Zen Ray president when I asked about the warranty on the new ZEN. As I understood him, all 2009 products are the limited lifetime warranty. Manufactured defects and issues are covered, aside from user abuse.

thanks

lulubelle, thanks for pointing out our outdated warranty page. It has been updated for all 2009 product line-ups.

Steve C is correct. 2009 VISTA, Mariner, ZRS, ZEN binoculars and SEDONA spotting scopes are covered by fully transferrable lifetime warranty.

Below is summary of warranty coverage for 2009 new products

The following products carry transferrable limited lifetime warranty:
  • Model VISTA, MARINER, ZRS, and ZEN ED Binoculars
  • SEDONA Spotting Scope

Zen-Ray guarantees your product to be free of defects in materials and workmanship for the lifetime of the product. These warranties do not cover consumer caused damages such as misuse, abuse or repairs attempted by someone other than our authorized technicians.

At Zen-Ray Optics, we stay behind every product we deliver to you. Through our rigorous Q/A process, we hope you never have to use our warranty service. But when you do, we want you to know that we are here, ready to help. To initiate warranty service, simply email [email protected] to request a RMA number. We will either repair or replace your product upon receiving the product in question at No COST to you.

If you have any question, please feel free to email us [email protected]

Outstanding! Thanks so much for your response! I am certainly not one of the binocular experts on this forum, but I am so impressed with the interaction of your company with the forum members & respect you seem to have for potential customers. It is nice to know that some companies do pay attention!

I have to admit that you gotta love the transferrable lifetime warranty. That in and of itself will make it attractive to many of us.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back