• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What bird did this feather come from? (1 Viewer)

Colin

Axeman (Retired)
England
I found this feather in my garden a few days ago. This is in a suburban area of south west England. I have looked through the Helm book entitled Tracks and Signs of the Birds of Britain and Europe but to no avail. Does anyone have any ideas or can positively id this. Thanks.

Attachments

• feath.jpg
    feath.jpg
    122.7 KB · Views: 232
Hi Colin,

I'd go for underwing scapular (humerals, I think they're called to be exact) of immature (1st or 2nd summer) Lesser Black-back Gull, possibly Herring Gull

Michael

Michael,
Thank you. Yes, that would make sense. There are some LBBG which nest, I believe, on the flat roof of a local school and there is a steady passage (many more in winter) of birds in the late afternoon/early evening returning to the Severn Estuary and thus overfly. The axillaries are not shown in the book I mentioned which is why I drew a blank there.

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back