• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birding and football (1 Viewer)

wolfbirder

Having seen this discussed briefly on another thread, I wondered how many birders are keen football fans too?

I realise a lot have no interest whatsoever so please ignore, but I have a theory about the correlation between birding and who you support, perhaps if enough respond it might determine whether that is true.

Where are you from originally, now, and who do you support?

I’m from Whitmore Reans, Wolverhampton, and could leave my terraced house at 2.57pm and get in by 3pm. I now live on the pleasant outskirts and yes Wolverhampton has some very pleasant outskirts, and I am a long-time Wolves season ticket holder. First game 1969, aged 6 (a late starter)!

Went to my first Leeds game in 1977,but didn’t really start going regularly to home games till 81/82 started attending away games the following season. At around this time I’d stopped birding and didn’t pick up a pair of bins until 1993.
Got a season ticket for the 89/90 promotion season and kept till the mid 2000s only gave it up because I was made redundant.
I also followed Leeds all over Europe with over 20 trips including Moscow and Kiev( hire our own plane from Kiev down to the south of the country for this one) even went to Rangers away when away fans were banned
Was in Istanbul the night the two lads were ambushed and murdered,attended the game the following night where our bus was attacked and please don’t believe any of the rumours about Leeds fans showing any disrespect to the Turkish people or flag it’s all bullshit.
These days I just attend home games depending on my shift pattern so around 12 to 15 games.
Been Molineux a few times, always an interesting day out especially the eighties.

Our birding trip to Argentina and Antarctica in Dec 2022 coincided with the World Cup playoffs. For the final match vs. France which took place in the afternoon, we were in Villa Dolores, a small town near Córdoba, and we just finished a morning of birding with lovely finds such as Red-tailed Comet. It was quite the experience to then watch the game with our local guide and be among the residents during the ensuing happy bedlam.

Having seen this discussed briefly on another thread, I wondered how many birders are keen football fans too?

I realise a lot have no interest whatsoever so please ignore, but I have a theory about the correlation between birding and who you support, perhaps if enough respond it might determine whether that is true.

Where are you from originally, now, and who do you support?

I’m from Whitmore Reans, Wolverhampton, and could leave my terraced house at 2.57pm and get in by 3pm. I now live on the pleasant outskirts and yes Wolverhampton has some very pleasant outskirts, and I am a long-time Wolves season ticket holder. First game 1969, aged 6 (a late starter)!
Nottingham lad, third gen Notts County fan, my eldest daughter is fourth gen. I even met my first wife at the football, she is also a big 'Notts' fan and was working in the club shop.

I'm in the UK at the moment, getting a new passport sorted and will attend the first home game against Grimsby.

Stockport born but didn’t get to see my first County game till 1967 when our family moved back north from Somerset, we celebrated winning the old 4th Division with that match!
I have lived in France since 2006 so a long time since I last attended a game. Maybe in three or four years when we qualify for one of the European tournaments and are drawn against a French or Swiss side ;)
Nick, my first ever old 1st Division match was Boxing Day 1967, Old Trafford, Man U v Wolves with my dad and brother ( Dad an armchair united supporter). I was rooting for Wolves but they lost 4 - 0 I think, Derek Dougan was your no.9 I seem to recall and your goalie a very Welsh sounding name, Evan Williams or somesuch.

I take advantage of the thread to ask you a question that sometimes came to my mind, guys...
Do you know if many fans, in the stands, use binoculars during the game ?...
It's something I would do, but maybe I'd look ridiculous, alone in the crowd with my binoculars, haha !!
;)

I take advantage of the thread to ask you a question that sometimes came to my mind, guys...
Do you know if many fans, in the stands, use binoculars during the game ?...
It's something I would do, but maybe I'd look ridiculous, alone in the crowd with my binoculars, haha !!
;)
Yes, you would, you need to go to the ballet maybe.............

The more dire is your team, the more likely you are to go birding? :)

Wolves fan, huh? :)
Sorry Jos, its an affliction, Support my local club, lived 50 yards from Molineux when I was young.

My theory is that most birders are quite clever (myself excepted:unsure:), and have a good conscience and generally support their local club rather than one of the big obvious glory clubs. Its probably a load of tosh, and anyway people can support who they like.

Your theory is actually very credible.

Stockport born but didn’t get to see my first County game till 1967 when our family moved back north from Somerset, we celebrated winning the old 4th Division with that match!
I have lived in France since 2006 so a long time since I last attended a game. Maybe in three or four years when we qualify for one of the European tournaments and are drawn against a French or Swiss side ;)
Nick, my first ever old 1st Division match was Boxing Day 1967, Old Trafford, Man U v Wolves with my dad and brother ( Dad an armchair united supporter). I was rooting for Wolves but they lost 4 - 0 I think, Derek Dougan was your no.9 I seem to recall and your goalie a very Welsh sounding name, Evan Williams or somesuch.
Fair play Rich. Amazing how we all remember our first game.
Like our first good birding encounter.

I bumped in to Derek Dougan at St Pancras station on the way back from an England away game (Luxembourg or W Germany) and what a lovely man. He saw our scarves and came over to talk to us, I'll always remember him from watching 'Star Soccer' on Sundays with Hugh Johns the commentator.

I bumped in to Derek Dougan at St Pancras station on the way back from an England away game (Luxembourg or W Germany) and what a lovely man. He saw our scarves and came over to talk to us, I'll always remember him from watching 'Star Soccer' on Sundays with Hugh Johns the commentator.
Those were the days of characters Andy. Little did I realise that that 70s Wolves team with The Doog, Waggy, Bailey, McCalliog, Munro, Parkin, Hibbitt, Richards would be the best I’d ever see. Not moaning tho, 3 of the last 6 years have been superb with Neves etc. but watching Bully in the 3rd and 4th division was just as much fun.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back