• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Zeiss Victory HT - is its high price really justified? (1 Viewer)

absolut_beethoven

Yesterday and today I had to go to two large sporting goods stores - Bass Pro and Cabelas - in order to stock up on a few things that I needed. Yup, that's one of the advantages of living here in Texas, no shortage of these stores. While there I took the time to check out a few binos that have received quite a few enthusiastic endorsements on these forums lately. Namely the seldom reviewed 10x42 Leica Trinovid and its more expensive counterpart, the 10x32 Leica Ultravid HD.

Keeping in mind that all viewing was done indoors, but with the advantage that because I use optics over 8 hours a day every day, it's usually quick and easy for me to pick up most faults and differences quite easily, even under these less than ideal circumstances. More subtle faults and differences usually only show up after extensive comparisons under a wide range of lighting conditions over a much longer period of time, usually a month or two is enough in order to find anything that might bother me in the long term.

The short version is that I was really impressed with the 10x42 Trinovid. A very easy relaxing view and virtually zero CA in the sweet spot. No major distortions or weaknesses jumped out at me. Comparing it to the more expensive 10x32 Ultravid HD I thought that the latter was slightly brighter, but the view wasn't as relaxed and easy on the eyes as its cheaper sibling. Of course the former had the advantage of a larger objective lens. Surprisingly I saw a little more CA in the Ultravid HD than in the Trinovid. Sadly it's one of those distortions that always pops right out at me and I usually don't need to look too hard to see it if it's there. Having said that though the visible CA in the Ultravid HD didn't bother me at all for two main reasons. Firstly it's very slight in the sweet spot, and secondly it's very pale too, so it's quite easy to ignore it and just concentrate on the binos impressively bright and vivid view. It just surprised me that the cheaper Trinovid had less CA, so Leica really should update their Ultravid models soon in order to make sure that they're a lot better than their cheaper line.

That was yesterday at Bass Pro. Today at Cabelas I was able to spend about 5 minutes comparing the 10x42 Leica Trinovid versus Zeiss top dog, the 8x42 Zeiss Victory HT. Sadly, most of their display models, irrespective of brand, were all 10X magnification except for the aforementioned Zeiss HT. The view inside Cabelas is very similar to that of Bass Pro. At least 100,000 square feet of display space well lit by bright white HID lamps similar to those used to light up playing fields for baseball and football games at night.

I briefly checked out the Zeiss 10x42 at Cabelas a few months ago, but that display model was in terrible shape optically. The outside looked like it had been subjected to some rough handling and abuse and because I couldn't even get the left tube into perfect focus at all, either with the diopter adjustment or by focusing while closing my right eye, there's no doubt in my mind that abuse was the cause and not because it was a lemon.

Back to my comparisons at Cabelas earlier today. Once again the view through the 10x42 Trinovid was easy on the eyes and very relaxing. The type of view where you just want to sit back, relax and take in its outstanding view without worrying about minor and unimportant distortions or faults. None of which were readily apparent to me in that short time under those white HID lamps.

And then I picked up the 8x42 Zeiss Victory HT. Sure, no faults really jumped out at me when looking through the Trinovids, but WOW what a spectacular view through the HTs. Bright, sharp, vivid with clarity and contrast that I found truly amazing. Truly an immersive and IMHO very impressive view. In this price range, one always reads of the law of diminishing returns and having to spend a lot more money for only tiny incremental improvements. Clearly the Zeiss Victory HT shows you exactly what your extra funds buy.

The bottom line is that if had the money, I would have bought them right then and there on the spot!! Yes, they are truly that spectacular. I cannot think of a higher endorsement to give them. You guys out there that are fortunate enough to own them, all I can say is enjoy them in good health. Maybe one day I'll be fortunate enough to own them too :t:

Yesterday and today I had to go to two large sporting goods stores - Bass Pro and Cabelas - in order to stock up on a few things that I needed. Yup, that's one of the advantages of living here in Texas, no shortage of these stores. While there I took the time to check out a few binos that have received quite a few enthusiastic endorsements on these forums lately. Namely the seldom reviewed 10x42 Leica Trinovid and its more expensive counterpart, the 10x32 Leica Ultravid HD.

Keeping in mind that all viewing was done indoors, but with the advantage that because I use optics over 8 hours a day every day, it's usually quick and easy for me to pick up most faults and differences quite easily, even under these less than ideal circumstances. More subtle faults and differences usually only show up after extensive comparisons under a wide range of lighting conditions over a much longer period of time, usually a month or two is enough in order to find anything that might bother me in the long term.

The short version is that I was really impressed with the 10x42 Trinovid. A very easy relaxing view and virtually zero CA in the sweet spot. No major distortions or weaknesses jumped out at me. Comparing it to the more expensive 10x32 Ultravid HD I thought that the latter was slightly brighter, but the view wasn't as relaxed and easy on the eyes as its cheaper sibling. Of course the former had the advantage of a larger objective lens. Surprisingly I saw a little more CA in the Ultravid HD than in the Trinovid. Sadly it's one of those distortions that always pops right out at me and I usually don't need to look too hard to see it if it's there. Having said that though the visible CA in the Ultravid HD didn't bother me at all for two main reasons. Firstly it's very slight in the sweet spot, and secondly it's very pale too, so it's quite easy to ignore it and just concentrate on the binos impressively bright and vivid view. It just surprised me that the cheaper Trinovid had less CA, so Leica really should update their Ultravid models soon in order to make sure that they're a lot better than their cheaper line.

That was yesterday at Bass Pro. Today at Cabelas I was able to spend about 5 minutes comparing the 10x42 Leica Trinovid versus Zeiss top dog, the 8x42 Zeiss Victory HT. Sadly, most of their display models, irrespective of brand, were all 10X magnification except for the aforementioned Zeiss HT. The view inside Cabelas is very similar to that of Bass Pro. At least 100,000 square feet of display space well lit by bright white HID lamps similar to those used to light up playing fields for baseball and football games at night.

I briefly checked out the Zeiss 10x42 at Cabelas a few months ago, but that display model was in terrible shape optically. The outside looked like it had been subjected to some rough handling and abuse and because I couldn't even get the left tube into perfect focus at all, either with the diopter adjustment or by focusing while closing my right eye, there's no doubt in my mind that abuse was the cause and not because it was a lemon.

Back to my comparisons at Cabelas earlier today. Once again the view through the 10x42 Trinovid was easy on the eyes and very relaxing. The type of view where you just want to sit back, relax and take in its outstanding view without worrying about minor and unimportant distortions or faults. None of which were readily apparent to me in that short time under those white HID lamps.

And then I picked up the 8x42 Zeiss Victory HT. Sure, no faults really jumped out at me when looking through the Trinovids, but WOW what a spectacular view through the HTs. Bright, sharp, vivid with clarity and contrast that I found truly amazing. Truly an immersive and IMHO very impressive view. In this price range, one always reads of the law of diminishing returns and having to spend a lot more money for only tiny incremental improvements. Clearly the Zeiss Victory HT shows you exactly what your extra funds buy.

The bottom line is that if had the money, I would have bought them right then and there on the spot!! Yes, they are truly that spectacular. I cannot think of a higher endorsement to give them. You guys out there that are fortunate enough to own them, all I can say is enjoy them in good health. Maybe one day I'll be fortunate enough to own them too :t:

Beethoven

This reminds me so much of the the first time I looked though the HTs at the view across the valley from our house. I had my FLs by my side for comparison and I was entranced by the HTs.

There are lots of decent bins out there, there are quite a few excellent ones, there are just a few utterly superb bins, then there is the HT.

I won't argue with anyone who loves their Swaro or Ultravid more. We are talking about the difference between fine wines here. But for me, with my need for an all-round nature observation instrument, the HT is IT.

Hope you get your wish and your HT soon.

Happy 2014

Lee

I tried the HT for the first time recently at the nature store.
Based on specs online I thought it would feel real heavy
and just be too big.
However it was much nicer in person. It did not feel as heavy and
is designed so well. It has great handling/ergonomics. The focus was
really nice. I didn't get too much time to look through it, but
it was clearly razor sharp and bright. All around it is truly
well done and tippity top o' the line.

Thanks for the review of the new Trinovid. I think I may be the only
person who owns one on BF. :)

I know how you feel about the sports store only stocking 10x bins.
The store down the street has their very small collection of bins
in the hunting/gun section and it's all 10x. I guess this is the preferred
magnification for hunting.

Last edited:
The HT's are tops....period. I encourage anyone to try these bino's and try to pull away from the 'in store' look. If you order thru B and H or Eagles, they will allow you to return them it you don't like them but wow, what an opportunity to view/test them under field conditions. That is where the birder will find the true difference.

The HT does a superb job viewing birds in trees against cloudy or harsh conditions or picking up color in all conditions. And when you think about it, how many times are you birding against the clouds, ....low light, or into the sun etc? Lots of times! The egonomics of this bino is so super fine, that one doesn't want to put them down once you have them in your hands.

Good luck all with your binos...

I've owned quite a few different bins from most price ranges. The 8x42 HT's are the best binoculars I've ever used, bar none. Whether the price tag for that superb performance is worth it to most people is another matter. I had a chance to do side by side comparisons for a couple days at home between the HT and 8x42 HD's I returned due to continuing problems with the eye cups. The HT's were clearly and noticeably better, especially at dusk. Were they over twice the price better? Only for the most critical and those who don't want to wonder if there's something better out there (as well as those who can afford the best). Zeiss worked with me to get the HT's after all the problems with the 8x42 HD's otherwise I could not have afforded them.

I should add, that I've had no issues so far with my 8x32 HD's but they don't compare with the 8x42 HT's (as one would expect).

The HT's are tops....period. I encourage anyone to try these bino's and try to pull away from the 'in store' look. ........

I did, and several times in a side by side comparison to: a) Swarovski EL 8.5, b) Swarovski SLC HD 8x42 and c) Zeiss FL 7x42. The purpose of the comparison is to determine the best 8x42 that I would like to buy. Leicas UV and Trinovid are also in the race, but were not compared side-by-side. The bottom line is that I am still not the wiser, and still unable to determine the best one -- the differences are nebulous and those out of comparison are out for "non-optic" reason. For example, strangely, the EL is out because of serious discomfort with the open bridge structure and the location of the indents that force my elbows to be out and parallel to the ground, hence can not be held for long periods. Others (e.g., Leicas) enjoy historical affinity with me (yes, the BN 8x32 Trinovid, and UV 8x20), but--and unlike the teutonic Zeiss--can not be used without my prescription glass at all. However, because of the comfort and color of their view, they are still under consideration. I am waiting to test the new SLC that replaced the SLC HD.

The HT, however, is optically superb and a considerable ergonomic improvement over the FL -- it is certainly worthy of every praise said above--and objectively, it is now the top contender. I hope to make my move soon, so please keep your opinion and suggestions coming. Enjoy in good health.

Last edited:
The HT, however, is optically superb and a considerable ergonomic improvement over the FL -- it is certainly worthy of every praise said above--and objectively, it is now the top contender. I hope to make my move soon, so please keep your opinion and suggestions coming. Enjoy in good health.

I'm in the same process, awaiting Zeiss next move, and I saw the new 11x50 HT UL, in a dream a while ago, :smoke:

not that the current HT isn't good, but I now hesitate on the ergonomics which I loved the first time I tested it,

Don't forget that today there are 8x32:s as good as their larger cousins,
with good eye relief and transmission that are good enough,

I see more birders in the field today using 8x32, than 10 years ago,

Beth

What has happened to that nice pic of you?

And what (on earth) is your new pic??

LT

The pic of me is in my profile now. The avatar pic
is I think a Georgia O'Keefe close up of a flower.
If it is not an acutal O'Keefe painting then it is, to me,
reminiscent of one. My fav color is yellow, so I just
found something I liked in yellow for my new avatar.
I like to change it up frequently LT. :)

............Don't forget that today there are 8x32:s as good as their larger cousins,
with good eye relief and transmission that are good enough,

I see more birders in the field today using 8x32, than 10 years ago,

Thank you for the feedback. I am not disagreeing much -- but despite of currently enjoying the Zeiss FL 8x32 and Leica BN 8x32, the 8x42 by both makes are--in my opinion--is appreciably better. Further, the currently lower weight offered of 8x42 by UV, the HT and the SLC makes 8x42 model very attractive to birders and hikers alike.

It is important to confess that none of the above 8x32 models offer the "luxury" view rendered by the 7x42 FL. My use have changed over time (mainly because of age), and I just want the same 42 performance in 8 power, hence, the current effort discussed above. So far, the search continues, and the HT seems to be the top contender.

Last edited:
I did, and several times in a side by side comparison to: a) Swarovski EL 8.5, b) Swarovski SLC HD 8x42 and c) Zeiss FL 7x42. The purpose of the comparison is to determine the best 8x42 that I would like to buy. Leicas UV and Trinovid are also in the race, but were not compared side-by-side. The bottom line is that I am still not the wiser, and still unable to determine the best one -- the differences are nebulous and those out of comparison are out for "non-optic" reason.

I have to laugh for after my extensive field test and comparisons of several bino's ....I suggested in my review (here on BF) that it is far wiser to just purchase a pair of alphas and be done with it. The more one compares, the more confused you become. It would seem that there is no such thing as a 'perfect' binocular and each one brings to the field something unique and of high quality.

The bottom line for me after the comparisons was to figure out, (a) how I bird and (b) where I bird. That helped. I figured that while the Swaro had some excellent qualities about it....my birding is done is cloudy weather in many cases,.... (Ecuador or the Pacific NW and even here in Jersey)....and the HT is excellent with low light and viewing/color rendition and detail against harsh back drops such as in the trees against the clouds etc....

If I was doing more birding in Arizona...well, I might have selected the Swaro, not sure.....or most probably the Zeiss Conquest. But bottom line is that I am very pleased with the HT, very pleased.

I saw the thread title and thought it would be a bash-fest. Thankfully, after reading it, my hackles lowered and I was not required to leap to the HT's defence.............jeez, I am such a fanboy!;)

Yes, there is something very special in the HT view. I am convinced it has something to do with very low scatter / dispersion of stray light, giving that incredibly deep, rich contrast and apparent brightness.

I saw the thread title and thought it would be a bash-fest. Thankfully, after reading it, my hackles lowered and I was not required to leap to the HT's defence.............jeez, I am such a fanboy!;)

Yes, there is something very special in the HT view. I am convinced it has something to do with very low scatter / dispersion of stray light, giving that incredibly deep, rich contrast and apparent brightness.

I can't recall any truly negative opinions of this binocular since it came out.
If there were any on this forum then it has escaped me. Everyone seems
to only rave about it.

Last edited:
I can't recall any truly negative opinions of this binocular since it came out.
If there were any on this forum then it has escaped me. Everyone seems
to only rave about it.

This may be unwarranted and ignorant, but it's my opinion.
I have looked through the 10x42 at two occasions and immediately disliked it. Granted, if I could play with it for some time, a bond would form and I would appreciate the virtues it certainly must have, judging from everybody's praise.

In my opinion, such a lousy edge sharpness is unacceptable at that price level.
It is indeed bright, but so is the SV, which is also nearly perfectly colour neutral.
For me, the HT is a turbo-charged FL with all that comes with it, pros as well as cons.
These are my two cents and I have nothing to add to defend my opinion.
I may be wrong (if there's such things as right or wrong when it comes to opinions) but I'd rather put my money into an EDG or SV.

//L

I have looked through the 10x42 at two occasions and immediately disliked it. Granted, if I could play with it for some time, a bond would form and I would appreciate the virtues it certainly must have, judging from everybody's praise.

It is indeed bright, but so is the SV, which is also nearly perfectly colour neutral.
For me, the HT is a turbo-charged FL with all that comes with it, pros as well as cons.
I may be wrong (if there's such things as right or wrong when it comes to opinions) but I'd rather put my money into an EDG or SV.

//L

Try it for more than 5 minutes inside an optics shop - you would be amazed at how good a birding binocular it is - the best at the moment I would say. Now, if you want to look at test charts and graph paper, the SV would be the ticket.

That said, I can understand some peoples preference for flat fields and sharp-to-the-edge, although I still think that optical choice does have it own sort of drawbacks - it may be more scatter / glare or slightly less resolution or uneven sharpness. Whatever, I wouldn't want Zeiss to touch the HT - they just might wreck the ideal centrefield in the process, and this is the part of the binocular field I use 90% of the time, so it is much more important than the edge.

Last edited:

//L

SeKlart

You have descended into the gloom of Scandinavian winters. All of those dark nights and mostly dark days have clouded your eyes to the magnificence of the HT.

Take half a kg of surstromming and a bottle of Absolut and everything will be OK.

But of course if EDG or SV appeals more, that is also OK because as you say there is no right and wrong, just that you are mistaken ;)

Enjoy your bins whatever they are.

Lee

//L

You're not wrong...there is no right/wrong, but only opinion, what attributes you place importance on and what works specifically for you.
There is no perfect binocular. What could be near perfect to one person could be not so great to another.
The Trinovid is near perfect for me, but there are users who were dissapointed with it.

It is important to confess that none of the above 8x32 models offer the "luxury" view rendered by the 7x42 FL. My use have changed over time (mainly because of age), and I just want the same 42 performance in 8 power, hence, the current effort discussed above. So far, the search continues, and the HT seems to be the top contender.

I couldn't agree more, I have owned both the FL 8x32 and BN 8x32 some years ago, but switched to 7x42 FL (when I started to use glasses), at that time the 7x42 FL was the best I could find concerning view with glasses,
but the eye relief is still not 100% optimal for me.

Currently both nikon 8x32 EDG and Swaro 8x32 is as good in that aspect (eye relief) in my opinion, both also has a larger field of view than the 8x42:s.

And don't forget the Zeiss Conquest HD, rivals the swarovision according to this french review, if thats true its pretty amazing, considering price difference, but I haven't tested these two side by side yet myself.

http://www.topoptics.biz/Technique/Bras-de-fer/Swarovision1042_vs_ConquestHD1042.htm

I have seen a lot of reports on the lack of edge sharpness in the FL, and the few times I have used others FLs the edges were indeed a bit to soft. I never liked the FL enough to want to upgrade from my last pair. The 8x42 HT on the other hand, at least the pair I own and several others I have looked through, were far from having lousy edge sharpness. The edges are not quite as sharp as the center, but they are still plenty sharp.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back