• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

I saved it!! (1 Viewer)

zoe4eva

I was watching this tiny coal tit whilst it was taking seeds from my feeders when I turned round and turned back, I think it knocked itself out on my shed? It was on the floor and squeaking, so I ran down the garden and picked him up, just as it started to rain. Then I held him for 5 mins and kept him from the cats in the garden. And he flew away after that. Sooooo tiny. I feel honoured. He wasn't damaged, as far as I can see, and now he's back pecking at the feeders. Yay!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    108.4 KB · Views: 65
Nice little story that. Amazing what small birds can survive.
Reminds me of that harsh winter 3 years back. I was just returning from taking our dog for a walk, when I noticed a male chaffinch crash into the drivers side window of my old Land Rover. My labrador witnessed it too and before I could do anything it was away, scooping up the chaffinch and running of with it through the garden and into our field next door. There it decided to play with the hapless bird by tossing it unmercifully into the air. Having crashed through the hedge and nimbly engaging the boundary barbed wire fence behind it, I was able to chase the dog off. I reached the bird lying motionless in the snowy ground. It looked dead. I picked it up and then I noticed a flinch in its eye. Some life. I carried it indoors and left it on the work top in the utility room while I searched for a suitable box to place it in to recover. When I returned it was full of life, fluttering madly around the room, bouncing off all the walls. Trauma No. 2. The chaffinch slid behind a gap in the utility room cupboard, leaving me cursing as to how I was going to retrieve it. I could hear it struggling behind the cupboard and I was left thinking about how I was going to dismantle it to rescue the bird. No need to panic, I removed the kicker board and coaxed it out. Covered in dust, the bird then flew off round our kitchen/ dining area, bouncing off more walls and windows drawing attention to the dog again. I was able to retrieve it again after it semi-stunned itself on a window. This time I opened a window and when it recovered sufficiently in my hand it flew off towards another flock of chaffinches in the garden feeding on ground seed, appearing none the worse off for its ordeals. Some tough little cookie that bird!

Si.

Sweet bird, never noticed the little white eyebrows before.

I never had either? Maybe it's a hybrid (or whatever u call it) or something? Either way, I haven't seen any tits in the garden today. Hardly any seed gone from the feeders in this awful wind-storm

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back