• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Widest field inexpensive compact bins (1 Viewer)

Bino Chick

Raptor watcher, love seeing them soar
Trying to buy a pair of light compact binos, probably 8x25, for a hiking trip in very open country, looking for the widest view. Can anyone recommend a brand with a wide field ? My budget is under £150. Thanx. Ana

Ana,

Wide field and compacts don't really go together. The smallest real wide view I can think of is the Nikon Monarch 7 8x30 but that's way over budget. Otherwise about 120m/1000m seems to be as good as it gets. The Bushnell Elite 7x26 reverse porro is a favourite on the forum, but slightly over budget, not waterproof and probably a bit bulky. I think the Hawke Sapphire ED is pretty good, it has 119m/1000m, is only 240g and folds pretty small. I find these small double hinges a bit fiddly to use personally but they may suite smaller hands better. Clifton has them at £149 at the moment. Otherwise the Olympus PCi 8x25 has a smaller FOV, isn't waterproof but is well liked here and would save you some money. The Nikon Travelite EX is waterproof but a bit more bulky. The other cheaper compacts I've tried I've generally found disappointing. Of course there are plenty I haven't tried.

David

Thanx David, I have looked at some Opticrons, as I already have an Opticron bino, single hinge is easier to handle for me too but thought I would ask if there are any with a bit wider field.

Thanx Bob, I did not know about those. They seem really inexpensive and the view is about 140m i think ? Really low eye relief though. Thanx Ana

These are essentially the same binocular as the Trailblazer/Sportster:

http://www.tringastro.co.uk/opticron-imia-8x25-compact-binoculars-6094-p.asp

HTH

Pete

^^^ That is a very good recommendation.

The Vanguard Platinum 8x25 has a generous 122m @ 1000m, is single hinge, with fully multi-coated lenses, waterproof, and nice accessories.

Not that you can easily find one when you want one as it is now discontinued …

Scopesnskies had some on clearance a while ago and they may be worth a call, otherwise one of the German camera shops has one unit for sale iro £120.00 delivered, which I think is very reasonable ( http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vanguard-Fernglas-SDT-8250P-DCF-8x25-Platinum-Serie-NEU-OVP-/360474773788?pt=DE_Foto_Camcorder_Ferngl%C3%A4ser&hash=item53edf8891c ).

I quite liked this little bino, it’s nice and light and I also prefer single hinge compacts to the double hinged ones, the view is quite acceptable. With eye position being super critical in this size of bin sufficient eye relief will be a prime consideration for many.

The Opticron Verano BGA PC 8x25 which you’ve probably seen does offer good eye relief, Tring Astro have them just in budget, although the field is 110m.

I guess there may be others from the recent past that are worth looking for as well ?

Best wishes,

...I did not know about those. They seem really inexpensive and the view is about 140m i think ? Really low eye relief though...

And quite mediocre optically as well, esp. w/respect to contrast (like all cheap pocket roofs). Stick w/reverse porros for _much_ better overall optical quality. As I recall, the Vortex 8x26 Vanquish has better than average FOV for bins in this class.

--AP

Bushnell Excursion 8x28 no doubt. 140 m/1000 m. Mine was really nice for such a cheap binocular, but I can't cope with the focus direction so I dumped it.

Thnx pete, Samandag, Alexis, looksharp65, nice to have all your advice. I guess waterproof is a necessity where we are going and the Vanguard looks very nice and has a single hinge. I cannot find any Bushnell Excursion 8x28 here ? But they are phase coated and have a large focus wheel which must be nice on a small bino. Thanx Ana

My wife went through several pairs of 8x25 bins - none of which were ergonomically, physically or optically up to the mark. She now has 8x30 Monarch 7 which are far better on all counts - we'd have saved ourselves over £100 if we'd gone for the Monarchs first off (had they been available). So although I recognise that times are tough, my advice would be to raise the additional cash or wait until you can afford the more expensive optics. It'll be a saving in the long run.

The Eschenbach Sektor F 8x25 B WW compact has a FOV of 143m compared to 145m of the rather agressively priced NM7 8x30 and can be had for less than 2/3rds of the cost if you look hard although the maximum specified eye relief is only 9mm.

Eschenbach are rarely very mentioned on here and a bit like Opticron with the alphabetti spaghetti naming so it's worth checking the particular model number.

Last edited:
Trying to buy a pair of light compact binos, probably 8x25, for a hiking trip in very open country, looking for the widest view. Can anyone recommend a brand with a wide field ? My budget is under £150. Thanx. Ana
I have tried a lot of 8x25's because they are a nice size to carry. The only one I would own is the Swarovski 8x25 CLP and it is over your budget and I personally prefer the Swarovski 8x30 CL for my compact. I think at your price point and wanting a wide FOV you are really not going to be satisfied with the view. I tried the Nikon Monarch 7 8x30 and found it to have way too much glare but maybe they have corrected that. Anyway it did not have near the optical quality of the Swarovski 8x25 CLP. The trouble is with a 25mm aperture and an 8x magnification creating a 3mm exit pupil you need to have the highest quality optics and coatings to get it to perform satisfactorily for birding. Low price and 8x25 equals bad view. You can get some pretty satisfactory birding binoculars for your price if you move up to an 8x32 though that have been talked about on this forum. If you want light and small and a good view you have to pay the price.

Last edited:
thankx for all your suggestions. I'm really looking for something light to carry and inexpensive. don't recall saying times were tough but we're taking us and two kids to Namibia so i guess it's tough ... don't need to spend a fortune on these so sticking to budget, i like the Vanguards and would go for the Eschenbach if they had any useable eye relief or looksharps choice of the bushnell Excursion 8x28 if i could find some ? perhaps i'll look at the secondhand market maybe a leica ? thanx again, Ana

thankx for all your suggestions. I'm really looking for something light to carry and inexpensive. don't recall saying times were tough but we're taking us and two kids to Namibia so i guess it's tough ... don't need to spend a fortune on these so sticking to budget, i like the Vanguards and would go for the Eschenbach if they had any useable eye relief or looksharps choice of the bushnell Excursion 8x28 if i could find some ? perhaps i'll look at the secondhand market maybe a leica ? thanx again, Ana
These are on Astromart at a good price. 320 FOV but they are pretty quality and a good warranty. 8x28 Vortex Vipers with ED glass. $320 retail for $185. 5 star review @ Eagle Optics.

http://www.astromart.com/classifieds/details.asp?classified_id=869802

http://www.eagleoptics.com/binoculars/vortex/vortex-viper-8x28-binocular

Last edited:

Is this going to be the only binocular you are taking with you or is it something for the kids to use while you are using your personal binocular?

Bob

Last edited:
How about the Opticron Oregon 8x32s? They have a 8.1degree field of view, are under £100 and are about 500g. Very easy to use, not as small as a compact but light enough to carry around all day (they also come with a very nice strap).

Since nobody has mentioned these, I believe that I will. Kruger Backcountry 8x32 binoculars. These are as small as most 8x25 or 8x28 units but have the advantage of being 32s. I own several of these and am very impressed with them. They weigh 15oz. are phase coated and fully multi-coated and are well built with nice accessories. They have twist up eyecups that function quite well. The field of view is 341 ft@ 1000yds. and they are sharp and clear inside that view. These are also sold as Columbia, LL Bean and REI 8x32 binoculars. Small enough to fit in your pocket. Sportsmans Guide has them for 124.99 and there are several on the Bay at various prices used. Buy these babies and you will be glad that you did. Also the close focus is listed at 1.5 meter but all mine focus as close as 3feet.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back