• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norwich Birding (1 Viewer)

Eight Mistle Thrushes is a decent count at Whitlingham - I don't think I've seen more than six, and mostly only ones and twos of late.

The grebe sounds worth a look if anyone is that way - hopefully by being on the Little Broad it is less likely to be disturbed by boats etc. Fingers crossed it's still there at the weekend.

Nice walk around Whitlingham today. Most interesting was a distant two-toned grebe on the Little Broad that disappeared when I moved to get a better viewpoint.

6 Shoveler on the Little Broad and 5 Kingfisher sightings which must have been at least 2 different birds.

Referring to James' excellent report I see that 8 Mistle Thrushes with c20 Redwing on Whitlingham Meadows is worth a mention.

Meant to ask about Goldeneye at Whitlingham. Couldn't find any yesterday. Have any been seen this winter or is it just too mild?

On a separate note, Peregrines regularly seen from my city centre flat heading between the cathedral and the direction of the Golden Triangle- any ideas where they're going?

Will

Whitlingham

Had not read recent posts on this thread.

Just one great crested grebe at Conservation Area, the only grebe seen.
Little Broad Gadwall. Low in alders by near dyke a perched kingfisher.
Little of note on Great Broad.

I saw a female Goldeneye at Whitlingham on Jan 3rd, and had an email today saying two were present one day this week.

I'm not sure where the Peregrines are heading to, but I would guess either Sweetbriar or Earlham Marsh. Despite the ready availability of Feral Pigeons it seems like they like a mixed diet - Moorhen and Woodcock remains have been found near the Cathedral and I've seen them hunting Snipe and Teal.

Meant to ask about Goldeneye at Whitlingham. Couldn't find any yesterday. Have any been seen this winter or is it just too mild?

On a separate note, Peregrines regularly seen from my city centre flat heading between the cathedral and the direction of the Golden Triangle- any ideas where they're going?

Will

13x whooper swans over queens road heading south this morning at 11.41 am, my first city record. Also for the second day running a Little egret fishing at Marston marshes
Happy birding and a very late happy new year to u all!

Whilst I was at Whitlingham today another birder saw a Bittern. It was elusive (I didn't see it!) but was seen a couple of times in the reeds along the NE corner of the conservation area bay. You can only view that area from the start of the path down to the bird screen, or from the south side near the foot bridge about level with the island.

Not much else at Whitlingham, but loads of Snipe at Thorpe Marsh - I counted around 50 and that was just the ones visible along the edge of the broad.

2 Goldeneye at Whitlingham today, female partnering with a coot and a drake in flight heading towards, thorpe(?) marshes but couldn't be relocated. Also huge numbers of snipe gathering on the edge of Thorpe Marsh easily 100+ birds. Nothing really else apart from dog owners who shouldn't be dog owners...

Probably underwatched, but have lived close by on and off for 30 years. At the moment Sparrowhawk and Tawny Owl regular, couple of Song Thrushes singing in the morning. Treecreeper, Nuthatch and Goldcrest not too tricky to find. I would think that there are a fair few Woodcock in there too. IMHO it was more productive before the '88 storm. Suffers a bit now from being more recreational, but I love the place.

Probably underwatched, but have lived close by on and off for 30 years. At the moment Sparrowhawk and Tawny Owl regular, couple of Song Thrushes singing in the morning. Treecreeper, Nuthatch and Goldcrest not too tricky to find. I would think that there are a fair few Woodcock in there too. IMHO it was more productive before the '88 storm. Suffers a bit now from being more recreational, but I love the place.

As with most sites in Norwich it suffers from sh*t loads of out of control dogs.

I love dogs but places like Mousehold, Whitlingham and UEA are overrun with them running through every bush, chasing wildlife and crapping everywhere. The irresponsible dog owners being the problem, not the dogs.

As with most sites in Norwich it suffers from sh*t loads of out of control dogs.

I love dogs but places like Mousehold, Whitlingham and UEA are overrun with them running through every bush, chasing wildlife and crapping everywhere. The irresponsible dog owners being the problem, not the dogs.

Quite so, Whitlingham especially.

Mousehold & Wood Warblers

Didn't wood warbler used to breed on mousehold ? Possibly still a spring migrant?

Quite correct Stuart, my last record was May '93 but the odd bird may have turned up subsequently that I didn't see.

If I recall there was a site in Thorpe St Andrew as well around the same time, but I cant recall the name but it backed on to Pilling Park.

Quite correct Stuart, my last record was May '93 but the odd bird may have turned up subsequently that I didn't see.

If I recall there was a site in Thorpe St Andrew as well around the same time, but I cant recall the name but it backed on to Pilling Park.

Lion Wood is the wood you are referring to. A lovely sloping wood with plenty of mature trees if I remember correctly. When I worked at Thorpe Road delivery office I sometimes used to cut through there to get to my old post round on Wellesley Avenue.

Referring back to the last few posts - get there at the crack of dawn if you want a nice peaceful walk around but obviously, in the spring this is the best time anyway.

Steve.

Morning's stroll around UEA produced a rather surprisingly good selection of birds; Just as the sun was rising a single pink foot flew over, heading East. Shortly followed by fleeting views of a little owl. A grey wagtail was showing wonderfully in the horse paddocks and the mealy redpoll was still present with about 15-20 lesser redpoll around the feeders. Though I first picked up on the bird amongst a flock of chaffinches. Couldn't see if it had a ring or not, as I know the one that's been present has been ringed (I was there when it happened!). So who knows there could be a couple kicking around?! Also good views of brambling amongst the chaffinch flock.

Morning's stroll around UEA produced a rather surprisingly good selection of birds; Just as the sun was rising a single pink foot flew over, heading East. Shortly followed by fleeting views of a little owl. A grey wagtail was showing wonderfully in the horse paddocks and the mealy redpoll was still present with about 15-20 lesser redpoll around the feeders. Though I first picked up on the bird amongst a flock of chaffinches. Couldn't see if it had a ring or not, as I know the one that's been present has been ringed (I was there when it happened!). So who knows there could be a couple kicking around?! Also good views of brambling amongst the chaffinch flock.

We ringed 2 more on Friday, so there's definitely a couple (or more) kicking around

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back