• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Target bird species for 2014 (1 Viewer)

I'd like to get Tree Sparrow, Honey Buzzard, Spotshank, Yellow wagtail, Blackstart in the UK next year but I'm not counting on it.

Here in the US it would be nice to get Lawrence's Goldfinch, Wood DuckBlack-vented Shearwater and Cinnamon Teal, all common birds here but I can never find them.

Wouldn't mind seeing a Blackstart anywhere in Europe, nevermind the UK. ;)

Chris

Spoon-billed Sandpiper in Thailand in November. A long time to wait for that, so having totted up my Flintshire list the other day I'd quite like to move it on from 164 to 180 by the end of the year. Trips up to Point of Ayr to try for stuff like Guillemot, Great Northern Diver, Arctic Tern, Med Gull and the like should keep me busy, as well as seeking out sites for Tree Pipit, Redstart, Crossbill and a few others. There's even a long shot chance of another trip in the offing that could yield up a much wanted species but I don't want to jinx things by spelling it out here, so I'll be back with the full skinny if and when things firm up.

Good luck one and all, and I trust everyone will be back here to keep us updated as to which of these targets are getting hit

James

as well as seeking out sites for Tree Pipit, Redstart, Crossbill and a few others.

I used to live on Nercwys mountain and those three were regular in that area. On my last visit back there there were singing Tree Pipits and there were Crossbills around. I'm sure the Redstarts are still about although I think the Wood Warblers may have gone now?

Geoff

Cheers Geoff, that's really good to know

Nercwys was at the back of my mind for those three. Never really 'worked' on my Flintshire list, hence the gaps. I've had Wood Warbler up on Hope Mountain a couple of years back, so they're still in the area.

James

I have yet to take satisfactory photos in the British Isles of:

Cory's Shearwater
Storm Petrel
Leach's Petrel
Snow Goose
Smew
Dotterel
Kentish Plover
Temminck's Stint
Caspian Gull
Bee-eater
Tawny Pipit
Lesser Redpoll
Scottish Crossbill
Serin
Ortolan Bunting

Abroad, we resume the great wolf hunt (in Wyoming, this time) in August. I am also hoping for Prairie Falcon, American Avocet and plenty of other bits and bobs on that trip, including Bison, Pronghorn and Mountain Goat.

I have two British terrestrial mammals still to photograph (at all!) and they are, inevitably, difficult ones - Wildcat and Common Vole.

Plenty to keep me occupied.

John

Smew and Caspian Gull at Dungeness?

Hen Harrier skydancing, Black Grouse lekking and a Bittern I think. There's so many species I want to see in the UK again, even though I've seen them before. Things like Turtle Dove, Yellowhammer and Dartford Warbler, particularly in Wales, I'd love to see.

In April I'll be making my first trip to South America, with a couple of weeks in Ecuador. Time spent in the rain forest along the Napo river, a visit to some cloud forest and then the Galapagos, should ensure a large number of lifers. At the risk of becoming an outcast, my biggest wishes are things that don't fly. With varying degrees of likelihood, I'll be mos chuffed with jaguars, cougars, giant river otters, various primates and what not. The bird that'll leave me most disappointed if I don't see one will be the Galapagos Penguin. I need to read up what'll be about in the jungle, but Harpy Eagle is the one that jumps to mind.

Hen Harrier skydancing, Black Grouse lekking and a Bittern I think. There's so many species I want to see in the UK again, even though I've seen them before. Things like Turtle Dove, Yellowhammer and Dartford Warbler, particularly in Wales, I'd love to see.

Kenfig Pool is good for Bitterns Justin.

Rich

I hope to see Blue-cheeked Bee-eater at some point this year, if I manage to fulfill a SE Turkey trip.

In the UK I have 4 targets - Kentish Plover, Tawny Pipit, Cory's and Great Shearwaters - all birds I still need for UK ticks. Also a Corncrake would be a lifer!

Like others have said though, it would be great to see Hen Harriers breed in England again!

With much consideration about locations i will be visiting this year the list is as follows.
BoP.
Goshawk
Hen Harrier

Waders
Curlew Sandpiper
Wood Sandpiper
Baird Sandpiper

Migrants
Wood Warbler
Redstart
Grasshopper Warbler
Also a good number of seabirds mainly Gulls and a few Shearwaters but to be very honest any bird what i have not seen will be a treat for me and many birds i have seen countless times will also be a treat, never get sick of looking at some birds, the Bullfinch springs to mind but thats for another forum. Good luck to everyone.

Would like to see Australian Owlet Nightjar, heard themand seen a shape moving off but still not really seen one!

Perhaps 2014 will be the year I get up to Michigan to see the KIRTLAND'S WARBLER!

Here I've been sitting here less than an hours drive from a known breeding site and I still haven't gone over to see one. Sometime in 2014, I'm sure.

I'd also like to add Blackburnian, Black-Throated Green (and Blue), and Chestnut-Sided Warbler to my list (slowly gaining), as well as a Warbling Vireo among other accidentals. Maybe a Snowy Owl too if I don't pick one up on the invasion before 2014.

Happy Holidays to all!

With 2014 less than two weeks away, I was wondering which bird species people hope to see next year. For me, I am hoping to find a Bald Ibis in Morocco in January. Back at home in England, I would love to see a Long-eared Owl. What would everyone else like to see in 2014?

Are you joking? Although it’s a rare species, Bald Ibis is one of the easiest birds to find in Morocco (Souss Massa NP, Cap Ghir and Tamri Estuary). There are other species far more difficult to find because of different reasons (habitat, low population density, bird's behaviour...), like Egyptian Nightjar, Western Mourning Wheatear, Small Buttonquail...

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back