• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Advice for 12X binoculars (1 Viewer)

Bowman

Hi all,
I watch this forum for quite time, I am very impressed with the quality here and this is for me the first time I post here.
I am not in birding but in archery as both a shooter and trainer.
I use for short distance a Russian 8X30 binoculars (copy of Zeiss) and for longer distances Meopta spotting scope.
I would like to have your advice as for the best 12X binoculars which will serve me for the in-between distances.
Thanks!

welcome

Bowman said:
Hi all,
I watch this forum for quite time, I am very impressed with the quality here and this is for me the first time I post here.
I use for short distance a Russian 8X30 binoculars (copy of Zeiss) and for longer distances Meopta spotting scope.
I would like to have your advice as for the best 12X binoculars which will serve me for the in-between distances.
Thanks!
Welcome to Birdforum,most birders here use 10 or 8Xs but i,m sure some one will help with tour request...

Bowman said:
Hi all,
Thanks!

My wife presented me with a pair of the 12x36 Canon IS IIs for Christmas. I just returned from a week in the Florida Keys with them, and I was extremely happy with their performance. The steady, 12x view was very much appreciated, and I am quite happy with them. Put them on your list of binoculars to check out in person. (Myself, I could not use 12x binoculars without the IS feature.)

Clear skies, Alan

I wish everyone would quite speaking so highly of the Canon bins. I'm trying very hard to be happy with my Zeiss FLs for the next few years.

Bill Atwood said:
I wish everyone would quite speaking so highly of the Canon bins. I'm trying very hard to be happy with my Zeiss FLs for the next few years.

Bill,

Although I love the steady 12x view with the Canon 12x36 IS IIs, there is a price to pay. They have fold down rubber eyecups, which I find far less convenient than the more modern twist up eyecups. They are reasonably comfortable in my hands, but not as nice a fit as my Swarovski 7x42 SLCS. Your Zeiss FLs almost certainly have a better fit and feel too.

They also suffer from some "Kidney bean" blackouts if I get my eyes positioned wrong - which may be more a function of the 3mm exit pupil than anything else.

The close focus of about 6 meters is a bit long and the 5 degree field a bit restrictive. For some the 14.5mm eye relief may not be suitable for glasses.

I do like the smoothness and speed of focus on the Canons.

Feel free to find any or all of these issues good reason to be happy with your Zeiss FLs. <g>

Clear skies, Alan

I have a Leica 12x50 BA and I always use it with a monopod. However, it does provide that extra reach which has been handy.

With kind wishes,
Arthur Pinewood

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back