• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Time for a new lens - EF500 IS or the 600 monster (1 Viewer)

My experience is with the Canon 500 F4.5 (non-IS) and 600 F4 IS. The 500 4.5 is very light, weighing in at 3 kg. It can be handheld (for short periods). The Northern Pintail shot in my album was shot hand held with the 500. I can carry the 500 mounted on Gitzo legs legs with a Whimberly head and a shoulder pad for a fair distance. I cannot carry the 600 for more then 50 m (I am envious of Nigel). I imagine the 500 F4 IS, weighing in at 3.8 kg, is similar to the 500 F4.5.

Another issue I have encountered with the 600 is the length. I frequently use from my truck. The added length is very noticeable when you are moving around in a vehicle. I have to be very carefull not to bang it on anything. I can move around freely with the 500.

In my opinion, the most important thing to consider is to make sure you budget for proper support. Whether you choose the 500 or 600, a gimbal head makes all the difference.

Well my new toy arrived today... typically I couldn't get out birding with it but took a few shots in a friends garden. So far I'm really impressed with it, just cannot wait to get out for a proper birding trip with it.

Attachments

• coaltit_280807_0003.jpg
    coaltit_280807_0003.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 72
  • collareddove_280807_0003.jpg
    collareddove_280807_0003.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 69
  • housesparrow_280807_0003.jpg
    housesparrow_280807_0003.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 75
Well my new toy arrived today... typically I couldn't get out birding with it but took a few shots in a friends garden. So far I'm really impressed with it, just cannot wait to get out for a proper birding trip with it.

So you finally got it! Very very good, enjoy your new toy o:D .. I'll keep my finger crossed wishing you a finer weather :t: ... keep us informed!
Cheers,
Max

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back