• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Please ID this bird from Sweden (1 Viewer)

Natterjak

Hi all

I'm in southern/central sweden and my garden borders woodland.

This bird has been visiting my garden for months and it's probably something common but I just don't know what the correct name is. I hope the photos are sufficient. It's taken ages to get any photo at all!

As you see it's a small brown bird, looks A bit like a sparrow except the head and body shape are different and there's a prominent white stripe on the wing. Earlier in the season the white stripe seemed more noticeable. This bird appears with it's mate which is plainer, more or less brown all over.

The bird likes to perch then swoop down onto the lawn to grab something, then return to its perch.

I do hope you can tell me what it is, I've been wondering for a while now. I'm going to post the pics on consecutive posts as I only seem to be allowed to attach one per post.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    128.8 KB · Views: 234
Wow, yes you're right Andrew! Thank you!!! I checked the Wikipedia page and it's exactly the bird I've been seeing all these months. What a relief to have that mystery solved.

I think it's because I'm posting from an iPad the forum doesn't let me attach more than one pic, because each is named "image.jpg" when it is uploaded, so each replaces rather than adds to its predecessor.

Pied flycatcher, well I would never have guessed that one. I've been googling the tit, wren and finch families. "Small brown birds". "Birds mistaken for sparrows" etc... But now I know :t:

Great forum this!

Interesting to see a Ficedula perched on a washing line!.....am putting mine up now. :t:

Haha, it's a badminton net in fact, although I also have a rotary washing line out there and I've seen him on it briefly in the past :) their favourite spot is a low branch on our silver birch tree and they must love it here because I see on the Wikipedia page they feed on ants and our garden is crawling with them this year.

Haha, it's a badminton net in fact, although I also have a rotary washing line out there and I've seen him on it briefly in the past :) their favourite spot is a low branch on our silver birch tree and they must love it here because I see on the Wikipedia page they feed on ants and our garden is crawling with them this year.

Yes....migrant passerines seem to be attracted to badminton nets!

We're at ''match point'' now Natterjack. ;)

Attachments

• P1360708.jpeg  Net Gain Chiffy.jpg
    P1360708.jpeg Net Gain Chiffy.jpg
    129.9 KB · Views: 124
Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back