• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Parakeet culling query (1 Viewer)

htcdude

Seeing as the RSPB are taking forever to reply I thought I'd ask on here..

This cull that's introduced for the Parakeets, does it apply to all Parakeets or just the Rose-ringed/Ring-necked?

There is no cull!
From January 1st in England Ringed Necked and Monk Parakeets will be added to the general licence in the certain catagories. For example, if you have a commercial orchard and parakeets damage your crop, (which they do) you can apply to Natural England of a licence to shoot them on your proporty. In protection terms this "demotes" parakeets to the status of crows and rooks etc, there is no general cull.

More on this here.

Seeing as the RSPB are taking forever to reply I thought I'd ask on here..

This cull that's introduced for the Parakeets, does it apply to all Parakeets or just the Rose-ringed/Ring-necked?
What cull?
They are on the same list as most corvids now. Ie: they can be killed if causing damage or are a public health risk if all other avenues of deterrence has been tried and failed.

Sounds like a good idea, they have already taken over the woodpecker holes round my local patch and although we've only got 20 or so at the moment - they're worse than rabbits!!!

From Natural England
Some media reports have indicated that Natural England is calling for the eradication of these species. We are not.

davewalters how can you say something as immflammatory as "every large Ring-necked Parakeet roost is going to be culled" that goes against all stated public comment from the Government body responsible and then say "I won't be commenting further on this thread." !

The North London cull was a trial of different methods of control and was subject to a Freddom of Infomation request details here.

Last edited:
Fortunately they have not spread as far as Leicestershire yet.
But to be honest if they picked out the buds from my plums, apples, and damsons I
might find a way to make them disappear

I have 10 truit trees and a fig tree packed into my garden. Frequently, each day small flocks of parakeets fly over and some even stop in nearby trees but I've yet to see them have a go at the fruit, the flowers or leaves. I don't cover them either. Its the damm wasps that cause me more problems than anything else.

We're not far from 2 main roosts but they are not a nuisance to us - yet

With reference to the rumours of a cull, it is VERY interesting to note that apparently 'researchers' from Imperial College London are doing 'research' into the effect of parakeets on native bird species. The first thing they want to do is get volunteers to help them 'find out' all the parakeet roosts in Britain. I wonder who is paying their research grant (I'd lay odds on DEFRA myself), and can't help thinking what a strange coincidence it is that this totally disinterested academic research to 'find out' where all the parakeets are comes just days after they were added to the general licence.

(Subscribers to Birdguides can read about this 'research' on their webzine, but it is subscribers only)

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back