• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Pop-up hide......how to carry with other equipment (1 Viewer)

David Smith

Warrington Lancs
I had more-or-less decided to purchase one for the spring (if it ever comes) then suddenly thought......
how do I carry this plus camera & 100-400 plus binoculars??
I wouldn't be walking far with them (maybe a mile or so) but they still need carrying.
What do others do??

Which model/make did you purchase & would you buy the same again ?

I had more-or-less decided to purchase one for the spring (if it ever comes) then suddenly thought......
how do I carry this plus camera & 100-400 plus binoculars??
I wouldn't be walking far with them (maybe a mile or so) but they still need carrying.
What do others do??

Which model/make did you purchase & would you buy the same again ?

Hi David, if it has'nt got them already ,attach 2 shoulder straps to the cover so that you can carry it just like a backpack then its out of the way for your bins and camera;I lug around a digiscope setup for miles all day over rough terrain and it works fine.
Ameristep (ebay)do a wide range and good quality.

Hi David, if it has'nt got them already ,attach 2 shoulder straps to the cover so that you can carry it just like a backpack then its out of the way for your bins and camera;I lug around a digiscope setup for miles all day over rough terrain and it works fine.
Ameristep (ebay)do a wide range and good quality.

I should have said............
I carry the camera & lense in a rucksack (until I get to the location)-so can't quite see how a hide would also fit.

Harness for the binos. Waist-belt for the camera. Backpack for other stuff. That works for me for day hikes in the Himalayas.

Vandit

Hi David
I have just taken delivery of a 1 man photography hide from ultimateaddons. It comes with its own rucksack which is very comfortable to carry.
I too have a 100-400 which I carry on my tripod and I tighten the panning lever to enable me to use it as a sort of hook which I then rest over my shoulder.
This is comfortable for me but I do have to sacrifice having my bins hanging round my neck as I dont want to accidently scratch any glass. Unfortunatley you will have to compromise what you carry when you go out.
I took the hide out for its first run today and within minutes of hanging a feeder up I was watching Long Tailed Tits from within 6 feet, a Treecreeper and Green Woodpecker all very close, with the best view of a Wren, as it was perched actually on the side of the hide 6 inches from my right shoulder. I'm now looking forward to better light to enable some better quality close up shots.
I agonised over buying a hide for months, but after seeing Mike From Ebbw's gallery and the quality of his pics decide to get one, I wish I'd taken the plunge earlier.
Regards
Ian

Hi David
I have just taken delivery of a 1 man photography hide from ultimateaddons. It comes with its own rucksack which is very comfortable to carry.
I too have a 100-400 which I carry on my tripod and I tighten the panning lever to enable me to use it as a sort of hook which I then rest over my shoulder.
This is comfortable for me but I do have to sacrifice having my bins hanging round my neck as I dont want to accidently scratch any glass. Unfortunatley you will have to compromise what you carry when you go out.
I took the hide out for its first run today and within minutes of hanging a feeder up I was watching Long Tailed Tits from within 6 feet, a Treecreeper and Green Woodpecker all very close, with the best view of a Wren, as it was perched actually on the side of the hide 6 inches from my right shoulder. I'm now looking forward to better light to enable some better quality close up shots.
I agonised over buying a hide for months, but after seeing Mike From Ebbw's gallery and the quality of his pics decide to get one, I wish I'd taken the plunge earlier.
Regards
Ian

Right-that has decided it.......I am going for it. I went out yesterday and (for the 3rd time) saw a Buzzard perched-it flew off when I approached but I thought......if I had my hide:-C

Right-that has decided it.......I am going for it. I went out yesterday and (for the 3rd time) saw a Buzzard perched-it flew off when I approached but I thought......if I had my hide:-C

Whilst travelling to work for the last few weeks every morning I saw 2 Buzzards pulling worms in a field which was backing onto a small wood. An ideal chance for a real close up pic I was thinking as I passed.
Now I have the hide I hav'nt seen them since 8-(

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back