• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (104 Viewers)

Ruralchill said:
Wow, wish i had known about the two Kites, I would have gone up to try and see them!

Just back from a walk around the local gravel pits. sgg Blackcap and up to 12 Chiffchaff, but still no Sand Martin! Two Cetti's Warbler singing, one's been around for a while, first time I've heard the other. Also saw 4 Great Spots together, presumably creating their territories.

(Nice to see a pic of the Glaucs wings, well done)

Sorry you missed them, RC. But if it's been there for a few days already and it was there earlyish so presumably overnighted then maybe it's settled in to stay and you'll stand another chance? It was very nice to see them together for the contrast.

had a visit from Chris (Norfolkbirder) and Jax.

Lovely walk down from Sea Palling to the Nelson's Head at Horsey, Chris and Jax scored with stunning views of cranes. I only scored fish and chips and some cracking Nelson's Revenge.

Pretty birdless apart from the regular stuff . Went out on the bike tonight and had 60+ wagtails going through... everyone a yarrellii. Field tested the ED50 and it's every bit as good as you could imagine. Reckon the ED78 will be away until seawatching season.

Northern Bullfinch trapped at Ormesby this afto

Tim

Last edited:
Ruralchill said:
Wow, wish i had known about the two Kites, I would have gone up to try and see them!

Just back from a walk around the local gravel pits. sgg Blackcap and up to 12 Chiffchaff, but still no Sand Martin! Two Cetti's Warbler singing, one's been around for a while, first time I've heard the other. Also saw 4 Great Spots together, presumably creating their territories.

(Nice to see a pic of the Glaucs wings, well done)

Well the Red Kite was mentioned ;)

pduxon said:
i always take the view that if you want to know what a girl will be like in 25 years look at her Mother......... ;)
Exactly!!!!!!!!!! HEEEEELLLLLLLPPPPPPP!!!!!!!!!

P.S. By the way, Major Gilbert has posted a brilliant picture of the Glaucous Gull (posted in gallery today)

Last edited:
Bramblings in the garden

Hi everyone,

Nice surprise Sunday morning with 3 Bramblings in the garden , 1 fem and 2 half moulted in males. Managed from my hide flap (in the shed!!) to get some nice shots, unaware of my presence they were showing down to 2.0m. Interestingly, unlike many species they were completely unbothered by the noisy shutter on my Canon.
Also did Sparham had 7 Chiffs, 2 Bullfinch, 1 Grey Wag, 7 Goosander & 1pr of Oyks.

Will post the Bramling pics later hopefully.

Good birding Chris

Day off today so had a mooch around a few sites in the nice weather.
A pleasent couple of hours at Dersingham. 3 woodlarks, red kite, 7 common buzzards, 11 sparrowhawks (6 together), female marsh harrier, 2 kestrel and a few chiffchaffs now starting to sing.
Couple of hours at Titchwell added common buzzard to my reserve yearlist. Teal still showing well and marsh harriers now displaying regularly.
Black redstart showed well although it was bit elusive around the barns on the wind.
Feels like spring is now on its way

had a very nice walk around Horsey and Waxham tonight with the greyhound

lovely sunset, stonechats and harriers performing well and Mistle Thrushes getting amorous. No migrants in evidence today.

will miss the longer evenings over the next three weeks while in India - I love it out here now, so quiet and such a fantastic place for birds. Must make the most of tomorrow evening. Although Fire-tailed Myzornis and Wedge-billed Wren-babblers are a mighty attraction, east Norfolk on a beautiful spring evening or a drizzly October day full of migrants, with the dog and lady in tow runs it very close these days... not to mention stopping off at the Nelson's for a beer...

Paul Eele said:
Day off today so had a mooch around a few sites in the nice weather.
A pleasent couple of hours at Dersingham. 3 woodlarks, red kite, 7 common buzzards, 11 sparrowhawks (6 together), female marsh harrier, 2 kestrel and a few chiffchaffs now starting to sing.
Couple of hours at Titchwell added common buzzard to my reserve yearlist. Teal still showing well and marsh harriers now displaying regularly.
Black redstart showed well although it was bit elusive around the barns on the wind.
Feels like spring is now on its way

Paul how well is the Teal shwoing?? Is it get close enough to drill with a 1000mm?? Might try and get up there before I shoot off on hols Saturday.

Tim have a great time in Kaziranga etc, I won't be thinking of you while I am in Oman!!

Ta Chris

Bramblings pics from the garden are uploaded at Brambling pics

Last edited:
Norfolkbirder said:
Paul how well is the Teal shwoing?? Is it get close enough to drill with a 1000mm?? Might try and get up there before I shoot off on hols Saturday.

I was there today and it was giving good views through a scope, but not much crack for photographing... even using a 500mm and 1.4x tc it was very small in the frame. Oh and it was in the worst position so I was shooting into the light... this is the best I could manage, a reconrd shot at best.

Attachments

• greenwingedteal_270307_0005.jpg
    greenwingedteal_270307_0005.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 84
Norfolkbirder said:

Hi Chris

The bird is fairly distant and spends most of its time between the path and Parrinder Hide along the reed edge. It does go missing for long periods and seems to be roosting in the reeds along that edge. You also need get the time of day right as the light always seem to be bad.
Cracking weather today - marsh harriers going mad, swallow through, 5 Cettis singing in the reedbed and chiffchaff in full song.

Paul

Hey Pete, how's tricks?

I asked very nicely... mind you it's not as if people are breaking the doors down to work in schools at the moment so it wasn't difficult... only two days as well. Enjoy Oman with Chris and the guys. Find some good stuff and keep that Oscar in check and stop him wandering off.

Purple Sands seemed to have moved on this evening. Wil check first thing tomorrow. Loadsa Turnstones on the washed up seaweed from last week's storms though.

Wild Goose Chase!!!!!!!

Went up to Lynn Point this evening after work to try and see the Red Breasted Geese, no luck!!!!!

Had a nice chiffchaff though, flitting about in the bushes, bullfinch, chaffinch, reed bunting, female kestrel sitting in a hawthorn. Tons of gulls, dozen redshank, heron and that was about it.

If anyone knows exactly where these geese were seen, I would be very grateful. I don't have a pager, but a friend who has, said they were seen this afternoon west of Lynn Point - apparently they were with brents and a little egret - I didn't see one single goose!!!!!!!

P.S. Have a fantastic holiday Tim and Chris.

P.P.S. I am going to have a fantastic time in Norfolk ;) , plus am on a holiday for a week easter week!!!!! :clap:

Best Wishes Penny :girl:

Last edited:
Tim Allwood said:
well see you for a curry soon after we return Penny

have a good break, plenty of migs and find something nice...

Tim
Will do, thanks, look forward to curry night. Have a good trip

Cheers Penny

Tim Allwood said:
Hey Pete, how's tricks?

I asked very nicely... mind you it's not as if people are breaking the doors down to work in schools at the moment so it wasn't difficult... only two days as well. Enjoy Oman with Chris and the guys. Find some good stuff and keep that Oscar in check and stop him wandering off.

Purple Sands seemed to have moved on this evening. Wil check first thing tomorrow. Loadsa Turnstones on the washed up seaweed from last week's storms though.

Hi Tim
I am off to India as well, hopefully to see a tiger! This will be my 3rd attempt!
Could you please ask my head teacher if I can have 3 weeks off?

Penny-- you will need a scope for the Red-breasted Geese. They are with the Brents but you will have to look very carefully through them. I am assuming once parked up you are continuing down the grassy track to where the Babingly comes out into the Ouse.
Good Luck!
Sue

Users who are viewing this thread

Back