• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Swarovision 8X32...SE death knell (1 Viewer)

Stephen,

If it makes any difference I wasn't targeting you or any one else.

The best way to start a spirited discussion here is to make an extravagant statement about a specific binocular. Extravagant statements will attract responses that go off on tangents or are off topic or are hyperbolic (to which I plead guilty here).

I hope that clears the air somewhat.

Darn, I really liked that comment about ricochets too!;)

Bob

Bob,

Sorry if I missed it, but if I was not the "target" ( not that I mind if I was- but then I may not have responded), and I was not the one making the extravagant statement, then why was my quote the one you quoted in your thread above?

And saying that IMO a particular binocular is the best out of such and such group; or that a particular binocular is the best you have ever used, does not seem all that extravagant to me.

Bob, I have never had an issue with you before, and I do not really have one now.

But first of all- I never said that the Swaro SV was "far superior to all others". I just did a review of my findings and stated in that thread and here that in my opinion the Swaro 8x32 SV was the best of the ones I tested it against and was the best that I had ever used.

Was not planning or trying to "set myself up as a target" either; but I can take the bullets. And I am not into class warfare or have any need to compare myself to others or feel that I need to do any chest bumping. The fact is that prior to buying these recent 8x32 binoculars to test and upgrade from what I currently had; the only alpha that I had was a 1999 7x30 Swaro SLC. And I had a very good ( excellent really ) 8x32 Pentax DCF ED. Ever since I did my review of the top Swaro 30 and 32 mm bino's last summer, I had thought about upgrading to a better quality than what I had. Last year I did not keep the Swaro EL that I tested, even though it was better than what I had, because I felt that what I had was good enough. But, then this spring and early summer, I thought long and hard about upgrading. But I am somewhat frugal and do not like to just throw my money around.

So- I made the decision to buy some to decide which ones I wanted to upgrade to. And even after testing and deciding which ones was best for me, I still had a tough time justifying spending the money. I still kept thinking that what I already had was good enough. But then the tipping point as far as following through with the upgrade was my Mothers passing this summer. I decided to buy the one I really like and keep them in honor of her. I do not really see myself needing, nor wanting to further upgrade and buy in the future- but time will tell. Even then, I will not sell these SV's since I really decided to get them in honor of my Mother.

As far as what you feel the "leisure class" pays for these newer binoculars- don't assume that everybody pays full retail for all of these. Just like I tell my kids- even if you want an expensive car ( not my thing) you can get one if you want to, just let someone else take the depreciation. I never like to pay full price for almost anything if I do not have to.

Like you, I like and appreciate a good bargain. And, let's just say that my net price that I paid for these Swaro 8x32 SV's after the discounted price I paid and the sale of some recent binocular purchases rivals your good deal that you were happy with for your EDG's. Another thing that is cool to me about the good deal that I got on these SV's is that my Mother always liked a good deal herself and she also liked quality, but was frugal with money. Which makes me further think of her when I use them.

So flame away and make me your target if you want to- I am a big boy, I can take it. But don't lumb me with these others you speak of and assume I am some "leisure class" snob who thinks what I have is better than anyone else's. Because you don't know me.

Cheers B :)

stephen:

No reason to get in a snit about your new binocular purchase. Good for
you on getting the new Swaro. I hope you enjoy it.

I am a bit surprised though after your review of some Swaro. 8x30's a while back, and now I see why you were a staunch defender, of your 7x30 SLC,
with its yellow tint, and dim view.
You were just a tester but not a real owner and user of the newer, better ones.

If you did not see a large difference after those tests, you now must have
seen the light. ;)

Jerry

Give it a rest, Bob. You own enough bins to fund a leisurely week or two at the Cape.
BTW...the 8X32 SV is better than I originally claimed. It will be a long time before anyone builds a comparable instrument. Yes, it's that perfect.
Dennis...sorry but it's much better than the SE.

The extravagant statement is above. See if you can spot it

Bob

Keep saying it Pile and I am afraid to say you are going to force Dennis to give up on the SE, buy an SV 8x32 and claim it is "way better" than the "dead" porro.

Anybody else feelin' it or is it just me?

This reminds me of the Swaro CL scenario.

stephen:

No reason to get in a snit about your new binocular purchase. Good for
you on getting the new Swaro. I hope you enjoy it.

I am a bit surprised though after your review of some Swaro. 8x30's a while back, and now I see why you were a staunch defender, of your 7x30 SLC,
with its yellow tint, and dim view.
You were just a tester but not a real owner and user of the newer, better ones.

If you did not see a large difference after those tests, you now must have
seen the light. ;)

Jerry

Jerry,

Do not believe that it was me that was the one having a "snit" about my purchase; but if you say you see it that way, so be it. And thanks for jumping in ons this.

As far as what I owned and what I was testing- I thought I was always clear on that. And although I did dabble with some higher end Swaro purchases and had a 8x32 Nikon SE a couple of times, I never ended up hanging on to any of them. Always ended up deciding that what I had was good enough.

That was- Until this summer- when as you say, I saw the light. Or that is when at least I caved in and decided to fully commit to what I really wanted.

BTW- as far as your comment about the 7x30 SLC's having a "yellow tint, and dim view"; well I beg to differ, and I believe you would to if you looked through them. They are nothing like the previous 7x30 SLC model. I bought the pair I own now (my 2nd go around with this particular model of 7x30 SLC) from a member here on BF- and I know if you asked him what he thought of them, I can pretty much guarantee that his opinion of them is quite different from yours. But, then again you have never looked through them.

Cheers,

Stephen

Stephan:

I had a pair of 1998 8x30 SLC's, those are the Mark II's, just like your 7x30. To me, comparing to the newer SLC 8x30's that followed, these older ones do not even compare. Yes, the yellow tint, and the dimmer view is very apparent.
I do recall that review with the SLC Neu, and the CL, they are in a different league.
I have and use them, and not for just a few days, for a forum review post.

I like nice optics, and I don't have any issue with what anyone has and likes in their
binocular choices. But, I do point out things as I see them.

Swarovski, has very nice optics, so enjoy.

Jerry

Bob,

Sorry if I missed it, but if I was not the "target" ( not that I mind if I was- but then I may not have responded), and I was not the one making the extravagant statement, then why was my quote the one you quoted in your thread above?

And saying that IMO a particular binocular is the best out of such and such group; or that a particular binocular is the best you have ever used, does not seem all that extravagant to me.

Because you said it so well! You described all the responses to the statements in question, To Wit: "Swarovison 8 x 32....SE death knell" and "The 8 x 32 Swarovision is the finest 8 x 32 available."

With a lead in like that and a concluding statement making that assertion responses of that nature were inevitable!

Bob

Last edited:
Give it a rest, Bob. You own enough bins to fund a leisurely week or two at the Cape.
BTW...the 8X32 SV is better than I originally claimed. It will be a long time before anyone builds a comparable instrument. Yes, it's that perfect.

There ya go again!

Bob

Keep saying it Pile and I am afraid to say you are going to force Dennis to give up on the SE, buy an SV 8x32 and claim it is "way better" than the "dead" porro.

Anybody else feelin' it or is it just me?

This reminds me of the Swaro CL scenario.

Here it comes again!

Bob

Funny, have been spending more time lately as the weather has cooled looking at the return of the mockingbirds and wrens to our neighborhood. I have gotten used to holding the 10x32 Swarovisions very still, even better after 3 beers just after lunch. My goodness these glasses are like, well, live HD recordings. There are times when I wish I would have bought the 8x32's, but when those times come I grab the 8x30 SLC's that Swarovski kindly rebuilt to 'neu' specs for no charge after only 20 years of use.

Sorry Dennis, I just returned the SE's to Amazon as after a few weeks of use - I decided they were no better than the SLC's all things considered. Really. Not to mention the 10x32 Swaro's that give a little more reach and are still surprisingly bright when it starts to get dark. Next time you are in Las Vegas, give a call and we'll have a nice comparison in the yard. No DVD's will be necessary.

John F

Jerry-(NDhunter)

I tried to send you a PM, but this came up:

"NDhunter has exceeded their stored private messages quota and can not accept further messages until they clear some space."

"Dennis...sorry but it's much better than the SE."

BS.

Funny, have been spending more time lately as the weather has cooled looking at the return of the mockingbirds and wrens to our neighborhood. I have gotten used to holding the 10x32 Swarovisions very still, even better after 3 beers just after lunch. My goodness these glasses are like, well, live HD recordings. There are times when I wish I would have bought the 8x32's, but when those times come I grab the 8x30 SLC's that Swarovski kindly rebuilt to 'neu' specs for no charge after only 20 years of use.

Sorry Dennis, I just returned the SE's to Amazon as after a few weeks of use - I decided they were no better than the SLC's all things considered. Really. Not to mention the 10x32 Swaro's that give a little more reach and are still surprisingly bright when it starts to get dark. Next time you are in Las Vegas, give a call and we'll have a nice comparison in the yard. No DVD's will be necessary.

John F
"Sorry Dennis, I just returned the SE's to Amazon as after a few weeks of use - I decided they were no better than the SLC's all things considered"

You will be sorry! You are blind.

"Dennis...sorry but it's much better than the SE."

BS.
The little SV...

Much less CA
Greater eye relief
Nice eyecups
Wider FOV
Great focus
Simple diopter
Watertight
Lightweight
Pin sharp
"Easy on the Eyes"...unlike the finnicky SE
True life color
It sheds water like a charm
Easiest to clean bins I've owned (SV's that is)

The little SV...

Much less CA
Greater eye relief
Nice eyecups
Wider FOV
Great focus
Simple diopter
Watertight
Lightweight
Pin sharp
True life color

Plus..... some other things that are better:

focus works in all weather conditions and temps
focus impervious to H2O and dust
3 ft. closer close focus
multiple position adjustable eyecups
FOV sharp to edge-
weighs less
overall better ergonomics

As to trading in your SLC on an SV EL, that ain't going to happen, because the SLC was a Christmas present from your wife, and that assures that it will be with you until death do you part.

<B>

Brock there is always a trade in upgrade Christmas present from my wife.;)

You just made every married man reading this thread envious!

I wish there had been a trade in upgrade Christmas present for my wife. ;) "Take my wife, please."

Well, if that's the case, I hope her shop is doing well, because even as generous as the Troyers are with Swaro trade-ins, she'll have to reach a LOT deeper in her pocket book this time to make up the cash difference with a trade-in on a $2,100 SV EL. She might have to ask your daughters to go on in the present.

I figure the best they can probably offer you for a 2009 SLC is about $650, which is about what the ALT version is going for on the bay.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Swarovski-Habicht-8x30-W-Binoculars-Green-/180958688424?pt=Binocular&hash=item2a21fa74a8

The store can probably mark up that price $200 since this model is no longer available but was very popular with hunters, and with the mark up, that's close to what the SLCneu was selling for when you bought it ($899).

That leaves your wife with a cash balance of $1,450, which is $1,000 more than the cash she paid for the trade in on your 7x30 SLC.

I think Jerry's suggestion is a good one, you'd better start buttering her up with more than baubles if you expect to see an 8x32 SV EL under the Christmas tree.

But I don't think you'll ask her for an upgrade, because unlike the SLC, the SV EL doesn't have an objective side focuser, so your head is going to get mighty cold when you push up your hat in the winter to get at the EL's focuser! :-O

<B>

Last edited:
The 4mm exit pupil is a non-issue. In fact, the 8X32 SV is as easy to use as my 7X42. There is absolutely no difficulty in immediately finding proper eye position. A 7X35 would be a total waste of 1X magnification and it wouldn't find a market!

Yes, Swarovski somehow managed to get a 4mm exit pupil to behave like something bigger. 7x42 big? I can't say since I've never used that format. But the 8x32 SV truly behaves more like an 8x42. I don't know how they did that, but I like it! Just as with the 8.5 SV, you can slap the 8x32 to your face and the view is right there. Nice.

The bigger 8.5 does pull out a bit more detail, but mainly because of magnification near as I can tell.

Ah well, back to work. You know how it is with the "leisured class"--all those siorees and trips to Monaco in the private jet. ;)

Mark

" I don't know how they did that, but I like it! Just as with the 8.5 SV, you can slap the 8x32 to your face and the view is right there. Nice."

This is what I liked about the 8.5 SV I tried, I don't use glasses when using binocular/scopes and I didn't have to tilt etc. the binocular, just use it.

The little SV...

Much less CA
Greater eye relief
Nice eyecups
Wider FOV
Great focus
Simple diopter
Watertight
Lightweight
Pin sharp
True life color
You forgot....

Not as sharp as the SE
No 3D image like the SE
Depth of field not as good as the SE
Can's see as much detail on the bird as the SE
Not as good optically as the SE
Waterproof but I don't use them in the rain anyway
Focus not as smooth as the SE
Some people like the ergos of the SE better
Cost 4X as much as the SE
Known to get fungus inside the objectives
Focus is harder to turn one way
Strap is too long hit's me in the jewels and makes me yodel
Comes with goofy overly big case
Not as good optically as the SE
Not as sharp as the SE
Doesn't give me as good of view of the bird
Not as sharp as the SE
No 3D view like the SE
Depth of field not as good as the SE

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back