• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Best binos for this situation (1 Viewer)

Birdie_fighter

Hello,

I will go to an indoor concert soon (the o2-arena in London), and I have terrible seats, so I'm looking for binoculars. Right now I'm thinking either Nikon Sportstar EX 8x25 or Nikon Sporter EX 8x42... I choose Sportstar because it's small, and have a wide field of view (which is good for concert), but then Sporter have a decent field of view, but bigger objective diameter, which yields a better view in the dark right... So which of these should I choose...? Also the distance between the seats (in the video) and stage is roughly 30 meters.

Here a video of the o2 and the seats I probably will have:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=THAFjT7TICg
http://img4.imageshack.us/img4/1949/o2arenadefault000792lay.gif

I know it's a bird forum, but this section is binos...

Best regards

EDIT: Oh man, this should be in the NIKON section... What a terrible mistake of me... Excuse me... Someone please delete it from this section... I'm ashamed. Forgive me.

Last edited:
Hi,
You probably do not want to spend a lot of the concert peering through binoculars, so the much more comfortable viewing provided by the Sporter is irrelevant. Also, unless you are happy to schlep a big set of optics to a probably very animated occasion, it is likely to be in your way. So go for the Sportstar and enjoy the concert!

I would choose the Sporter I just because it is a larger objective binocular. Eye placement and brightness levels would lead to a more comfortable image especially for extended viewing. Also consider the Nikon Action EX 7x35. Super wide field of view and noticeably better optics than either of the other two you mentioned. They can typically be had for between $100 and $120 US.

Hello,

I often use an 8x20, at the opera, so I suspect that the Sportstar will provide an adequately bright image.

Enjoy the concert!

Arthur Pinewood :hi:

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back