• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Cirl Buntings (1 Viewer)

MOORMAN

Hello Everyone,

I have joined this site in the first place to try and get some help in seeing Cirl Buntings in Devon during October. I tried the county recorder, but he just gave me the most obvious place i.e. Prawle Point. As I am travelling to Cornwall from the north, I really need a site close to the A30 somewhere just south of Exeter. Can anyone help. I would like to see my 300th UK species on the way to Scillies, and it would be nice if it was a UK breeding species.

Thanks.

Andy.

When I needed a site in the Exeter area when on business I received the same advice, so I made the effort of driving from Exeter to Prawle.

I guess the intention is to keep people from putting pressure on other populations, and personally I respect that. Consider going out of your way to Prawle - it's a fantastic place.

Stephen.

Hi Moorman,

A warm welcome to BirdForum from all the Admin and Moderators.

I agree with Stephen. If you are being pointed to one site it is to provide protection to others. Hope you get to see them.

Added to which Cirls can be elusive little blighters and October is just about the worst time to be looking for them. The good thing about Prawle is that they are well nigh guaranteeable at any time of year.

MOORMAN said:
Hello Everyone,

I have joined this site in the first place to try and get some help in seeing Cirl Buntings in Devon during October. I tried the county recorder, but he just gave me the most obvious place i.e. Prawle Point. As I am travelling to Cornwall from the north, I really need a site close to the A30 somewhere just south of Exeter. Can anyone help. I would like to see my 300th UK species on the way to Scillies, and it would be nice if it was a UK breeding species.

Thanks.

Andy.

Andy

You could try Wembury to the south of Plymouth. It's easier to get to than Prawle. I stopped off here a few years ago on the way to the Scillies in October & found a few Cirl Buntings here in the hedgerows & fields along the coast.

You could try Exminster, in the village take a right into deepway lane by the school, follow the road right to the top of the hill and check out the hedges.Ive seen them there a few times, but they are hit and miss!!

Stuart

Mark Rolfe said:
Andy

You could try Wembury to the south of Plymouth. It's easier to get to than Prawle. I stopped off here a few years ago on the way to the Scillies in October & found a few Cirl Buntings here in the hedgerows & fields along the coast.

I think you will find that Cirl Buntings have gone from Wembury. Exminster is also very hit and miss this time of the year as well. To "guarantee" Cirls the best place is Prawle I am afraid. Roger

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back