• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What a couple of lovely suprises. (1 Viewer)

Reader

No birdwatching as such today. After the events of the last few weeks my penance was to help out in the garden.

Anyway, just before I went on my holidays a month ago I put up a nest box on the shed. I must admit that I thought it was a bit late putting it up but at least it would be in position for next year but whilst I was helping clear up part of the garden I had a very nice surprise. I was busy putting a load of spare wood in a 2 foot gap between my shed and the fence. Low and behold a Great Tit landed on the fence almost next to my face with a beak full of food. I moved and scared it off. A little while later I had moved a little away from the shed when both a male and a female landed on the fence, both with a beak full of food, and then proceeded to take turns to go into the box. For the last two or more hours it has been constantly like that.

It caught both my missus & I out as we haven't noticed any Great Tits near to the box before. We can only assume that they set it all in motion whilst we were on holidays but one things for sure, it certainly made our day.

The next surprise was that a Chiffchaff, that has been constantly singing in the nearby trees for the last few weeks, came down into our garden. I never thought I would ever have a Chiffchaff for a garden tick.

Small, I know to some of you guys, but what a brilliant feeling to witness the Great Tits apparently taking in food to their young. I can't ever recall having a bird breed in any garden that has been mine before. I hope we get the chance to see the chicks but knowing my luck it will all happen whilst I am at work.

Very nice Reader, good to know your box is in good use they are lovely birds :t: :t: good luck with the chiffchaff.

pauco said:
Very nice Reader, good to know your box is in good use they are lovely birds :t: :t: good luck with the chiffchaff.

I have just been watching the Great Tits and they are constantly in & out of the box. The female has now stopped in the box but the male is still going strong.

One more surprise. Whilst watching the Great Tits the Chiffchaff landed on a tree by the side of the fence with a beak full of small green caterpillars. It was prancing around flicking its tail and then another Chiffchaff (which we haven't heard before) started calling in the distance. Now that is a nice little bonus.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back