• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

10x35 e2, Few Qs about ergonomics (1 Viewer)

keithdrengen

Is the eyecups on the 10x35 e2 made of rubber?
Can you fold them up and down?
Any ergonomic problem with them? (i dont use glasses).
I read that the focus knob is "slow", low-geared? But how stiff is it?
Is it like those old metal porros my dad used as in the Fifties?
Thanks - for a nice friendly forum.
-Carsten

Carsten,
The eyecups are rubber and can be folded down to accomodate eyeglass wearers. Some eyeglass wearers might find the eye relief a bit short. I don't wear glasses and have no problem. There are no problems with their ergonomics as far as I can see. Their focusing speed is about average, not as fast as the Nikon Roof Prism HGL/LXL, which is very fast. I wouldn't call the focus knob stiff or loose. Pleasantly firm. And the diopter adjusting ring is commendably stiff. The body is a magnesium alloy and I would guess it is significantly lighter than your father's old metal porro's. About 25 ounces I would guess. Same as the 10 x 42 SE. I'm sure they are also much more graceful in appearance than your fathers were. They are a rather handsome Porro, not short and squatty like their little brother the 8 x 30 EII. Their optics, however, are every bit as good as the legendary 8 x 30 EII!

Hope this helps,

Good birding!
Bob

Last edited:
Hi Carsten, just to support Bob there, I recently got a pair of 10x35 EII´s and agree with everything he said. They look like binoculars from the seventies, but are much, much lighter....lighter, in fact, than my Swaro EL 8x32´s. (If I remember correctly, all 10x bins in the seventies had to be carried in a wheelbarrow). Fold-down eyecups, a one-piece ep rainguard, detachable (but very snug-fitting) objective lens covers, and a view to match anything I´ve ever seen. I don´t use them all the time, but if I had bought them first, I would never have bought another pair of binos. I´m still trying to get used to the ergonomics of porros again, because I haven´t owned a pair for over twenty years. But they are comfortable and light...focussing is smooth, and close-to-infinity takes about 1.25 turns, I reckon. The "usable" focus range is about half that. If you have access to a dealer, I´d strongly recommend that you get a pair.

Is the eyecups on the 10x35 e2 made of rubber?
Can you fold them up and down?
Any ergonomic problem with them? (i dont use glasses).
I read that the focus knob is "slow", low-geared? But how stiff is it?
Is it like those old metal porros my dad used as in the Fifties?
Thanks - for a nice friendly forum.
-Carsten

Hi. I agree with what the other posters said. The ergonomics are very good. They achieve a sharp focus quickly and both IPD and diopter work just as they should. They have a very wide and useful 70 degree field of view. Quality of the view is very good. They feel solid, but do not weigh a country ton as glasses of 40 years ago did.

Well, there are various aspects to ergonomics. The focusing mechanism of the E2 is fine, and the image is terrific, ... but the %^&*## rubber eyecups are much too wide and push against the sides of my nose — allowing annoying side light to enter. The Swift 804 HR/5 Audubon is much superior.

Elk

Some eyeglass wearers might find the eye relief a bit short. I don't wear glasses and have no problem. Bob

How does a (too) short eyerelief reveal itself in a reallife situation? Hard to get a good view - important of perfect placement of the eyes? Blackouts?

Thanks

CJ

How does a (too) short eyerelief reveal itself in a reallife situation? Hard to get a good view - important of perfect placement of the eyes? Blackouts?

Thanks

CJ

If you wear eye glasses and the eye relief on your binocular is too short, your Field of View will be narrower than it would be if you did not wear glasses. Other than that, everything else should be the same. You won't get as expansive a view. To get the best overall view, if you wear glasses, you should consider using binoculars that have at least 16mm eye relief or more. Thin, close fitting glasses, generally require less eye relief than thicker glasses. It is important to try the binocular out first while wearing your glasses before buying it.
Bob

Last edited:
One thing I do notice about my EII 10x35 is that I sometimes have to adjust the IPD while using them. I'm not sure if this is a feature of all porros, and I think it happens if I try to focus on something quite close...the FOV circle "splits" into a sideways figure of eight (like the bino view in movies!), and I have to readjust IPD slightly inwards to clarify the view. I hope this makes sense, it might just be me.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back