• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

7x question. (1 Viewer)

MichelleOhio

I have a 6.5x32 EO Raven that I like very much for it's size and portability.

Can anyone tell me what advantages I would gain over the 6.5 by moving to a 7x36 Zen ED2?

Thanks!

Well, quite a bit. Good clarity, bigger sweet spot and 6.5 to 7x is a visible change. 10x to 10.5 for example is not.

Not sure of weights, check the specs.

I have a 6.5x32 EO Raven that I like very much for it's size and portability.

Can anyone tell me what advantages I would gain over the 6.5 by moving to a 7x36 Zen ED2?

Thanks!

Hello Michelle,

If I recall the EO Raven is a plastic body Porro binocular. The Zen 7x36 is heavier but of much more robust construction and is truly waterproof and slimmer. It has a wider Field of View.

However, since binocular use is so personal, I suggest that you try it before you buy or make sure you can return it and treat it carefully when you try it.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur Pinewood

Thanks, guys! I have a ZRS 8x42 that I like, but wanted something a bit smaller for using in tight areas. The Ravens are usually loaned to whomever tags along with me, so I struggle with the 8x.

Still in the thinking stages...I could just stop loaning my Ravens. ;)

So, I happen to have both and will offer the following observations.

The big thing is the quite obvious ergonomic and size difference. Roof vs, porro-night vs day. Sometimes I like one, sometimes the other. I would not say one is better than the other, just that they are different. If I was put in the position to choose one, I'd take the ZEN 7x36. Why, because overall I think the optics are a little better, and at least for me the depth of focus is better in the ZEN. The focus wheel movement in the Raven is stiffer and stickier than it is in the ZEN.

Tero is right in that the 7x ZEN seems to show a bit bigger image, but that may well be due to the tendency of a porro to show a smaller image than a roof of equal magnification. I can see the difference with the Raven and ZEN, but not with the 6.5x32 Fury and the ZEN.

The Raven will never give up its portability advantage to the ZEN. The ZEN is just about the same size as, say a Nikon Monarch. The centerfield resolution in the Raven is pretty decent, but not quite as good as the ZEN. Neither are stellar edge to edge sharp as some are wont to pursue.

EDIT: Now I see a couple of other posts showed up while I was typing this. Which ZRS do you have? If it is the original, you can solve your dilemma by switching to the new version, which is the most compact 8x42 I know of, and noticeably smaller than the original, as well as the ZEN 7x36. It is very little larger than the Diamondback 7x36 and the optics are better in the new ZRS as well.

Last edited:
Hi, Steve. I have the original ZRS HDs. I would love to upgrade them as well, but two upgrades aren't in the budget. Thank you for your thoughts. :)

Hi, Steve. I have the original ZRS HDs. I would love to upgrade them as well, but two upgrades aren't in the budget. Thank you for your thoughts. :)

I suppose my point was that the new ZRS is 99% of the optics upgrade of the ZEN ED at half the price. You sounded like you were OK with the ZRS except they were ocassionally too big. Looking at some self paid surgery and I'm certainly sympathetic about the fact money only goes so far, and I may well find out how well I really like each binocular I have. However, I would also have to tell you the 7x36 ED 2 is the better of the two, about the same size as the ZRS you have ;).

Gotcha, thanks again, Steve. Good luck with your surgery. If I decide to buy something now, I'll probably go with the 7x for better use on wooded trails. If not, I will try to find some patience and see what new binos pop up for Santa.

The thing I like about my 7x ED2 is its amazing depth of field. When I took them out birding, I only needed to gently move the focus a little bit to change focus from one distance to another. In a sense, it is very fast and forgiving focuser. The 7x ED2 has wider FOV than 6.5x raptor. Although it is not edge-edge sharp as Swarovision, my estimate is about 80% sweet spot with remaining still quite usable.

Bumping this thread as I am torn between two ZRS models...

Both ED2, but 7x36 or 8x43 is my trouble. I have ZRS original 8x42. Thoughts on one v. the other?

Last edited:
I finally sold the ZEN 8x43 ED2. I wound up keeping the 7x36 and 10x43 ED 2 models. I went with the 7x36 because of the combination of the wide field of view and a noticeably deeper depth of field compared to the 8x43. I found I could see no more detail with the 8x than I could with the 7x. So the previously stated reasons along with the fact that the 7x36 is noticeably smaller than the 8x43 finished the deal for me. The 10x is likely to get replaced by the new 9x36.

While the ZRS is a very nice binocular, it is better to get the ED 2 if you want to minimize the number of optics, that and the ED 2 is a better binocular IMO. Use the ZRS you have as a backup/loaner/spare binocular.

Last edited:
Thanks, Steve. I'm leaning hard toward the 7x, and your thoughts help. Between you and Charles, I think I may have made a decision.

And, Charles, THANK YOU! I hope to be in touch soon!

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back