• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What binocular provides your current favourite view? (2 Viewers)

So, to kick off my favourite view is given by the Zeiss 10x56 FL. It’s relatively new to me, bought for stargazing, but is something of a revelation in daytime as well and better for birdwatching than I thought. The view’s really clear and is the most immersive I’ve seen. It’s also the steadiest 10x I’ve used, no doubt due to its heft. A bonus is a natural 3D quality missing from many roof prism bins.
For years I’m fascinated by the Zeiss FL series, i got myself a beautiful FL 7x42 a few months ago. But this big x56 models are like a magnet for me. They really look like serious glass.

I don’t have a favorite binocular, at least not for long….it can change a few times per day. This morning i started with a coffee and the Zeiss 7x42, then went walking with my Leica BN 7x42. When i came home i saw a strange vessel on the river and used my Habicht 10x40. All very good glass!

Hello,

I am still favouring my Zeiss 8x32FL, after eighteen years, as my most used glass when I carry only one binocular. It is just a very nice combination of size, good eye relief, field of view, contrast and resolution. It may be time for an update.

Stay safe,
Arthur
Exactly what Arthur said. Although I mostly use my Canon IS, and I love my Nikon SE 10x42, I find my Zeiss Victory TFL 8x32 give the most relaxed, 'easy' view in the stable. (And they're the Simon King special edition! Surely that adds cachet?😆)

Exactly what Arthur said. Although I mostly use my Canon IS, and I love my Nikon SE 10x42, I find my Zeiss Victory TFL 8x32 give the most relaxed, 'easy' view in the stable. (And they're the Simon King special edition! Surely that adds cachet?😆)
Simon King special edition? Pictures please 🙏🏼

Simon King special edition? Pictures please 🙏🏼

Limited édition 250 units worldwide

Opticron Aurora, 8x42.

The most wonderfully relaxed view with crystal clear pin sharp optics. All I could ever want or wish for

What binocular provides your current favourite view? ... 10x56 FL
Even focusing on "view" alone this is a hard choice, among SLC 10x56 and 10x42, FL and BN 10x32, and E II 8x30. Each has special qualities; like you I'm tempted to choose the 10x56, for pure ease and brightness among others, though I don't reach for it every day. I disliked FL 42s which I recall having some ugly aberrations around the field edge; is your 56 better?

What's your current favorite bird?

@[email protected]
I wouldn't have expected the Habicht 7x42 to be your favourite :unsure:
:giggle:
The first time I tried the Habicht 8x30 W it wowed me and every time I come back to a Habicht they wow me even after using the best alpha roofs for a while. The Habichts are just so bright and sharp on-axis that the view is different from anything else out there. I like the Canon IS for daytime birding because I see more detail, but when I feel like something different or the light gets low, I grab the Habicht 7x42. When you are over 60 I don't think you can beat it for low light. The Habicht 7x42 handles glare better than almost any of the alpha roofs, and the stereoscopic 3D view can not be matched by a roof. I think it is the brightness that makes me continually like the Habichts. They are brighter in the daytime than any binocular I have seen, even an 8x56 FL or 8x56 SLC.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone for sharing your current favourite binocular view. I’ve really enjoyed reading your choices and what it is about the view that is so appealing. What a great selection of binoculars. For convenience, here's a summary in no particular order:

Zeiss 10 x 56 FL
Zeiss 10 x 42 FL
Zeiss 8 x 32 FL
Zeiss 7 x 42 FL
Zeiss 8 x 32 SF
Zeiss 8 x 25 VP
Zeiss SFL 8 x 30
Zeiss SFL 8 x 40
Zeiss Conquest HD 10 x 56
Canon 10 x 30 IS II
Habicht 7 x 42
Habicht 8 x 30
Habicht 10 x 40 in
Swarovski 7 x 42 SLC
Swarovski 10 x 56 SLC
Swarovski 10 x 42 SLC
Swarovski 12 x 42 NL
Swarovski 10 x 32 NL
Swarovski Curio 7x21
Swarovski 8.5 x 42 EL SV FP
Kowa 6.5 x 32
Nikon 8 x 30 E2
Nikon SE 10 x 42
Nikon EDG II 7 x 42
Leica 7 x 42 HD/plus
Leica Noctivid 8 x 42
Leica 8 x 32 Ultravid +
Leica Trinovid HD 8 x 32
Leica BN 7 x 42
Leica BN 10 x 32
Fuji HC 8 x 42
Bushnell FPO 7 x 35 Rangemaster
Opticron Aurora 8 x 42

So, what to make of it? Firstly it's great people are finding that magic satisfying view in such different binoculars. I think it suggests that possibly any quality binocular working optimally and set up well can produce stunning views. But not each view will appeal to everyone. A bit of perseverance is needed here I feel and it's important to spend enough time really getting to know a binocular before writing it off. I particularly like SeldomPerched's recent thread in the Leica posts about finally clicking with their Leica 7x42 UVHD after getting it optimally set up for the first time in years.

The matter of what people value most in the view is interesting, with clearly no consensus on all aspects. Qualities identified in this thread as desirable characteristics have been (again in no particular order):

Low chromatic aberration
large field of view
high contrast
high sharpness
steadiness
pronounced 3D effect
low glare
high brightness

To what extent each of the above is important to someone clearly differs and it's getting the right balance which determines that special relaxed, enjoyable view. Seems like there's no substitution to trying binoculars and spending time with them to get to know them.

So, I guess there's nothing much new here that hasn't been said many times before on BF, but I do think it's a good thing to see this variety of favourites. Another message coming through is not to dismiss older models.

Tenex, in answer to your questions I don't have a problem with the outside of the image of the 10x56 FLs. It's something I was a little wary of before receiving them since I had tried an 8x42 FL some years ago and found the outside aberration too much. But these are fine, though certainly not flat-field. But I prefer non-flat field optics for handheld, which is how I use these. For tripod mounted I find my 15x56 SLCs and 8.5x42 ELs provide a better view.

Favourite bird - ha ha, that must be an 'endless thread' on one of the other forums, but hey since you asked, it's probably a blackbird to be honest, because of their character, song and indifference to me working in the garden. I daren't ask you and others though after starting this endless thread :).

Anyway, thanks again to those who joined in providing an interesting insight.

Once again, all you have to do is sort through the responses, and pick the one(s) you like.

Boiled down, it’s completely subjective.

Lines 2 and 3 below pretty well cover my thinking on the subject.

Thanks everyone for sharing your current favourite binocular view. I’ve really enjoyed reading your choices and what it is about the view that is so appealing. What a great selection of binoculars. For convenience, here's a summary in no particular order:
wait a sec - I thought you said favorite "binocular" not "binoculars" :D how did so many get on the list?

since you said "ergonomics not a factor" then it's easy, I go with my "there can be only one" alpha the Swaro 10x56 SLC.

Low chromatic aberration
large field of view
high contrast
high sharpness
steadiness
pronounced 3D effect
low glare
high brightness
Hmm, I'm not sure how "steadiness" belongs on the list since it's not optical, and views on weight are all over the place (some think it helps, others find it effortful). As to "3D", often I have no idea what people mean, and if it's stereoscopy, there's too little for me to notice in AK roofs. And some qualities (contrast/brightness) are more desirable in some lighting conditions than others...

Tenex, in answer to your questions I don't have a problem with the outside of the image of the 10x56 FLs. It's something I was a little wary of before receiving them since I had tried an 8x42 FL some years ago and found the outside aberration too much. But these are fine...
Thanks for confirming that, good to know.

Favourite bird - ha ha, that must be an 'endless thread' on one of the other forums, but hey since you asked, it's probably a blackbird to be honest, because of their character, song and indifference to me working in the garden.
I find it even harder to have a favorite bird than a favorite binocular.

wait a sec - I thought you said favorite "binocular" not "binoculars" :D how did so many get on the list?

since you said "ergonomics not a factor" then it's easy, I go with my "there can be only one" alpha the Swaro 10x56 SLC.
Yeh, it's a bit free and easy with the rules here. I've not tried a Swaro 10x56 SLC, but I'm sure it has a fantastic view.

Hmm, I'm not sure how "steadiness" belongs on the list since it's not optical, and views on weight are all over the place (some think it helps, others find it effortful). As to "3D", often I have no idea what people mean, and if it's stereoscopy, there's too little for me to notice in AK roofs. And some qualities (contrast/brightness) are more desirable in some lighting conditions than others...

Thanks for confirming that, good to know.

I find it even harder to have a favorite bird than a favorite binocular.

Those lists are just a compilation of whatever people have said without me filtering, so it all goes on the list. For me I've no problem with steadiness and 3D effect going on the list of qualities of the view that people appreciate and it's favourite view rather than best optics. But I see where you're coming from and a more scientific test might be to say best view mounted on a tripod, but then most people don't use binoculars on a tripod, so it might not be as interesting or get as many responses. Interestingly quite a lot of people have gone for 7x bins (Quincy88 and 42Za above being another two) and steadiness in the view because of the lower mag is a quality some of the users have mentioned. Similarly for those going for porro's over roofs, the 3D effect is often mentioned. Actually I've not noticed it that much in my lower quality porro's. I'm guessing you need high quality as well. I agree that differences between roofs can be very slight and are highly subjective. This whole thread though is unapologetically highly subjective, no science here I'm afraid :) .

Those lists are just a compilation of whatever people have said without me filtering, so it all goes on the list. For me I've no problem with steadiness and 3D effect going on the list of qualities of the view that people appreciate and it's favourite view rather than best optics. But I see where you're coming from and a more scientific test might be to say best view mounted on a tripod, but then most people don't use binoculars on a tripod, so it might not be as interesting or get as many responses. Interestingly quite a lot of people have gone for 7x bins (Quincy88 and 42Za above being another two) and steadiness in the view because of the lower mag is a quality some of the users have mentioned. Similarly for those going for porro's over roofs, the 3D effect is often mentioned. Actually I've not noticed it that much in my lower quality porro's. I'm guessing you need high quality as well. I agree that differences between roofs can be very slight and are highly subjective. This whole thread though is unapologetically highly subjective, no science here I'm afraid :) .
Absolutely the steadiness of a pair of 7s is awesome. Also the large exit pupil, wide field of view, and deep field of view. They all come together to make a fast, comfortable, and easy magnification to use. When I’m going out birding with someone who hasn’t used binoculars much I like to give them a pair of 7s.
Great thread mpeace. Fun to see everyone’s preferences.

Edited because I had previously spelled mpeace’s username incorrectly.

Last edited:

agreed... something magical about the big bruisers...
looking for a 32 for a lighter option. was set on NL but a lot of happiness out there w/ the Leica UVHD+s

I'm still happy with the NL 12x42 as my 'one and done' choice. I bought it last November, so I'm looking forward to my first summer with them!

In the future, I might try a 32mm option for more casual viewing / travel, but they're just so expensive, I'll have to wait.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back