• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Target bird species for 2014 (1 Viewer)

My 2014 wish list includes least and crested auklets and bristle-thighed curlew, along with siberian vagrants in the spring. I'm heading to Gambel and Nome.

Current plans have me going to Colombia in November. Too many species there to list!

Good luck here Jeff and enjoy your LOAD of lifebirds!!
;-)

Drat, already missed my top Mexican targets, including the much-coveted Slaty Vireo (Dwarf Vireo was a good consolation lifer though). Some chance of returning in December...

Likely going after Baird's Sparrow or Bendire's Thrasher this weekend.

Concentrating on my home town.Two rail species,Sora and Yellow Rail and Le Conte's Sparrow.not seen or heard last year.Should have got Orchard Oriole last year in a good spot try harder 2014.

Golden Oriole would be great, assuming they return to their UK breeding spot.

Otherwise Hawfinch, my utter bogey bird, 2 or 3 of which are seen every winter (more or less) in my local woods.

Lots of targets on a family holiday to Australia this summer but White-throated Grasswren in Kakadu has to be my no.1, followed by Rufous Scrub-bird at Lamington NP, both difficult birds. Spotted Quail-thrush and White-winged Fairywren too within a few hours of Brisbane if I manage to get away.

In Iceland a simple Rock Pipit this winter would do.

Concentrating on my home town.Two rail species,Sora and Yellow Rail and Le Conte's Sparrow.not seen or heard last year.Should have got Orchard Oriole last year in a good spot try harder 2014.
Good luck with this! Would be very interested to hear if you actually do encounter a Yellow Rail, and where - that's one of my all-time worst nemeses, curs'd thing. :C

Peter

Lots of targets on a family holiday to Australia this summer but White-throated Grasswren in Kakadu has to be my no.1, followed by Rufous Scrub-bird at Lamington NP, both difficult birds. Spotted Quail-thrush and White-winged Fairywren too within a few hours of Brisbane if I manage to get away.

In Iceland a simple Rock Pipit this winter would do.

Ouch, Mr. E., major envy attack! |8(|

So much regret that I didn't go straight into accountancy school (not), so that I would have made my packet by now, and have retired on my investments (har, har). Lots of great birds to see in Aus., my #1 would be any Emu-wren, but the grasswrens are close behind...

Ouch, Mr. E., major envy attack! |8(|

So much regret that I didn't go straight into accountancy school (not), so that I would have made my packet by now, and have retired on my investments (har, har). Lots of great birds to see in Aus., my #1 would be any Emu-wren, but the grasswrens are close behind...

Good point, Southern Emu-wren would be another bird very near the top of the list. But I'll have 7-year olds in tow so I'll have to pick and choose my targets carefully. And Rainbow Pitta, how could I forget Rainbow Pitta?

Not totally successful

Hopefully in January / February in Phillipines - we will see Palawan Peacock Pheasant, Steere's Pita, Visayan Broadbill, Silvery Kingfisher and among other endemics if really lucky a Cebu Flowerpecker.
In Aug / Sept West Coast US - Surfbird, California Condor, Clarke's Nutcracker and Great Grey owl.

We did get Palawan Peacock Pheasant, Silvery Kingfisher and I saw the Broadbill, Sarah only saw it fly away, but we only heard the Steere's Pitta and not a sniff of Cebu Flowerpecker but we did clean up on most other endemic Flowerpeckers.

Roll on August.

I wish to finish my "birds of prey" list (including vultures) of Europe. Lammergeier, Saker Falcon, Gyrfalcon and Eastern Imperial Eagle are the 4 left to go. I will probably reduce this to 3 by April as I will go to the Pyrenees for Lammergeier :D!

And Rainbow Pitta, how could I forget Rainbow Pitta?

How indeed?

If you're going to be in Kakadu, there's a forest tract near Ubirr - don't remember what it's called, maybe just "Ubirr forest" - where DMM and I found the Pitta, way back in 2003. It's quite an easy walk, should be manageable with the young'uns along. They should also enjoy the mudskippers in the creeks around there, I imagine that sort of thing would appeal (and it may be a good "teachable moment" about evolution, into the bargain).

By the way (getting back on track), I did indeed get my 2014 numero uno target - Elfin-woods Warbler - in 2013, during the morning of New Year's Eve, in Puerto Rico. Hallelujah!

Dipped on the PR Nightjar the following day, unfortunately (did hear a few). However, can't complain, as we saw a bunch of other Puerto Rican endemics in the first days of this year.

Got my conformation, today, for a conference in Magadan so .......... Aleutian Tern. If I see nothing else this year I'll be more than happy with that.

Ah. Well my list this year is very much the same as last year because November-March isn't long enough for me to find cinnamon teal.

And now they tell me there are pintails around Los Angeles and they are common (honestly didn't even think they were in this state at all). That's another one to search for then.

Lawrence's goldfinch remains on the list, extremely few records of this species locally though its another "common". Are they going extinct!?

Started 2 years ago and my life list stands around 750. With near 600 seen last year (Borneo x2, Spain, UK, Japan, HK and China) I'm hoping to beat that this year with planned trips to Spain, Scotland or Iceland, HK, Peninsular Malaysia, Sichuan, Hainan and Yunnan provinces in China. Although Pittas and Trogons are always top of the list I also have to tick Spoon-billed Sandpiper since it passes by on migration twice a year very close (3 hours drive) to Shanghai !

For me, I'm hoping to finally nail down some of my old nemeses (most of which are embarrassingly easy, just lack of time or luck). Already had great views of Japanese Waxwing (most wanted Shanghai wintering bird) and Heuglin's/Lesser Black-backed Gull (something I should've had much earlier, but somehow kept missing). My want list for 2014 include-
1. Hooded Crane (a 3-hour trip to a closeby marsh should really nail me this one, not sure why I don't have it yet)
2. Great Knot (again, no idea why I don't have this one yet. I have Red Knot, a far rarer bird, and somehow don't have the default medium wader here..)
3. Bar-headed Goose
4. Pallas's Gull
5. Brown-headed Gull
6. Black-necked Crane
7. Hume's Short-toed Lark
8. Hume's Groundpecker
9. Bluethroat
10. Bohemian Waxwing

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back