• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birding and football (2 Viewers)

We both blobbed it again today, I fancy Mansfield for the title, they dominated us on our own pitch, best team I've seen this season.

I get to as many games as I can when I'm in the UK.
Quite a scare at Edgeley Park ( I suspected an accident when I saw they had 12 minutes injury time) , one of our lads was rushed to hospital after a nasty head clash. I can’t even blame the increasingly impressive Mansfield as he collided with another County player poor lad. I agree we may have to accept they’ll top the Division unless new blood is brought in:unsure::unsure:

Having seen this discussed briefly on another thread, I wondered how many birders are keen football fans too?

Where are you from originally, now, and who do you support?

Originally from County Durham, used to follow Sunderland all over, all types of competitions, e.g. midweek trips to Bristol in the first round of the Leyland Daf or whatever it was ('think the name of the competition had changed by then). That would have been a couple of years after Wolves beat Burnley in the final of that competition. 'Once lost a job and guaranteed income over Sunderland when my boss said I couldn't have the Monday off to go down to Chelsea. Aye, right-o mate, 'just took the day off anyway and went to Chelsea and faced the consequences on the Tuesday morning. I would go as far as to say that I planned my week around SAFC.

The game changed and it just wasn't the game I grew up with anymore. Everything about it really: an influx of foreign players, all seater grounds, diluted atmosphere, marketed as entertainment rather than an English working class passion. Foreign players are better players technically and if we produced the players we wouldn't import them, but I wasn't interested in watching Thierry Henry, I wanted to see Billy Whitehurst smashing into centre halves in the first few minutes to let them know they're in a game.

The money these people are paid is obscene. How can anyone warm to them? Paid a king's ransom, kissing the badge and then a couple of years later they move on and they're kissing some other club's badge. The England team is a good example of how players these days are so far removed from the working class: 100 million pound transfers, millionaires within a couple of months wages, angling for two or three hundred grand a week because presumably they can't make ends meet on 100 grand a week. Absurd. I'd rather see the Scottish or Welsh national team do well.

And, while these players are paid a fortune the price is ramped up for supporters, and so pricing out the working class supporter. There'll be a generation of Scousers who have never been to Anfield because they can't afford it but that doesn't matter to the clubs because they know that other people not from the area will take their place and pay the obscene entrance fee. I went to Man Utd in 1990 and we couldn't get tickets for the Sunderland end and so paid into the Stretford End, I can't remember exactly how much we paid to get in but I reckon it was about 4 quid. 'Same at Liverpool same season, we paid into the Kop because we couldn't get tickets for our end and it was about the same to get in. These days, tickets for away matches at places like Chelsea are upwards of 50 quid, and even Leeds was 47 quid at one point, the average person in West Yorkshire is hardly rolling in money.

Sunderland play Newcastle in the FA Cup at the end of this week. The biggest game of our season. Once over, I'd have done almost anything for a ticket for that match but I was looking at the weather forecast and the weather is going to be decent that day and so the chances are that I won't even watch it on television, I'll be out with camera and binoculars instead.

And then the governing bodies have far too much power. Champions League? What was wrong with the European Cup? There'll be a couple of hundred teams at the World Cup soon enough. VAR? Decisions that went against you were talking points in the pub after the match, we were robbed blind and so on. There was nothing wrong with the game that stood the test of time for a hundred years but they've gone and ruined it.

Long story short: these days football is so far removed from it was meant to be that it's a mess of a game, at its inception the football club came into being as the flagship of the community, these days the football club is no more than a money making vehicle and a play thing for wealthy owners. The game in this country was finished a good while back. At least for me anyway.

'May sound like a depressive tirade, but it's not really, just a commentary on how money/business has ruined the game (for some people anyway). The beauty of bird watching is that there is no governing body or wealthy interests who can turn it in into a money-making circus, you can simply go for your walks in nature and enjoy it as you see it!

Was in Istanbul the night the two lads were ambushed and murdered,attended the game the following night where our bus was attacked and please don’t believe any of the rumours about Leeds fans showing any disrespect to the Turkish people or flag it’s all bullshit.

Off topic but Istanbul is an edgy place away from football.

I went for a week just before Covid. In the space of a week a taxi driver tried to mug me and I was cornered twice and snarled at: "what are you doing here, you hate Muslims". I reckon they have a certain view of us which can only be their television presenting a certain image.

They have tourist police with guns, loads of them, for a reason. Everywhere I went, some fella would come over and say come with me we have great carpets or whatever and it was always in some corner of a back street away from prying eyes. I walked into this pub for a pint one night and there were 3 English lads sat drinking in the corner: one from Leeds, one from South Shields and one from the North West somewhere (they were contracting over there), so I had a couple of pints with them. This pub had glass windows and so you could see outside, when I went in it was lightish and as it started to get dark more and more Turks gathered and sat on a wall over the road staring into where we were sat in the pub. By the time I finished the second pint there were loads of them staring in and so I thought best to leave, fortunately I didn't have far to walk to where I was staying.

I know couples who have been and loved the place but I was wandering around on my own looking very English. You just couldn't relax, and it wasn't a religion thing but more a macho culture and a fondness for petty crime. 'Was glad to get out of the place and went onto Beirut, and the people were like chalk and cheese: they couldn't have been more welcoming and friendly in Beirut.

Istanbul is the only place in the world I've been to and thought never again.

No disrepect mate but would you say you are quite timid by nature?

Many of us here have travelled a fair bit, I've seen scenarios such as what you describe and I haven't really, ever felt threatened, that is not to say though, that you shouldn't be cautious and aware of your surroundings.

If the pub you were in was a touristy type place, maybe it has a 'reputation' for certain excesses, indulged by Westerners and the guys outside could have been looking to sell you something or 'provide a service'?

I have to say Paul, that is very different to what I've heard from Liverpool fans who went to the CL final in Istanbul in 2005, I don't think any of them had a shred of trouble.

Paris in 2022 on the other hand was apparently an awful experience for those who went. The idiot who thought putting a major stadium in Saint-Denis was a good idea probably ought to bear some of the blame there.

Wolves played Besiktas in a very rare venture into European football a couple of seasons back and didn't have an inch of trouble, people were incredibly welcoming.

By contrast, the one game we did have a great amount of trouble was Braga away in flippin Portugal of all places, attacked by riot police and missed half the game queueing up in pouring rain.

Just goes to show, you never know.

Haha, I got the impression that Istanbul was a city which was very easy to have a fight if you wanted one!
I didn't want a fight, but at a very busy zebra crossing, a taxi just seemed to plough thru everyone only to stop in a traffic jam just beyond the crossing, and right next to me .
I bent down and gave a confused expression to the taxi driver.
Next thing he was out of his car shouting a whole load of stuff at me, real aggressive pmsl, and I was dragged by my friend into the grand bazaar at high speed.
Literally for looking at someone funny
Of course that would never happen in Engl, oh, hang on...... ;)

No disrepect mate but would you say you are quite timid by nature?

Many of us here have travelled a fair bit, I've seen scenarios such as what you describe and I haven't really, ever felt threatened, that is not to say though, that you shouldn't be cautious and aware of your surroundings.

If the pub you were in was a touristy type place, maybe it has a 'reputation' for certain excesses, indulged by Westerners and the guys outside could have been looking to sell you something or 'provide a service'?

I suppose it's personal experience, Andy, and I just wanted to comment on Waccoe's post about the Leeds lads. I can imagine exactly what went on there because I've experienced what they're like. Maybe I was just unlucky and bumped into the wrong people but I don't think so because it was so prevalent. I've never had a problem in any other country in the world.

Timid? Not in its literal sense but I am more of a helper and friendly rather than an agitator and so I suppose in that sense I'm not one for confrontation. But, when you grew up in a working class area, that most people would describe as rough, you were in violent situations that weren't of your making and so you learned to stand up for yourself: you had no choice. When you've grown up in that rough working class environment and you've seen lots of violence, you have a sixth sense for when bother is coming to you. You can spot it a mile off because you've seen it so many times before. In the end, we are animals and we do have animal instinct. At least with the mob of Turks congregating over the side of the road I could see it a mile off, I didn't see it with the first taxi driver as that was the second day in Istanbul, I wasn't expecting anything like it and I'd never been robbed before.

When that taxi driver tried to rob me, on reflection it was a well worn routine. I was sat in the back seat and he said the fare whatever it was, so I gave him 20 (whatever the currency is, 'think it's lira), and like a magician the 20 disappeared out of his hand and there was a 1 lira note in there. There he was: you've given me 1 and so on, so I'm looking at him and the 1 and thinking what? But, I'm a trusting person unless someone gives me a reason not to trust them and so I thought it must have been me. 'Same again, gave him a 20 and with in the blink of an eye he had a 1 in his hand. This time, I'm thinking I'm almost positive I gave him a 20. So the next time I paid a lot more attention. He tried it again. This time I knew for a fact I'd given him a 20.

Aye, timid in the sense that I grew out of fighting when I was about 19 and was there on holiday rather than for confrontation but that old working class thing doesn't leave you when provoked, it's the only time in my life I've been robbed, and so I said: 'tell you what it is mate I'm not sure what I'm doing with these notes, I'll come 'round into the front seat and we'll sort it out. I'd been to the bank earlier so had a couple of hundred quid in my wallet and he's thinking he's going to take the lot but what he didn't know is that as I got out of the back I'm thinking can I fill this lad in and get away with it. I'm thinking well: I got in the taxi the other side of Istanbul and so he'll struggle to radio his pals in time before I've disappeared down a back street, it's broad daylight and so I can get lost in the crowds easy enough, I'm not far from where I'm staying and so I know where I'm going. Got in the front, and he was all menacing and locked the doors: "give me all of your money". He sharp changed his tune and I got my money back. I didn't fill him in but he would have deserved it, risk and reward: I got my money back, there's no reward in violence and the risk was that I'd end up in some Turkish nick eating bread and water for a few days. Absolutely the right decision to just leave it there, learn the lesson and shape up.

Everywhere I went it felt hostile and various people were trying it on in one form or another. I've never experienced that in any other country. When I was leaving to go to the airport, usually I'd just ring any taxi company or flag one down or ask the hotel owner to ring one, but I'd learned that these people weren't straight down the line and so I found a number from the internet of a reputable company thinking I've got some comeback if anything happens. The taxi turned up, I'd been in it 5 minutes, and the taxi driver started up, I half expected it: "my car needs to go in the garage to be fixed, my brother is following in a car behind, you get out of this car and into my brother's car". Right-o mate, you've no chance, drive to the airport. This went on for half an hour all the way out of Istanbul to the motorway, trying to get me into his 'brother's' car. I'd have been royally shafted. Everything I had on me would have been decimated in no time like 200 Waxwings stripping a rowan tree. When it didn't work and I refused to budge, he got on the motorway and swerved all over the road at about 80 or 90 MPH, looking at his phone while he was driving. Again, provocation, and so I'm sat in the back telling him if he doesn't drive like a sane human being he's going to have a problem. He calmed down a bit but was still driving like a maniac every now and again and trying to be clever. When we got out at the airport I felt like filling him in as well but it was a case of just get out of the country, leave them to it and just don't go back.

In a country/situation such as that, discretion certainly is the better part of valour. The coppers won't help you; they'll side with the locals (a quick look at the internet after the first attempted mugging tuned me in).

By the way, the pub wasn't a tourist pub. It was full of Turks who, to be fair, were no bother. The mob of lads over the road, rapidly increasing in numbers and staring at the 4 of us sat in the corner, was another matter. As I said, when you grew up in a certain environment and had experience of watching various edgy situations developing, you knew that this was another. You can spot it a mile off with experience.

That's just a couple of examples, and quite a few things happened in the space of a week. Very edgy people on the make was my experience. And, monumental bullies who seemed to thrive on intimidation, picking off what they thought were vulnerable targets (odds in their favour, their country, foreigners don't know the lay of the land and so on).

Some of my better experiences of mixing birding and football have been on European trips but your experience as a fan varies significantly by country and the experience and staying safe rather depends on a degree of intelligence on your destination and the attitude of the local constabulary.

All the best

Paul

We both blobbed it again today, I fancy Mansfield for the title, they dominated us on our own pitch, best team I've seen this season.

I get to as many games as I can when I'm in the UK.
Don't suppose you were at last night's goalfest then Andy? I was waiting for your congratulatory telegram ;) .
I was at Edgeley Park when we won the old Div 4 in 1967 (with just 69 goals scored in the 46 matches, a lot of 1-0 victories that season I recall, a big difference to this year!).
Hope your boys get back on track next season.

Don't suppose you were at last night's goalfest then Andy? I was waiting for your congratulatory telegram ;) .
I was at Edgeley Park when we won the old Div 4 in 1967 (with just 69 goals scored in the 46 matches, a lot of 1-0 victories that season I recall, a big difference to this year!).
Hope your boys get back on track next season.
No mate, just got back to Cyprus two weeks ago, last game I saw was Easter mondays 3-3 draw with MK Dons.

Stockport are definitely the best team in the division by a mile, congratulations!

Meanwhile, we continue to provide remarkable 'stats', 88 goals scored, 85 conceded and an amazing, 17 penalties conceded this season including two last night. We've had the same problem all season, piss poor defence, despite the scoreline, we had 65% possession which is typical of the season.

Wolves played Besiktas in a very rare venture into European football a couple of seasons back and didn't have an inch of trouble, people were incredibly welcoming.

By contrast, the one game we did have a great amount of trouble was Braga away in flippin Portugal of all places, attacked by riot police and missed half the game queueing up in pouring rain.

Just goes to show, you never know.
Went watch Leeds play PSV Eindhoven in 1995 they had shut most of the bars,but manage to find a restaurant serving beer maybe around 30 of in there anyway lad walks round and says have looked outside across the road, there was around 150 Endihoven lads just waiting for us to leave.
When it came time to leave we had agreed we all stick together and we don’t run and stand our ground,we started walking to the ground remember saying to my mate we are going to a kicking here anyway they started charging across the road we stood giving it come on then and then they just stopped half across and turn round ,They were hoping we would of ran and they could of pick of the a few us didn’t expect us to stand and fight,five minutes later a car comes racing down the road pulls up four guys jump out and the Eindhoven fans run the guys were Dutch undercover.
Being to Rome a few times to watch Leeds can be dodgy with the locals and the Police,Stuttgart away was a bit hairy at times although we were in the home end for this game,I also managed to get a ticket for Rangers away when no away fans were allowed and that was no problem.

Went watch Leeds play PSV Eindhoven in 1995 they had shut most of the bars,but manage to find a restaurant serving beer maybe around 30 of in there anyway lad walks round and says have looked outside across the road, there was around 150 Endihoven lads just waiting for us to leave.
When it came time to leave we had agreed we all stick together and we don’t run and stand our ground,we started walking to the ground remember saying to my mate we are going to a kicking here anyway they started charging across the road we stood giving it come on then and then they just stopped half across and turn round ,They were hoping we would of ran and they could of pick of the a few us didn’t expect us to stand and fight,five minutes later a car comes racing down the road pulls up four guys jump out and the Eindhoven fans run the guys were Dutch undercover.
Being to Rome a few times to watch Leeds can be dodgy with the locals and the Police,Stuttgart away was a bit hairy at times although we were in the home end for this game,I also managed to get a ticket for Rangers away when no away fans were allowed and that was no problem.
Excellent story of football hooliganism, well done.

Excellent story of football hooliganism, well done.
yes grown men fighting over the outcome of a ball kicked around by 11 men shorts slightly homo-erotic behaviour. the trouble with football fans is they are experts whilst stuck working in a minimum paid job. i used to love football but now its just about money so gave up following 40 years ago

yes grown men fighting over the outcome of a ball kicked around by 11 men shorts slightly homo-erotic behaviour. the trouble with football fans is they are experts whilst stuck working in a minimum paid job. i used to love football but now its just about money so gave up following 40 years ago
I am, and always have been, a Notts County supporter, right through the dark, hooligan days of the 70's and early 80's and I object to this statement, wholeheartedly.

An arrogant, middle class, opinion, I'd have been called a homophobe had I written this.

Last edited:
I am, and always have been, a Notts County supporter, right through the dark, hooligan days of the 70's and early 80's and I object to this statement, wholeheartedly.

An arrogant, middle class, opinion, I'd have been called a homophobe had I wrote this.
if over 10000 mainly men watching other men is shorts kick a ball about then go fighting on the result isnt homo-erotic what is?
also im so far removed from middle class! i live in council house and just living on universal credit so hardly middle class
but thanks for reminding me notts county existed thats a blast from the past

Anyway Andy, Stockport County's manager paid your lot quite a compliment in saying they'd completely changes their normal tactics to confront Notts County's free-flowing attacking style (apparently your team has a tendency to, er, over commit and leave themselves open to counter attack, hence the possession stats last night). I think I understood that correctly...

Anyway Andy, Stockport County's manager paid your lot quite a compliment in saying they'd completely changes their normal tactics to confront Notts County's free-flowing attacking style (apparently your team has a tendency to, er, over commit and leave themselves open to counter attack, hence the possession stats last night). I think I understood that correctly...
With our defence mate, it's wide open when the back four are where they're supposed to be but they keep falling over, evidence your first goal and then, add penalties to that. Without one personal error and two penalties, we may have delayed your celebrations by a week ;)

We had two players in the L2 team of the year including the Leagues best player, Jodi Jones.

The abolition of FA Cup replays from the first round proper, sees the end to the windfalls which for some clubs, literally, ensures their survival.

The BBC has also lost the rights to the FA Cup which will now be shown on TNT so no more, free to air football in the UK.

Last edited:
The abolition of FA Cup replays from the first round proper, sees the end to the windfalls which for some clubs, literally, ensures their survival.

The BBC has also lost the rights to the FA Cup which will now be shown on TNT so no more, free to air football in the UK.

Another nail in the coffin all to appease the greedy so called big 6,bet no one has asked the fans but they stopped caring about us a long time ago.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back