• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Suitable bag for 300 f/2.8 on 1dm3 (1 Viewer)

v_cowell

I don't know whether this is the correct place to post this, but as the title says I am looking out for a bag that will allow me to carry a 300mm f/2.8 lens fitted to a 1dm3. Ready for use. Any suggestions?

Vince

A lot depends as to whether or not you want the hood attached Vince - I have been looking and with the hood attached it requires a fairly large (and expensive) bag, whereas with the hood in the reverse position you can get away with something like the Lowpro mini trekker AW (but only just).

I just bought the Lowepro Vertex 300 AW, which will fit a 1D-series camera + 300 2.8L IS + hood + 2x extender all assembled together. The 200 AW will fit the same thing without the 2x extender :)

I was intending to carry it without the hood attached, but reversed. Probably with a 1.4, or 2x converter attached.

I was intending to carry it without the hood attached, but reversed. Probably with a 1.4, or 2x converter attached.
I do carry in the mini trekker with hood reversed and a 2x tc attached but it is a very tight fit -ideally you need something a little bit longer than the mini trekker.

The Lowepro Vertex 300 AW as RAZOR suggested is a fine bag but for me at 3.7 kg it is too heavy for carting around the field (the Mini trekker that I am used to is just 1.1 kg).

Have you looked at the Tamrac Expedition range? There are various sizes.
The one I have is not the biggest in the range, and I carry a camera, converter and f2.8 (hood reversed) ready to use. I also can get another lens, scope and bins in there as well! Mine is Nikon mind, so not sure how the lens length compares.
From what I recall I went for this over the Lowepro equivelant because it was noticably lighter. However, note that the Tamrac isnt 100% waterproof, and the Lowepro is, I think. I carry a bin bag for worst case scenarios, though never had to use it!

For carrying it around with the hood reversed I use the ThinkTank Glass Taxi. With the hood in shooting position I use the Lowepro 600AW. Neither solution make it easy to carry much else, although both can take a couple of Lowepro Sliplok cases.

Bit outside the box here but why does it have to be a dedicated rucksack?

I have an ordinary bright blue camera bag that mine fits in with hood attached plus room for other things and has a decent shoulder strap. And with the side pockets for my converters to fit in it does the same job really and you don't have to pay a fortune like with those mentioned above. No internal dividers but unless you want to carry round a few other lenses and a spare body then are they that necessary?

I can't remember the name of the company but when the NW Birdfair was on at Martin Mere back in Nov there was a tent with loads of camo gear in and amongst it they had camo bags along the same lines of what I use. By which I mean they're similar to sports bags in design. Must be able to find things like that somewhere on the net.

I use a flipside 300, which carries it with the hood reversed and with room for a 70-200f4, a large wide-angle like the 28-70, and both converters. It will fit with either of the two converters attached, but not with both attached. I don't use that stupid leather thing it came with, instead I use one of these.

For storing and transporting in the car I have an improvised set-up. A good quality holdall that I bought in a sale (£60 down to £14.99), some hardboard in the bottom, with a pillow and polystyrene sides - the lens with hood attached fit easily and snugly. When I reach my destination in the car I mount the lens/camera on a tripod or carry with the lens shoulder strap. I always take along my lightweight lowepro mini trekker that I have had for years and if it comes into rain I know I can put fit the camera and lens (+ a tc) in with the hood reversed. Heath Robinson set-up but it works for me.
For a hood I use a lenscoat Hoodie that was supplied when I bought the camera.

Last edited:
After having a search around I was quite fancying the look of the Lowepro flipside 400, do any of you have experience with this bag.

I have the Tamrac expedition 7 and it is a very tight fit with the hood reverse, also the bag are pretty heavy by itself and the harness are a bit ackward in use for storage in the car (or elsewhere). So I was looking at the Tenba 300 (hood reverse) and now at the Kata bag for pro and semi pro video camera as an other option. Particularly the CC 192 or 193 model. Those bagg are hold the 300 + pro body with the hood retracted. The oppening are very big with 2 zipper pulling, so it's easy to use fast on the spot. It is also realively light at 3 pound. Here in canada it is around $140-150.CDN. The Kinesis look interesting too.

Last edited:
I have tried a few bags and now think I have the right one, a Lowepro Computrekker Plus.

It's lightweight and of course has the 'AW' cover and the 300mm goes in with hood attached (not reveresed) and either a 1.4x or even a 2x.

Also plenty of room for loads of other gear.....if you can carry it.|=)|

Finaly I try the Kata 193 bag, but it was too thight and can't be store with a converter on. The next model the 195 work but it is the same price as the lowepro 600. So I opt for the last one, more place on the bag to attach lens bag.

Thanks for your update Avan, I was looking quite closely at the 193.
And thanks everyone else too for your input.
The lowepro lenstrekker 600 is looking pretty good to me at the moment so might plumb for that one. The Kinesis range look fine but are not any cheaper especially once import taxes are paid.

I have been looking at some bags HERE they do some very reasonably priced stuff inc a couple of holdall type shoulder bags that will take a 300/2.8 with Camera, extender and hood all attached and still have room to spare - not necessarily for walking with in the field but good for storage and transportation.

Unfortunatly the Kata 193 was very cheap at $130CDN. but I want a bag with the lens-shade open/ body/converter ready to use. the 193 was too tight, and can only accept a body and lens but no place for the converter on the lens. The 195 will do. The Lowepro 600 are a bit too long, but that mean more storage: with carefull placement, an other body (40D) and a standard lens on. Also this bagg have a backpack harness that can be remove enterly and a second strap come with the bag, so you can use it as a long shoulder bag. In canada it's the same price as the Kata 193 or a tenba LL300.

I have been looking at some bags HERE they do some very reasonably priced stuff inc a couple of holdall type shoulder bags that will take a 300/2.8 with Camera, extender and hood all attached and still have room to spare - not necessarily for walking with in the field but good for storage and transportation.

I think those are the ones I was on about. I'd personally much rather have one like them then spend extortionate amounts on the rucksacks. A certain amount is being spent on the name with them as well I think.

I'm in the same boat looking for a bag for the 300/2.8+2x TC+7d.
This one seems like a good lightweight option but it's pricey and I can't try it out in the store:
http://www.kgear.com/l/L311 .html

Right now I just have it in an old backpack but I guess it doesn't offer much protection and must have quite a bit of some dust in it.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back