• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Decisions Decisions (1 Viewer)

pduxon

Quacked up Member
I have to take a long weekend soon (before end of April) any idea where to go? My head says I should get some use out of The Best Birdwatching sites in Sussex my heart says goto Norfolk.

Anyone care to convince me one way or t'other. I don't want to go too far a field from Essex, North Lincs was another possibility.

pduxon said:
I have to take a long weekend soon (before end of April) any idea where to go? My head says I should get some use out of The Best Birdwatching sites in Sussex my heart says goto Norfolk.

Anyone care to convince me one way or t'other. I don't want to go too far a field from Essex, North Lincs was another possibility.

Take a very very long weekend - or better still, a week. Go far, far away - to Scotland!!!!

Or did you expect sensible answers? :eek!: :eek!: :eek!:

Elizabeth Bigg said:
Take a very very long weekend - or better still, a week. Go far, far away - to Scotland!!!!

Or did you expect sensible answers? :eek!: :eek!: :eek!:

Hah hah. I only get two days for supporting year-end!!

How about Kent.... you could do a little tour round the coast taking in Cliffe, Elmley, Oare, Sandwich Bay, Stodmarsh and finish up at Dungeness....

Its always dangerous to make plans too far in advance - who knows what can happen at that time of year - but i would have thought you couldn`t go far wrong with either a weekend in Devon or a weekend in Norfolk.

Devon could give Glossy Ibis, Spoonbill & passage waders at Bowling Green Marsh, Cirl Buntings and Woodlarks at Exminster, Dartford Warblers at Aylesbear Common, Waders, Terns and possibly Migrants at Dawlish Warren along with Cetti`s Warblers at Slapton Divers or Grebes possibly offshore still there and more Cirl Buntings and possibly migrants at Prawle Point - you`d have to be pretty unlucky for there not to be something rare and unusual in that part of the world at that time of year too....

Norfolk could yield Goshawk, Stone Curlew and Woodlark in the Brecks and an opportunity to take in Titchwell (Black-winged Stilt, Avocets, Waders etc) the Golden Pheasants at Wolferton and the North Norfolk reserves of Holme, Holkham and Cley - anything possible from lingering Shorelark to migrant waders returning and always the chance of rarities.

Whatever you do have fun!

Jason

Annoy Elizabeth ? As if.

Already ticked Sammy this year. Jason wherever I go it'll be to get some fresh air and relaxation and see what I see. If they are common so be it of course if...

I've already booked to go to Devon last week of Sept first of Oct.

Pete

get over here to Norfolk mate

u know it makes sense

get out on the east coast and have a walk around Horsey and Waxham......who knows what u might find, and u will have the place to yourselves, more or less....

Norfolks always good at any time of year.All ways have a long weekend at Portland in April. you could stay at the observatory about £10 a night (best to book).

alan_rymer said:
Annoy Elizabeth and go to Surrey!. Are there really any "best" birdwatching sites in Surrey?.

My garden is quite good at the moment - unfortunately siskin numbers are down in the fifties now - but the BTO's Garden BirdWatch still thought this was worth checking! There were 72 three weeks ago.

Jasonbirder said:
Devon could give Glossy Ibis, Spoonbill & passage waders at Bowling Green Marsh, Cirl Buntings and Woodlarks at Exminster, Dartford Warblers at Aylesbear Common, Waders, Terns and possibly Migrants at Dawlish Warren along with Cetti`s Warblers at Slapton Divers or Grebes possibly offshore still there and more Cirl Buntings and possibly migrants at Prawle Point - you`d have to be pretty unlucky for there not to be something rare and unusual in that part of the world at that time of year too....
As you say, there's a brilliant range of regular birds here - don't forget Ring Ouzels and the chance of Red Grouse on the moors either. However, as far as passing rarities go, Devon's very unpredictable in spring. Typically we either get a bumper year (like 2002 when we had the likes of Little Bittern, Elegant Tern and Lesser Grey Shrike) or we get nothing at all!

Jason

Ragna said:
Norfolks always good at any time of year.All ways have a long weekend at Portland in April. you could stay at the observatory about £10 a night (best to book).

Hey I'll be very dudish and book in to a nice hotel/pub with good food and beer (yes Elizabeth I know!!).

If I go to Kent it'll be South of Ashford. Tempting I lived in Kent for 3 years when I was very young.

Tim - has tempted me, I've never birded east of the Cromer/Norwich road. Only been there once in the past 25 years or so.

Non Birding reasons are against Norfolk whereas birding reasons............

alan_rymer said:
Annoy Elizabeth and go to Surrey!. Are there really any "best" birdwatching sites in Surrey?.

Errrrmm?? Maybe....But I can't say that there is a huge list of birding hotspots...

Places that you do hear about are the attractive sounding Beddington Sewage Farm which often seems to get quite a lot, plus the reservoirs around Staines area.

My own personal favourite area in Surrey is Thursley Common, which is good for Great Grey Shrike, Dartford Warbler, Nightjar, Woodlark etc (most of which I've never seen of course...)

Have to say that I don't go birding very often in Surrey, unless I'm just in my local patch....

Ragna said:
Alan there's about as many good bidwatching sites in Surrey as in Berkshire.
Ragna/Ruby

That was written "tounge in cheek" ( if thats possible! ) for Elisabeths benefit!.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back