• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birds youve seen at work (1 Viewer)

I might win the most boring award. From my office window, I've seen Great Tits, Black Redstarts, Jackdaws, and Rooks. 90% is Jackdaws and Rooks. I do like Jackdaws, but they're everywhere here.

Luxury! I work in a warehouse with no windows, so the only birds I see at work are those that end up in the warehouse. So far that's: Feral Rock Dove, Woodpigeon, Robin, and Sparrowhawk.

Now that I'm working in Carmarthenshire I feel like I'm quite spoilt bird wise. I quite often stop and have my sandwiches whilst out and about as well. Birds seen so far include:

Peregrine
Long-Tailed Duck
Ruff
Goldeneye
Whooper Swans
Goosander
Raven
Red Kite
Tree Sparrow
Kingfisher

Stroll on Spring:-O

Rich

Hang on a minute ... you actually are a lamb as in your avatar pic??

:eek!:

Haha! Very good. In fact, you don't know how close you are, as I share the surname and initials of a certain South-African born England cricketer from the 1980s!

Yes, that was me! Well, I was one of them, anyway...

Hope you enjoyed your look around. It's like a second home to me so I do enjoy showing it off to people - and you had a good day for it at least. It's not always quite as welcoming!

Great patch :)

Spent about half an hour at the lighthouse: gulls galore, plenty of passing guillemot, and several RT divers. One or two gannet way out, too, but other than eider, no sea ducks, unfortunately.

Last edited:
I work at the Library of Congress in DC. Plenty of mockingbirds here. That's about it. (Unless you want to count the starlings and house sparrows, which I don't.)

From the title of the thread, does the attached qualify?
MJB

Attachments

• Bird at work.jpg
    Bird at work.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 37
List of bird at the care homes where I work, in town, include willow warbler, turtle dove, grey wagtail,jay, peregrine falcon sat on the smoking shelter, fly over hobby chasing shifts, whopper and bewick swans, just to name a few

I work in a school in Tipton, West Midlands, UK - called the Black Country after the colour of the place in the Industrial Revolution......anyway saw a buzzard and a flock of gold finches today :)

I work in Liverpool city centre in an office sandwiched between the River Mersey and an unused dock.

So you get the usual gulls, mallard, coots, Canada geese and cormorants. In the vegetation near the car park you get goldfinch, robin, blackbirds and remarkably unwary dunnock. Pied wagtails on the paved areas.

Less often I've seen turnstone and oystercatcher flying up the river. The strangest sighting was a grey partridge that landed in the car park.

In my current office, the best I get is Alpine Swifts, which I often hear and sometimes see.

When on work trips, I get to see common countryside birds in a range of countries.

One time I even got a country first during work (albeit a little boring one): Zebra dove in Vietnam

Lovely views of Red Kite and a Common Buzzard whilst driving home along the A48 today.

Rich

My job takes me to our project office in Oxfordshire a couple of times a week and there are usually several red kites on show over the car park and adjacent railway land where the office is based. This last few days they have been displaying and generally enjoying the big blue. It is a real treat and a conversation point for everyone standing at the smoking shelter. Even all the non birders are fascinated by the superb close up views. I counted more individuals in one day than there were in the whole of the UK 30 years ago.

PS Read your trip report. Bad luck on the Caper front I will let you know if we get on any better next month.

My job takes me to our project office in Oxfordshire a couple of times a week and there are usually several red kites on show over the car park and adjacent railway land where the office is based. This last few days they have been displaying and generally enjoying the big blue. It is a real treat and a conversation point for everyone standing at the smoking shelter. Even all the non birders are fascinated by the superb close up views. I counted more individuals in one day than there were in the whole of the UK 30 years ago.

PS Read your trip report. Bad luck on the Caper front I will let you know if we get on any better next month.

Cheers Paul and good luck for next month.

Rich

I work offshore on survey vessels so am quite mobile. Depending on where we are in the world.

When not offshore I work from home a lot. Birds seen from my office window include Pallid Harrier, Rosy Starling and plenty more. I see White-tailed Eagles pretty much every day. I include few pics that I have taken whilst working from my home office (in Øygarden close to Bergen, SW Norway)

Attachments

• WT_Eagle_7555_880.jpg
    WT_Eagle_7555_880.jpg
    149.1 KB · Views: 51
  • Rosy_Starling_4861_880_e.jpg
    Rosy_Starling_4861_880_e.jpg
    134.3 KB · Views: 40
  • Pallid_Harrier_6242_880.jpg
    Pallid_Harrier_6242_880.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 52
I forgot to say, I used to work on a chemical plant up here in the North East, and the large gravel areas behind some of the manufacturing buildings used to be a good breeding ground for Oystercatcher. The site was fully secure, so despite the safety booted operators trudging close by and the occasional sulphurous smell, it was probably a good choice!

Some years ago, while working at the co-op, I saw a lesser spotted woodpecker in a tree. Not something you expect to see in a supermarket car park!

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back