• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (51 Viewers)

Hoping to drop in for the geese on route to North Norfolk from home on Sunday so if you could encourage them to stay around until then I'd be grateful!

Then planning visits to a few of the areas well documented on this thread inc Stubb Mill on Monday night weather permitting so if you see an overweight "Manc" with a party of 2 lads and a lass it'll probably be me so do say "hello".

SueBryan said:
Penny-- you will need a scope for the Red-breasted Geese. They are with the Brents but you will have to look very carefully through them. I am assuming once parked up you are continuing down the grassy track to where the Babingly comes out into the Ouse.
Good Luck!
Sue

Hi Sue, thanks, I had my scope with me (Nikon ED50) and parked at the very end and walked along high grassy track as far as you can go (as you described), but couldn't see any brents, never mind red breasted geese!!!!, just unlucky, thats the way it goes, never mind.

Thanks Sue

Best Wishes Penny :girl:

Well I have a few days off now from tonight. I was going to go for the B T Thrush first then move on down to Norfolk via the two Am Wigeons at Bubwith Ings.

As it looks like the Thrush has gone I will probably start at the Little Bunting site in Herts then into Suffolk before moving northwards through Norfolk. I will be staying for at least one night in Heacham which I will use to explore for Stone Curlews in the Brecks, then onto home probably on Sunday.

Hopefully the weather isn't going to be as bad as predicted.

Is there anyone else going to be in the area over the weekend?

John

Over to Cley this morning - pausing only to drop into cley spy for my first scope!
Bright sunny day, if a little chilly in the breeze. 5 Shore lark by the coastguards were nice, (I could see them!) but the highlight was the first little ringed plover of the year.

The north hide has been demolished by the way. No sign of the glaucous, a remarkably empty sea in fact but someone saw a couple of wheatears on the approach road to the cafe.

Lots of bearded tits popping up, and four marshies displaying well. But mostly just the joy of being able to properly see those little dots on the far side of the scrapes. I reckon I got at least two species more than I would have been able to id with just the bins. Brilliant toy.

edited to add: just heard of another camberwell beauty seen tuesday at horsford woods. Please look closely at any dark, large butterfly seen flying strongly - I'm sure there's more out there.

Last edited:
Penny Clarke said:
Hi Sue, thanks, I had my scope with me (Nikon ED50) and parked at the very end and walked along high grassy track as far as you can go (as you described), but couldn't see any brents, never mind red breasted geese!!!!, just unlucky, thats the way it goes, never mind.

Thanks Sue

Sorry about that Penny, I will take some super glue with me next time! I walked Snettisham country park this afternoon with very little reward. It was baking hot in my garden at Roydon but at Snettisham the wind was very chilly. My best birds were 2 Little Egrets and no Wheatears at all! Not even a Sand Martin. I guess the Northerly wind was keeping them away.
Sue :storm:

Just came back from a trip to the scottish highlands, does anyone know if the Red Kite is still at Dersingham Bog,

cheers, Connor

Hey ppl. Been reading through the 2nd page of this thread for sites where I may see the Golden Orioles, Stone Curlews at Weeting Heath and Nightjar/Nightingale at Salthouse Heath. However, I cant seem to find Weeting Heath or Salthouse Heath on the online maps. Any advice would be massively apreciated.

Jason

J Moss said:
However, I cant seem to find Weeting Heath or Salthouse Heath on the online maps. Any advice would be massively apreciated.

Jason

Are these any help, never driven to these areas myself so can't give road directions etc, the first two maps are for salthouse (TG 072425) and the second for weeting (TL 758881)

Matt

Attachments

• gam_ordsvywat-sun-1720997758463.png
    gam_ordsvywat-sun-1720997758463.png
    33.6 KB · Views: 83
  • gam_ordsvywat-sun-1720997658359.png
    gam_ordsvywat-sun-1720997658359.png
    58.1 KB · Views: 99
  • gam_ordsvywat-sun-1765617489109.png
    gam_ordsvywat-sun-1765617489109.png
    26.3 KB · Views: 96
  • gam_ordsvywat-sun-1765616489059.png
    gam_ordsvywat-sun-1765616489059.png
    48.4 KB · Views: 71
Last edited:
Waxwings

Saw the Waxwings along the main road on the way to work at Holkham Hall today at about lunchtime. Couldn't get a mobile signal to stick it on the pager though |8(|

Hey, this is my first post, although I have read the forum for a while, so hi to everyone!
I am based in Norwich and saw on one of the bird pager internet sites that a Black Redstart was seen in the city today, does anyone have any idea where?!
Thanks, James

James Emerson said:
Hey, this is my first post, although I have read the forum for a while, so hi to everyone!
I am based in Norwich and saw on one of the bird pager internet sites that a Black Redstart was seen in the city today, does anyone have any idea where?!
Thanks, James
Welcome to Birdforum James and to Tim's Norfolk Thread :t:

Connor Rand said:
Just came back from a trip to the scottish highlands, does anyone know if the Red Kite is still at Dersingham Bog,

cheers, Connor

Ahhhhh, wondered where you had been, look forward to hearing about your trip when I next see you. Are you going to the opening bash (if you know what I mean) on Saturday Connor? I am going, have not got a clue what time yet though. See you at Holme maybe sometime on Saturday.

James Emerson said:
Thanks, James

Hi James and let me offer another welcome to BF! I believe the Black Redstart was seen at the John Innes Centre near to the University Hospital but have no further info at the moment. Hopefully there'll be several passing through in the next few weeks. Perhaps some may stay to breed...

Edit: Welcome to Raptor Reveller too; long time no see friend. Been enjoying the Aylmerton blog for some time...

James

Last edited:
I see on the Great Yarmouth website that Jack Snipe are still being seen at Hickling. Anyone know where? I believe its not Rush Hills. If they are on Swim Coots is there any access yet?
(or does anyone know where else I might be able to see one in Norfolk at the moment (c 1 km east of Wells is not really enough detail, even if it was eventually two days in a row!))

Hi Penny, I am not going to the opening unfortunately but will be hoping to go down there soon. Will prob be at Holme on Sunday and should be there a few times next week, hopefully including Saturday,

Cheers, Connor

Had good views of the drake Green Winged Teal :bounce: today at Titchwell from Parrinder hide till at least 2:00 pm. Little Gull, Cetti's Warbler and 4 Chiffchaffs also present.

Male Ring Ouzel reported back at Holme today in dunes near the golfcourse by the lone beach hut...

Connor

Connor Rand said:
Hi Penny, I am not going to the opening unfortunately but will be hoping to go down there soon. Will prob be at Holme on Sunday and should be there a few times next week, hopefully including Saturday,

Cheers, Connor
Hi Connor, maybe see you next Saturday then, I am on holiday for a week starting Good Friday :bounce: - probably end up at Holme tomorrow pm - Happy Birding :t:

Two Red Breasted Geese showing reasonably Snettisham RSPB this afternoon + pale bellied Brent Goose, 2 male Wheatears, 4 Shorelark and Willow Warbler singing in coastal park with 7 Chiffchaff.

Cheers, Connor

Users who are viewing this thread

Back