• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Worlds best roof prism versus the world's best porro prism binocular! (1 Viewer)

Do they honor the warnenty with a referb?

I believe a refurb comes with a 90 day No Fault Warranty where as a new model comes with a 25 year No Fault Warranty. After those time limits, both are then covered under the life time warranty where you pay a $10 charge per service. This is for the US sold Nikons and you do not have to be the original owner.

I am not positive on the above, so please check with Nikon USA first.

I believe a refurb comes with a 90 day No Fault Warranty where as a new model comes with a 25 year No Fault Warranty. After those time limits, both are then covered under the life time warranty where you pay a $10 charge per service. This is for the US sold Nikons and you do not have to be the original owner.

I am not positive on the above, so please check with Nikon USA first.

That would be nice. Thanks

In going from SE to SV in both the 10x42 and 8x32 configuration I noticed the same:

More expansive
Cleaner
Brighter
Just as sharp if not sharper because of great micro-contrast
Detail is more easily seen because of larger image scale
Easier eye placement
My eyes relaxed

In addition the 10x42 SV cut through a misty day much more easily than the 10x42 SE, admittedly a 006. The 8x32 SE was a brand new 550.

The above didn't take long to see, it was immediately obvious.

The SE is a great bin and I love my 10x42, but I think the days are gone that top porros were by definition optically superior (whatever that is) to top roofs.

BTW I also compared the 8x32 SV to a Leica 8x32 BR and the difference is clearly there: more contrast, cleaner, more apparent sharpness, more colour neutral. I now see details on birds I never saw before and I have used Leica Ultravid BR, Trinovid and Zeiss 7x42 BGATP.

Just to put the optical superiority of the 8x32 SE into perspective. And believe me, I wanted to like the 8x32 SE more than the SV and save 1000 euros, but I couldn't justify the savings, so I sold off 2 bins to finance the SV :)

George

In going from SE to SV in both the 10x42 and 8x32 configuration I noticed the same:

More expansive
Cleaner
Brighter
Just as sharp if not sharper because of great micro-contrast
Detail is more easily seen because of larger image scale
Easier eye placement
My eyes relaxed

In addition the 10x42 SV cut through a misty day much more easily than the 10x42 SE, admittedly a 006. The 8x32 SE was a brand new 550.

The above didn't take long to see, it was immediately obvious.

The SE is a great bin and I love my 10x42, but I think the days are gone that top porros were by definition optically superior (whatever that is) to top roofs.

BTW I also compared the 8x32 SV to a Leica 8x32 BR and the difference is clearly there: more contrast, cleaner, more apparent sharpness, more colour neutral. I now see details on birds I never saw before and I have used Leica Ultravid BR, Trinovid and Zeiss 7x42 BGATP.

Just to put the optical superiority of the 8x32 SE into perspective. And believe me, I wanted to like the 8x32 SE more than the SV and save 1000 euros, but I couldn't justify the savings, so I sold off 2 bins to finance the SV :)

George
Try the 20 foot test and you will the SE is sharper. I am surprised you find the SV brighter. Maybe easier eye placement because of the greater ER of the SV. I feel a really fine porrro will always have an optical advantage over a roof because of the simplicity of design. They are always going to show more fine color detail. As far as the SV being cleaner I see just the opposite with the SE. The SE presents an incredibly clean sharp image not as muddled as the roof. I feel the EDG is better than the SV also so that is not the difference. I have had them both.

But you can't let it rest there, Dennis, because IMO the 10x42SE is even better than the 8x32SE, and you haven't lived until you've tried the 12x50SE...now THAT's a binocular!

But you can't let it rest there, Dennis, because IMO the 10x42SE is even better than the 8x32SE, and you haven't lived until you've tried the 12x50SE...now THAT's a binocular!
I had the 10x42 SE and I prefer the 8x32 SE. I bet the 12x50 SE is something. I might buy one sometime. 50mm porro! YEAH!

"In going from SE to SV in both the 10x42 and 8x32 configuration I noticed the same"

1)More expansive
A roof does present a different kind of view that may appear more expansive but in reality it is not. The porro shows just as big of a view if the FOV is similar but it is different and the porro has the advantage of the 3D image and greater DOF so you are viewing and taking in way more information at on time. Better for finding birds in trees at different distances.

2)Cleaner
The roof view APPEARS ckeaner because it is not picking up the little differences in shading and coloration that the porro is detecting. The porro view appears more cluttered because it is picking up MORE detail.

3)Brighter
I am REALLY surpised you said this. The porro really has the advantage here especially at dusk. Try the SV and the SE at dusk or dawn and you will see this difference. I know birders who use a porro JUST because of the ability to see birds better in low light conditions. You will see with the porro you can make out outlines of images in dim light that you can't with the roof.

4)Just as sharp if not sharper because of great micro-contrast
Because of the simple design of the porro it is easier to make them optically perfect and they will always have an optical advantage especially in the sharpness and resolution area. Try the 20 foot test with the SV and SE. You WILL read fine print easier with the SE

5)Detail is more easily seen because of larger image scale
Your image scale is bigger with the roof but in reality you are not seeing the detail the porro is picking up. Look at a bird that has a lot of fine differences on their feathers especially colors and you will many more variations with the porro. The porro is picking up and differentiating these fine gradations better than the roof. The porro will help you ID a bird.

6)Easier eye placement
This is probably because the SE has a little less ER than you SV. You have more adjustment of ER to get the ER perfect with the roof. If the SE ER works for your eyes it is just as good but if you need a little more ER than the SE offers you are probably right here.

7)My eyes relaxed
This could be that the roof is bringing in less detail and appears more relaxing to your eyes. The porro image may appear busier because it is picking up more small details making it harder on your eyes to take all that information in at one time. To get the razor sharpness out of the SE the way Nikon did I think it was designed optically at the edge meaning everything is optimized to get the very best view even if it appears a little less relaxed than your SV's.

Last edited:
Someone do the official SV SE test. I've seen several el SE tests and either they are deemed the same or the SE is a bit sharper (jump in Stereotruckdriver).

The fact that the SE would even be compared to the SV is something to be said- $600 vs $2400. Four times the price difference (8.5). Impressive.

Someone do the official SV SE test. I've seen several el SE tests and either they are deemed the same or the SE is a bit sharper (jump in Stereotruckdriver).

The fact that the SE would even be compared to the SV is something to be said- $600 vs $2400. Four times the price difference (8.5). Impressive.

I haven't been able to find another 8x32 sv locally to compare! :-( On the context of wich is sharper the el or se it's close but the se gets the nod! Not that the el isn't sharp mind you!!! :) I will always have the se and my wife will vouch for it being a joy to use! But, for me as a whole the el is the better all around instrument! Visually, ergonomically, asthetically the el 32 does it for me!!! Really though not a fair comparison is my 7x42 against the se! Just even making that statement says alot about the apparent sharpness of the se! A 32mm vs a 42mm!!! What little i did see of the 32 sv impressed the he-- out of me! Take what little short comings the el wb's have away and bingo sv's!!! Is it enough for me to make the jump??? The jury is still out on that one??? Still that the se is even discussed with these uber expensive roof's is a testament to the design of the se's!!! EXCELLENT, A GEM!!! Bryce...

The SE will be brighter in alot of situations than even the 42mm roof. It's a testament to it's performance. Obviously you can make an excellent porro alot cheaper than an excellent roof. No ED glass, no phase coatings, simple prism design, simple versus complex light path, the roof simply has to be way more precise to be good. Put an excellent eyepiece on it like the SE has and you have a "Roof Killer".

I haven't been able to find another 8x32 sv locally to compare! :-( On the context of wich is sharper the el or se it's close but the se gets the nod! Not that the el isn't sharp mind you!!! :) I will always have the se and my wife will vouch for it being a joy to use! But, for me as a whole the el is the better all around instrument! Visually, ergonomically, asthetically the el 32 does it for me!!! Really though not a fair comparison is my 7x42 against the se! Just even making that statement says alot about the apparent sharpness of the se! A 32mm vs a 42mm!!! What little i did see of the 32 sv impressed the he-- out of me! Take what little short comings the el wb's have away and bingo sv's!!! Is it enough for me to make the jump??? The jury is still out on that one??? Still that the se is even discussed with these uber expensive roof's is a testament to the design of the se's!!! EXCELLENT, A GEM!!! Bryce...

The SE must be some piece of glass. The wb el is very nice.

You have the 7x42 slc like ceaser? I bet that is nice too.

Last edited:
The SE will be brighter in alot of situations than even the 42mm roof. It's a testament to it's performance. Obviously you can make an excellent porro alot cheaper than an excellent roof. No ED glass, no phase coatings, simple prism design, simple versus complex light path, the roof simply has to be way more precise to be good. Put an excellent eyepiece on it like the SE has and you have a "Roof Killer".

Waterproof it like the action extreme and put in the action extreme eye cups. I think they would sell even more. When did the SE first come out? The habicht is basically 1940's right?

denco@comcast. said:
You obviously have never had an SV or EDG. 99% of the people that have an SE or EII have them because they can't afford a $2K alpha. I understand you are getting the best optical bang for the buck. The alpha's are slightly better optics than the best porro and they are a much better all around binocular.

3:)

Last edited:
The SE must be some piece of glass. The wb el is very nice.

You have the 7x42 slc like ceaser? I bet that is nice too.

Newfie, the 7x42 slc is my favorite! It is a neu model but didn't have the easy clean lenses, i sent them in to upgrade to newer lenses!!! I will say the coating difference is astounding for the 2012 year!!! They were good before the upgrade and now they are supreme, if i didn't know any better i would have thought they put slc hd lenses in!!! Seriously, the colors, contrast all improved!!! They are sharp as a tack and oh yeh the focus is perfect in both directions unlike when i bought them! They are hefty by most peoples standards, not mine they are really well balanced with big thumb indents and feel really good in the hands! Generous fov that lacks any real distortions 420 ft. And yes the el 32 is nice it's my go to binocular!!! And yes the se is some piece of glass, visually astounding but outdated!!! For any connisour a must have glass and although outdated as far as todays standards go it was definetly ahead of it's time! It will put alot of glass to shame even 42mm counter parts!!! Bryce...

Newfie, the 7x42 slc is my favorite! It is a neu model but didn't have the easy clean lenses, i sent them in to upgrade to newer lenses!!! I will say the coating difference is astounding for the 2012 year!!! They were good before the upgrade and now they are supreme, if i didn't know any better i would have thought they put slc hd lenses in!!! Seriously, the colors, contrast all improved!!! They are sharp as a tack and oh yeh the focus is perfect in both directions unlike when i bought them! They are hefty by most peoples standards, not mine they are really well balanced with big thumb indents and feel really good in the hands! Generous fov that lacks any real distortions 420 ft. And yes the el 32 is nice it's my go to binocular!!! And yes the se is some piece of glass, visually astounding but outdated!!! For any connisour a must have glass and although outdated as far as todays standards go it was definetly ahead of it's time! It will put alot of glass to shame even 42mm counter parts!!! Bryce...

Bryce:

I agree with your summation of a very modern 7x42. There are not even
a handful of models now available in this high end class. Swaro. dropped out you only have Leica, Zeiss and the Nikon EDG.

Enjoy your SLC.

Jerry

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back