• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

remote cable (1 Viewer)

foxydave

hi just read a book by arthur morris the art of bird photography in it he says never use a remote with a large lense which has confused me a little being new this

hi just read a book by arthur morris the art of bird photography in it he says never use a remote with a large lense which has confused me a little being new this
I would have though it should read Always use a remote with a large lens but like Mike says, who I am to augue with Arthur Morris.

I would have though it should read Always use a remote with a large lens but like Mike says, who I am to argue with Arthur Morris.

I'd disagree, I very rarely use a remote release and am normally using a 500mm lens with a 1.4x tc. When shooting bird you often have to move the camera while taking shots, by the time my hand is on the set up to get the composition right I may was well press the button.

I use a remote all the time with a large lens on a tripod. The remote is attached to the tripod handle with a rubber band allowing me to pan and tilt and operate it with my thumb whilst keeping the other hand on the focus ring.

I use the panning handle to compose the shot with my left hand whilst operating the remote with my right.I also tighten up the head so it can just about move but stay still when I let go of the panning handle to take the shot.This way I have no physical contact with the camera at the time of exposure and have taken sharp shots down to 1/20th second without an IS lens,providing the subject doesnt move of course.

Do you mean he does not use a 'cable release'? A 'remote release' is a different thing entirely and almost pointless except with wide angle lenses. If you mean a cable release (which I think you do) then of course he uses a cable release. He just does not advocate that they be used on windy days and I agree entirely. On a windy day it is better to firm your cheek upto the camera to reduce the shake caused by the wind. I also stack my tripod with weights and add weight onto the lens and camera (very carefully) A cable release will simply record a blurry shot on a windy day.

I never use a remote with my D2x and D3 ( I would if I did macro work ). I like the flexibility of moving with the birds and the weight of the big lenses plus my head pressed against the viewfinder and hand resting on the lens gives me all the stability that is needed. Neil.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back