• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What binocular provides your current favourite view? (1 Viewer)

I'm still happy with the NL 12x42 as my 'one and done' choice. I bought it last November, so I'm looking forward to my first summer with them!

In the future, I might try a 32mm option for more casual viewing / travel, but they're just so expensive, I'll have to wait.
Can you hold the NL 12x42 steady, or do you use a tripod? I am curious how birders us a 12x without IS when I have a hard time holding 10x steady.

I handhold the 12x and save the tripod for my 27-60x scope. There is a little wobble, inevitably, but the ergonomics of the NLs are very good, and they're probably the most practicable 12x binos currently available, from what I have seen, at least. The wide AFOV increases the feeling of stability, and some people even say they are as steady as an 8x. I wouldn't go that far, but they are certainly usable without a tripod.

They also come with the infamous headrest, which I've not bought yet. It hasn't really felt necessary, and its an expensive accessory that should have come with the binos themselves.

It's been a while since I used my brother's 10x56 SLC, but in terms of image quality it is spectacular - very bright, very sharp, large sweet spot and very good viewing comfort because of the large exit pupil. Truly an outstanding image. I've not tried a 10x56 FL, but no doubt that configuration has great qualities. Just a shame it happens too often in my viewing that I need to point the binoculars upwards, sometimes directly up, for fairly significant stretches. I found the 8x56 SLC had an even more pleasing image but much prefer 10x for my typical observing distances.

The Nikon 10x50 WX was also incredible but is not, for me anyway, a hand-held binocular. Absolutely stunning on a tripod though. Tremendous field of view, outstandingly well corrected, that is practically all sweet spot.

All that said, the binoculars I actually use the most are chosen for size/weight/practicality as much as, or even more than, for sheer image quality.

I've adapted best to my 10x42 Noctivids for all round birding only bins. An ideal match for my eyeglasses in terms of eye relief and a perceived 'wide', immersive AFOV. I keep the eyecups screwed all the way down. I'm comfortable with 10x, and my interest in greater magnification is simply aesthetic. Its a lovely view, and I have no complaints. When I'm out painting, I carry a smaller pair, either 8x25 Zeiss pocket, which do the trick, or a pair of 8x30 Swaros, or Nikon MHG. The Nikons were misplaced for several months, so it was the Swaros until recently. The Nikons are a slightly better fit for me, though.

If I'm carrying a scope, I opt for 8x42 or 8x32, for a steady view with one hand, and sometimes I'll take an 8x32 with me when I'm out painting, if I think its a birdy spot. When hauling a backpack of art supplies, a 42 mm bin is less desirable due to size and weight, and I find myself choosing the 8x32 EL instead of an NL, for those reasons.

So I have an 8x42 Zeiss SF which is relegated to bird feeder duty most often, and the NL 8x32 usually sitting in their case. Both excellent bins, but currently not in rotation very often for reasons mentioned above. When I do use them, I'm always happy to partake of their wide and sharp views. Ironically, If I could only have one bin, it might be the Zeiss SF 8x42, but since I've got a buffet of use-specific choices, it doesn't get used as much as it would otherwise.

Conclusions: I agree it is all subjective. All the bins I mentioned give me a full view to the field stop with my glasses on. My preference. There are many otherwise excellent bins in the world that won't do that for me. I find I do prefer 32 and 42 over smaller sizes for viewing comfort, but will opt for smaller when circumstances dictate. Better with than without.

-Bill

Hello,

I am still favouring my Zeiss 8x32FL, after eighteen years, as my most used glass when I carry only one binocular. It is just a very nice combination of size, good eye relief, field of view, contrast and resolution. It may be time for an update.

Stay safe,
Arthur
Hello,
The time has come for a replacement: a Zeiss 8x32 SF. At my age, this binocular will probably my last binocular.

Stay safe,
Arthur

I hope it provides you many years of enjoyment. That's an excellent binocular.

-Bill
Hello Bill,

Thank you! I took it out for a spin yesterday and today, when it lived up to expectations. The advance in Field of View, brightness and resolution, both general and edge, are noticeable but not tremendous. Marginal improvements come at great cost. The downside was increased size and weight, minimized by excellent ergonomics.

It has a slightly greater FOV than my old 8x32 Porro Binoculars, which did not have much eye relief. Zeiss claims a 67º AFOV. The true field of view is 115 meters at a 1000m, 8.81º, but it still provides 19mm of eye relief, which suggests a sophisticated optical design. All in all, quite an impressive package.

I had trouble finding a vendor in NY City. I must have purchased one shop's almost last one, as that shop now posts it as out of stock! With the dollar down against the Euro, I wonder if a price increase is in the offing.

Stay safe,
Arthur

Last edited:
Arthur;

I hope you enjoy yours as much as I have enjoyed mine, which I got in December 2020.

I think the color contrast was the thing which Impressed me the most. The colors and shadings were rendered much more clearly, and faithfully, than in my six or seven year old 10X42 El SV.

I guess It is a combination of glass and coatings. I can’t imagine anything else it could be.

Richard

I don't currently own any alphas. The best view I get is from my Forge 10x42. But I don't hike or bird with them due to weight and bulk. So current favorites are the Fuji KF 10x32 or Opticron Explorer 8x32.

Leica Retrovid 7x35.

I have barely used anything else since being given it. Except once or twice using the Ultravid 7x42 when I knew I would be out in heavy persistent rain.

They are both my nominations here with the Retrovid being the one I would keep if I had to give one up.

But also a tip of the hat to Nikon SE 8x32.

Leica Retrovid 7x35.

I have barely used anything else since being given it. Except once or twice using the Ultravid 7x42 when I knew I would be out in heavy persistent rain.

They are both my nominations here with the Retrovid being the one I would keep if I had to give one up.

But also a tip of the hat to Nikon SE 8x32.
Boogieshrew, what do you like better about the Retrovid? I have got the Ultravid and I have been wondering how the Retrovid would compare to them.

I think I like the view through the Ultravid 8x20 best. Mainly because of the colours but they also seem to have a better depth than other 8x binoculars. The view rarely seems to want any adjustments, it's just there in an instant and I love it. The FOV is certainly a bit on the narrow side but it never bothered me.

I wish there was a full size version of this view. I have tested out a few larger sized Leicas but never found one that has the same view in a more ergonomic housing.

Boogieshrew, what do you like better about the Retrovid? I have got the Ultravid and I have been wondering how the Retrovid would compare to them.

I think I like the view through the Ultravid 8x20 best. Mainly because of the colours but they also seem to have a better depth than other 8x binoculars. The view rarely seems to want any adjustments, it's just there in an instant and I love it. The FOV is certainly a bit on the narrow side but it never bothered me.

I wish there was a full size version of this view. I have tested out a few larger sized Leicas but never found one that has the same view in a more ergonomic housing.
Hi,
I prefer the retrovid for its lighter weight mainly. I have shoulder problems - age related wear n tear.
But optically there is little difference to my eye. The retrovids are cooler I would say (more blue? less red? less contrast?) But they don't give up anything in terms of 'sharpness' or clarity. And actually they have plenty of contrast when I look at road signs that are white, black and red.
It's so close that I'm inclined to say that they are just different optically, not that one is preferable to the other.

Oh the agony of choice...

When all is said and done, the Leica Ultravid HD Plus 8x32 provides me with "the most rounded" glassing experience.

the Leica Ultravid HD Plus 8x32
If I do get a smaller bino, I would certainly consider this one. Some research would be needed to compare it with a NL32 and Zeiss VP. They’re different sizes, of course, but it would mainly be about which one is the best complement to what I get from the NL42. Not sure how I’d feel about it!

...it would mainly be about which one is the best complement to what I get from the NL42.
The agony of choice vs the freedom of choice... The choice is yours, and yours alone :D

If I had the NL42, I would complement it with a dash of color called NL8x32. I have had one for a few weeks now, and am absolutely smitten with it; in every way imaginable.

The Leica Ultravid HD Plus 8x32 is my workhorse, it does not get babied. A masterpiece of optical engineering.

IMG_6594l.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back