• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mallorca 2017 (6 Viewers)

Hi Patrick, I was at the lighthouse before 7am and had to leave just after eleven. We must have been near each other! Perhaps we could meet up sometime. Mike

Hi Patrick

I was also at Prat Sant Jordi today, early afternoon. The first time I have stopped by here. Clearly some change-over at this site at the moment, with no Wood Sandpipers present, but two Redshank, 4 Greenshank and 4 Green Sandpipers on the pools in addition to your counts. Three Curlew Sandpipers also arrived as I was leaving, and a Ringed Plover flew over calling. Very interesting little puddle of water!

Hi Mike,
I got there about 9:30 after spending some time at Passage 5, I tucked in at one of the locked gates further up the road from the lighthouse, hoping for both migration and local birds. Indeed let's try to meet next time.

Hi JMoss, we must have missed each other, I must have been there by 3:30 or so.
Yes a good little patch, I just wish people did not use the area as a dump site.

Well after processing the pictures of yesterday at the Cap, it turns out that at least one the Black Kite was a dark morph Booted Eagle, and maybe a second too, depending on the ID on the picture below.
And I forgot to mention a Hobby.

Attachments

• Cap-20170919-7.jpg
    Cap-20170919-7.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 120
  • Cap-20170919-6.jpg
    Cap-20170919-6.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 107
A few of the H. Buzzards of yesterday at the Cap.

Attachments

• Cap-20170919-2.jpg
    Cap-20170919-2.jpg
    141.9 KB · Views: 106
  • Cap-20170919-3.jpg
    Cap-20170919-3.jpg
    134.6 KB · Views: 103
  • Cap-20170919-4.jpg
    Cap-20170919-4.jpg
    143.3 KB · Views: 107
Great stuff Patrick, what magnificent birds the Honey Buzzards are. We are very lucky here in Mallorca to see so many every spring and autumn. Mike

Mortix etc

Myself and Pere Tomas were at the Mortitx today. Three Bonelli's Eagles showed well including one superb adult perched on a rocky ridge offering really detailed plumage study. Cuber gave the usual suspects inc seven BVs, three Griffin vultures, four Ravens, Peregrine chasing an Eleanora' falcon across the reservoir and a Kestrel.
Phil T

Excellent jasmacq, I hope one of the others took some photos. Slender-billed gulls are rare but it's the right time of the year although four of them would be exceptional. There were some big storms just previous to the sighting so just about anything could turn up. Thanks again, Mike

La Gola

Hello!
Some good birds this morning at la Gola:
-Purple Heron
-Grey Heron
-Kingfisher
-Common Sandpiper
-Common coot
-Moorhen
-Yellow-legged Gull
-Black-headed Gull
-Wood pigeon and Collared Dove
-Yellow Wagtail
-Grey Wagtail
-Wheatear
-Robin
-Blackbird
-Sadinian Warbler
-Zitting cisticola
-Firecrest
-Willow warblers
-Spotted Flycatcher
-Pied Flycatcher
-Great Tit
-Common Starling
-House Sparrow
-Crossbill

Regards,
Cristina

Talks at la Gola Center

Hello again,
just let you know this information about some interesting talks we'll start at la Gola.

Attachments

• imatge xerrades-cafè ang.jpg
    imatge xerrades-cafè ang.jpg
    137.5 KB · Views: 84
just a few shot of the very distant Rock Sparrows seen on the 15 sept, would have been great if they were closer but these will have to do till next time..
Steve.

Attachments

• DSCN0529 (800x573).jpg
    DSCN0529 (800x573).jpg
    148.4 KB · Views: 95
  • DSCN0530 (800x571).jpg
    DSCN0530 (800x571).jpg
    170.3 KB · Views: 83
  • DSCN0532 (800x572).jpg
    DSCN0532 (800x572).jpg
    186.3 KB · Views: 69
  • DSCN0525 (800x577).jpg
    DSCN0525 (800x577).jpg
    156.4 KB · Views: 62
Albufereta Whimbrels

Mike.
Albufereta. 7.45am this morning in the grass field right of the large platform were two Whimbrel. I assume their status here is 'winter migrant'. Are they early or about on time?
Phil T

Mike.
Albufereta. 7.45am this morning in the grass field right of the large platform were two Whimbrel. I assume their status here is 'winter migrant'. Are they early or about on time?
Phil T

The 2015 Bird Report gives post-nuptual records from late July to mid October.
Martin

Last edited:
We had a fantastic 1cy Pallid Harrier (a lifer for my seven weeks old daughter!) at the Cap yesterday. Sadly no Rock Sparrows (yet, but we’re not giving up on them.)
At S’Albufera we had a 1cy Bar-tailed Godwit, a Little Stint, a Greenshank and the usual suspects.

Cheers
Martin

Hi Martin, sorry I can't be with you but what a fantastic start! A Balearic rarity and a lifer for your daughter, she will have a great list by the time you leave.
The Rock sparrows are best seen early morning in the trees to the left of the field you are looking at by the passatge no. 5. You can hear them calling. I hope you connect. All the best, Mike

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back