• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Baltimore Oriole question (1 Viewer)

Lady19thC

I was just wondering if any has any luck with Baltimore Orioles coming to oranges? Two years ago I had two feeders with orange halves and we had both a male and eventually a female that came to it, daily, many times throughout the day, for 6 weeks. They went through 6 halves, and it was great. They were not nesting in our yard, nor any neighbours, so they had quite a trip to make to it, yet kept coming. Last year, though we had some orioles in our yard, they have not come to the oranges. The same for this year. It is very visible, and we offer fresh oranges, plus grape jelly, but not a single taker, this year. Even though one male oriole was just a few yards away, he didn't even seem interested. Anyone else have much luck with them? I was so hoping they would come up, again, like 2 years ago, so I could get some pics.

I've heard of people having success with oranges and grape jelly but I've only had red-bellied woodpeckers eat my oranges. Baltimore orioles have eaten crabapple flowers off my crabapple tree.

Perhaps your orioles are simply more interested in insects and other protein-based food this time of year (breeding season). If they've hatched chicks, that's what they'll be looking for to feed them. I'd just be patient. I'm sure once the chicks have fledged, Mom and Dad may even show them where your oranges are. Our Bullock's Orioles certainly have each year. :t:

The Baltimore Oriole that wintered in Oxford, England, in 2003/4 definitely came to oranges. They were probably what helped the bird survive our British weather (though it did eventually succomb).

Being a Brit I don't know the species all that well. Are oranges their food of choice all year round, or is it just something they turn to when their preferred diet is scarce?

I think they are primarily an insect eating bird with fruit for fun, but when they migrate they look for sugar water, oranges and grape jelly to fill up their bellies and give them energy while looking for a nesting site. After a few weeks they begin to turn back to "bugging" so the babies will have the protein needed to develop healthy feathers, etc. In the fall they sometimes come to the suet before heading back south, but some leave quite early-in August, and as there is plenty of natural food for them, they rarely come to feeders. I guess a lot has to do with time/insect availability and winds. The winds decide where they will migrate. Today we had super strong North Winds, thus no sightings, whatsover, of orioles. And we have had a cool, rainy and windy May, so far, in New England, which isn't helping with a large oriole population. Fiddlesticks!

Lady19thC said:
I was just wondering if any has any luck with Baltimore Orioles coming to oranges?

Not a lot of experience here (about 11 hours total). I saw an oriole yesterday, put out two orange halves this morning and one is almost gone this evening. I watched the oriole eating so I know it was him. As I've never tried this before, I was quite impressed.

On another note, I want to thank you for your advice some weeks ago about switching from sunflower to safflower for the summer. The grackles have not been impressed by the change and seldom show up, but the housefinches, chickadees, mourning doves, cardinal, rose-breasted grosbeak, w-b nuthatch and, to a lesser extent, the purple finches were quite happy after an initial adjustment.

Cheers,
Scott

Congrats on your success with the orioles and the safflower! Yes, there certainly is a big difference in birding when grackles are not present! I simply cannot feed sunflower during this time period, until late September, when the grackles have flocked and left the area. Next spring you can also try mixing sunflower and safflower together, in a tube or platform feeder, before going all over to safflower, so as to get your birds used to it. I do this by buying what is called "Cardinal mix" which usually contains an even amount of both. It may be less expensive to do it yourself. Continued good luck on your feeding! Keep those oranges replenished-I hope they stay a long time. You might see if you can offer them some grape jelly, too. Some say after they give up on the oranges, they may eat the jelly even longer! But it must be jelly, not preserves-no pieces of fruit can be in it. They just want the mushy part, with no seeds! :eat:

I am happy to say that this week I've had at least 2 pair of Baltimore Orioles that have been eating oranges and grape jelly, as well as sugar water in a hummingbird feeder with perches. Last year a part of an orange was eaten once and that was it. I'm using a flat plastic flower pot bottom suspended from a shepherd's hook to place the fruit on...I quarter the oranges and put grape jelly in cupcake paper liners. So far they've been quite happy! I also have a plastic feeder that I pierce half an orange on which has 2 perches, but they seem to prefer the flat tray.

I ended up taking down one of my orange feeders, until I see some action. Instead I put up my hummingbird feeder because my first Ruby-throat of the year arrived this morning! I am very excited! Now, if I could only get an oriole to my oranges, I would be pretty happy!

Attachments

• P5250711RubyHummer1Co.jpg
    P5250711RubyHummer1Co.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 142
  • P5310756RubyHummer.jpg
    P5310756RubyHummer.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 147
Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back