• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Any experience buying from Japan via ebay to US? (1 Viewer)

b-lilja

I am looking to buy a Nikon Fieldscope from Japan on ebay - what are folks' experiences with this? Any issues? Seems like stuff gets well cared for there. Will the Nikon US warranty apply, or will it even be noted?

I owned this spotter for a while (82ED), and optically it is fantastic, but the variable eyepeice is very lacking. Poor FOV and eye relief are a real hinderance to this otherwise great package. The fixed EP's are way better, but lack upper end magnification. Also, I'm not a fan of Nikon's customer service. I've found them clueless the two times I've dealt with them.

Nikon's USA warranty has specific details in it. You have to include proof of purchase (Bill of Sale) if you seek repairs under warranty. That will disclose where the product was purchased from.

Here is a sample copy of it from their USA website:

http://www.nikonsportoptics.com/en_...ting-Scope-Non-Electronic-Warranty-Sample.pdf

Personally I had excellent service from Nikon when I sought warranty repairs in 2014 for my Nikon 10x32 EDG I binocular which I had purchased in 2010 from a USA dealer. Nikon opted to replace the binocular with the new model 10x32 EDG II. The coverings on the objective tubes on the EDG I had started to bubble and come loose.

Last edited:
Hi,

I would not count on getting warranty for a used product bought from abroad. Even the very nice lifetime warranty Nikon offers in the US extends to the original customer only.

And in other markets the terms are different (e.g. in Europe lifetime warranty is not allowed), so you'll probably not get the US terms for a product bought abroad - and maybe no warranty at all...

Joachim, who has bought an E2 from Japan regardless and still likes it a lot...

I recently purchased another fixed eyepiece for my Nikon EDG 65 spotter from a dealer in Japan on Ebay, knowing the lack of warranty. Item arrived quickly having no issues, new sealed in box. I saved a few hundred dollars not dealing with a USA authorized dealer. I would not hesitate to go out of country using Ebay or Amazon due to cost or availability issues.

I think you will have no warranty, but if you are OK w/that and price and availability are right, go for it. Such a purchase through ebay is no different than buying grey market from a place like B&H in the USA (except sometimes dealers provide their own sort of warranty) or buying direct from a Japanese dealer on Amazon marketplace. I've bought a number of manual focus Nikon camera lenses, Nikon Fieldscope eyepieces, and a Fieldscope 50ED angled body (new for under $250!) that way. Of all the Nikon equipment I've purchased over the last 30 years, only three items have needed service (Happily, they were all items covered by USA warranty), and two of those were binoculars, which are more complicated and thus more likely to break or need fixing than a scope or scope eyepiece.

--AP

I recently purchased another fixed eyepiece for my Nikon EDG 65 spotter from a dealer in Japan on Ebay, knowing the lack of warranty. Item arrived quickly having no issues, new sealed in box. I saved a few hundred dollars not dealing with a USA authorized dealer. I would not hesitate to go out of country using Ebay or Amazon due to cost or availability issues.

Since this reply I have purchased two more fixed power eyepieces from Japan for my EDG 65 spotting scope. The last one arrived last week as with the other two, new in box sealed. I know they are considered gray market(no warranty) but I have saved well over a thousand dollars total for not purchasing these three( FEP 20W, 25W & the 30W ) eyepieces from an authorized Nikon dealer here in the states. I guess this might be the reason for the lack of interest here on this forum for the EDG spotting scopes. While many here say they are ugly/heavy. I have yet to handle any other 65mm high end spotting scope that matches the EDG's over all build quality, both in the scope body or its fixed eyepieces. To my eyes the Nikon EDG 65mm spotter in use with the fixed power eyepieces I now use which provide a 16x, 20x and 24 power is in my opinion one of the best if not the best 65mm spotter in regards to its ability to provide the best optical view now possible when using fixed power eyepieces.

Last edited:
I purchased a Nikon 8x30 E2 from Japan through Ebay. Not a bit of problem and the price then was less than $400.00. You would have to send it to Japan for warranty service but Nikon's are usually trouble free so I wouldn't worry about it. Go for it.

I purchased a Nikon 8x30 E2 from Japan through Ebay. Not a bit of problem and the price then was less than $400.00. You would have to send it to Japan for warranty service but Nikon's are usually trouble free so I wouldn't worry about it. Go for it.

These particular 8x30 E2s can be ordered through the Nikon USA website but they are "temporarily out of inventory." If you can get one you won't have to worry about the warranty.:t::king:

http://www.nikonsportoptics.com/en/nikon-products/binoculars/8x30-eii-100th-anniversary.html

I owned this spotter for a while (82ED), and optically it is fantastic, but the variable eyepeice is very lacking. Poor FOV and eye relief are a real hinderance to this otherwise great package. The fixed EP's are way better, but lack upper end magnification.

Say what?! :eek!: There are not one, but two fixed eyepieces (the 40x/60x/75x Wide MC and the 40x/60x/75x Wide DS) that will yield 75x magnification with the ED82 body, and they both have the same huge AFOV. Then I think there were also older eyepieces with more conservative AFOV's also reaching 75x.

If 75x isn't upper end magnification for a 82 mm scope, then what is?

//L

These particular 8x30 E2s can be ordered through the Nikon USA website but they are "temporarily out of inventory." If you can get one you won't have to worry about the warranty.:t::king:

http://www.nikonsportoptics.com/en/nikon-products/binoculars/8x30-eii-100th-anniversary.html
$800.00 DOLLARS! I am used to paying no more than $400.00 for E2's. Here's the Nikon 8 x 30 E II 100th anniversary commemoration model from Japan for only $3007.00! You get a special strap and case. I am jumping on them.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Nikon-Binoc...744139?hash=item3f820bb1cb:g:9bMAAOSwkttZa5yz

Last edited:
$800.00 DOLLARS! I am used to paying no more than $400.00 for E2's. Here's the Nikon 8 x 30 E II 100th anniversary commemoration model from Japan for only $3007.00! You get a special strap and case. I am jumping on them.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Nikon-Binoc...744139?hash=item3f820bb1cb:g:9bMAAOSwkttZa5yz

It is the same binocular as the one in the USA website for $799.95 Dennis.

The Japanese must be speculating on them now!:eek!:

Order one from Nikon USA as an investment!:king:

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back