• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Tripods (1 Viewer)

Chris Hammond

Hi everyone,

could I ask the forum members what their reccomendation for the ultimate nature photography tripod would be?

I'm currently using a heavyweight Manfrotto tripod which is fine for landscape etc. I'd like to buy a carbon fibre tripod for use in my nature photography, but the choice seems endless. Is there a recognised 'industry standard' carbon fibre tripod for wildlife photography?

Many thanks in anticipation.

Regards Chris

Hi everyone,

could I ask the forum members what their reccomendation for the ultimate nature photography tripod would be?

I'm currently using a heavyweight Manfrotto tripod which is fine for landscape etc. I'd like to buy a carbon fibre tripod for use in my nature photography, but the choice seems endless. Is there a recognised 'industry standard' carbon fibre tripod for wildlife photography?

Many thanks in anticipation.

Regards Chris

Hi Chris,

Not sure about 'industry standard' but Gitzo seem popular with wildlife photographers. I've got the GT3540ls and its chalk and cheese compared to my previous Manfrotto Carbon One. The systematic range don't have centre columns, but fully extended it is the perfect height for me (5' 11") and it goes down virtually flat for low level shots. I use it with a Manfrotto 393 gimbal head and a sigma 500mm f4.5 but the head of choice for people with Canon 500mm's seems to be the Wimberley/ King cobra gimbal heads.

Must admit I was pleased to get a great deal at the 'focus on imaging' show on the tripod because the only downside that I can see is that the Gitzo/Wimberley combination is in excess of £1000!

Hope that helps

Paul

Hi Chris
I second Paul's vote for Gitzo/ Wimberley. I used to use a Manfrott0 55 with 136 video head for my 600mm for yeeears but a change to the more expensive option was a revelation in rigidity and sharp pics. I use a Gitzo 1348 with Wimberley 11 head. No centre column so goes from 4.5" to 65"!!

Another vote for the Gitzos, I got the 3530LSV which is a 3 leg section one, I upgraded from the 1257 and never looked back!!! As they mentioned its pricey but it well worth it. I got it with a RRS BH-55 and a WH II, great set up!!

Cheers!! :brains:

Thanks for the advice folks. I think to be honest that those options are a little outside of my budget, but I'm thinking maybe I'll hold off buying one until they aren't.

Regards Chris

Last edited:
You may want to move the post to the Tripod forum under photography. That way you will probably get more answers!!

Saludos!

The Gitzo CF tripods are the "standard," pretty much. Sorry about your wallet :). It then becomes a matter of how large a Gitzo one needs for one's particular rig.

I personally don't favor a gimbal type tripod head and prefer a ballhead like the Arca-Swiss B1 or a Markins. The fact is that although these items seem expensive, you will be using them constantly for some years (at least until something better is invented, hoho), so they do represent a worthwhile investment.

One annoying thing about carbon fiber tripods is that they never seem to come down much in price. I'm so used to high-tech things getting better and cheaper that I keep expecting this to happen with the tripods. No such luck. Guess it's because they aren't electronic. :-(

I'd agree with others about Gitzo tripods, sure they do cost a lot but they are amazingly good. I've been using Manfrotto tripods for years and got my first Gitzo last month, the difference is obvious. Choice of head is always a personal thing, most pros seem to go for gimbals as they make panning with a large lens very easy. With smaller lenses ball head or video heads are also very popular.

Hi again,

I'm using a Sigma 50-500mm APO f4.5/6.3 on a Nikon D200. I think my current tripod is a Manfrotto 55 with a ball head attachment. I get by okay with it, but it's too heavy for comfortable treks over a distance.

Regards Chris

Hi again,

I'm using a Sigma 50-500mm APO f4.5/6.3 on a Nikon D200. I think my current tripod is a Manfrotto 55 with a ball head attachment. I get by okay with it, but it's too heavy for comfortable treks over a distance.

Regards Chris
Chris,
You will find that many carbon pro grade tripods are as heavy or heavier than the aluminium ones you may be used too. This is because they have thicker wall sections to dampen vibration, which carbon is better at doing than ally.
My Gitzo G1548 is about 5kg with the head, but i wouldnt be without it even on longer treks.

Chris,

It may be worth checking your local ads or car boots sales, as it always amazes me what people do throw out. I did come across an old studio tripod before xmas for a £5.

It all depends on what weight you need to support.

I still use the old 70s gitzo ali studio camera tripod, with a bit of metalwork, I fitted the Wimberley to it. It's heavy but rock solid.

I also have the carbon fibre, which is lighter, but not so efficient in certain situation, such as a communal hide.

Thanks for the advice folks. I think to be honest that those options are a little outside of my budget, but I'm thinking maybe I'll hold off buying one until they aren't.

Regards Chris
There's a new range of CF tripods from Velbon that are pretty nicely priced. No idea as to the quality, but they may be worth looking at.

Take a look at www.feisol.com they have just come out with a new model Ct 3342/CT3442 max weight 10kgs, only weighs just over a kilo comes with a 3 year warrenty you can only buy from the manufacturer the price is in dollars but with taxes(3.7%) and vat all in it works out at just over £200. From other internet forums Those that have Feisol tripods seem to be very pleased with them and their customer service is excellent.

Last edited:
Take a look at www.feisol.com they have just come out with a new model Ct 3342/CT3442 max weight 10kgs, only weighs just over a kilo comes with a 3 year warrenty you can only buy from the manufacturer the price is in dollars but with taxes(3.7%) and vat all in it works out at just over £200. From other internet forums Those that have Feisol tripods seem to be very pleased with them and their customer service is excellent.

They look very interesting though personally I'd want to try a tripod 'in the flesh' before buying it. From the spec they are clearly able to hold a good weight, I wonder just how solid they are.

I use a Benbo Trekker mk1 (the big one) i find its ideal for 99% of nature/wildlife shots etc once you get used to wrestling it (all Benbo owners know what i'm talking about)
Great build quality but main - point is its not Carbon Fibre 8-( i don't find it too bad to carry but i'm 6'4" 16st so most feel quite light.
If you can check out the Benbo's you might be impressed.
Cheers and good luck with the search!
Brian

I use the Benro Flexpod - also carbon fibre, 3 section. Light, amazingly flexible, and handles everything up to the Sigma 300-800...!

Really great tripod.

Manfrotto have a new carbon fiber tripod call MFV 055 it's a 055 classic with CF leg (4pound vs 5+ for the original classic and the CF a bit more rigid). The new tripod are a bit cheaper than the CF 055 pro. Like for bike, weight loss have a price, in canada the classic are 160.00 and the MFV 350.00 (around 700 pound sterling).

Manfrotto have a new carbon fiber tripod call MFV 055 it's a 055 classic with CF leg (4pound vs 5+ for the original classic and the CF a bit more rigid). The new tripod are a bit cheaper than the CF 055 pro. Like for bike, weight loss have a price, in canada the classic are 160.00 and the MFV 350.00 (around 700 pound sterling).

The 055 MFV has been available in the UK for a couple of years now, it retails for ~£200. It's ~£80 more than the metal version (055V) and will save you ~280g.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back