• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Best tc to sigma 170-500 (1 Viewer)

Probably the Kenko, but don't expect too much. I have this TC but never use it on my Tamron 200-500. Slows focussing too much and I have found that I still get better results by not using it and cropping the image more. With distant birds, I can get away with cropping down to 1200x800 pixels if all i want is a 6x4 inch print. But if i've used the converter, I have to stick with 2400x1600 pixels to get the same image quality - which rather defeats the object.

I have tried both the Sigma and Kenko 1.4x tcs on this lens and would not bother with either. The AF will hunt badly and often not lock on, personally I think you'd be better served cropping your images a bit more rather than using a tc.

teleconverter plus sigma 170-500

I have used the kenko pro 3000 1.4x converter with my sigma 170-500 lens. I will post a photo but also have a few comments:

1) Don't even try to auto-focus. Set the lens on manual focus. In the old days that's all photographers did anyway. Most of the viewfinders on cameras these days are not really made for manual focusing and the image in the viewfinder is smaller. This makes it harder. I have found it useful to take a series of shots, at slightly different focusing settings, and then choose the best one.

2) Set the f-stop at f8 or less if the light permits. The image will be sharper.

3) Use a tripod. This setup cannot be very easily hand-held.

I think you'll get some acceptable pictures this way but expect a number of soft images. I'm personally glad I have the converter - it has taught me a lot about long lens technique and I've had fun with it, which for most of us is the name of the game.

Attachments

• teleconverter-plus-170-500.jpg
    teleconverter-plus-170-500.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 208
Last edited:
I have used the kenko pro 3000 1.4x converter with my sigma 170-500 lens. I will post a photo but also have a few comments:

1) Don't even try to auto-focus. Set the lens on manual focus. In the old days that's all photographers did anyway. Most of the viewfinders on cameras these days are not really made for manual focusing and the image in the viewfinder is smaller. This makes it harder. I have found it useful to take a series of shots, at slightly different focusing settings, and then choose the best one.

2) Set the f-stop at f8 or less if the light permits. The image will be sharper.

3) Use a tripod. This setup cannot be very easily hand-held.

I think you'll get some acceptable pictures this way but expect a number of soft images. I'm personally glad I have the converter - it has taught me a lot about long lens technique and I've had fun with it, which for most of us is the name of the game.

I agree whole heartly with this ... I'd also like to add that i too Own the
Sigma 170-500 and will never go to 500mm ... Too soft on the Image's ...
I alway's leave it on 400-420 and no more ... F8! is the Hotspot on mine
and on a lot of other's too, Since going from F5ish to F8 as dramatically
improved quality,
In good Sunlight i can AF up to 400mm With the Kenko Pro 300 ... It can
hunt but generally it will AF ... If Other's don't then it's just mine that
does lol ... Heard too many People say it Won't AF and have also heard
People saying it does ... All i can say is that Mine does,
BUT ... I prefer to Manual Focus anyway ... I learned Manual focusing on
Flying Bird's ... Then when they are still it's very easy ... Plus i'm a true
believer in that AF does'nt alway's focus as good as Manual ... Depend's on
a lot but that's my thinking anyway ... I tested AF and Manual on a static
object and "Generally" Manual was clearer after a few attempt's,
You may want to experiment with the AF setting's aswell ... This can
improve AF with the Kenko in good Light,
I now only use the Kenko on a 18-55 EF Lens ... Was EFS Kit Lens but done a Quick conversion ... I think the Kenko is going to have a try on my new
50mm 1.8 now it came in the Post Yesterday ... Nice Lens the 50mm at
£60ish pound,
Good luck ;) ,
Take care,
John,

Thank´s

Thank´s for information. I won´t buy tc, i think that tc is necessary in few moments.
I´m sorry my poor english.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back