• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Beginner needs advice (1 Viewer)

KCMui

Hello, fellow Nikon users,

I am a new member in this site and new to bird watch and photography, I have read many of the posts in this Nikon forum. And found them to be very informative and helpfull. Hope you can give me some ideas on the questions that I have.

I have just added the D200 to my Nikon equipment list.

But the longeest telephoto that I own is the 70-200 f2.8 VR , which I understand is not really enough for what I am about to step into, that is taking photos of Birds.

I do have the TC14 teleconverter also, which effectively turns my 70-200 to a 280 lens (i think), with the 1.5 crop factor of the D200, that will make it a 420 mm lens.

my question to all you experts are:

What would be a good lens for me to consider as a good starting point for bird and nature Photography ??

Thanks in advance for your help.

Last edited:
Hi KCMui,

A warm welcome to BirdForum from all the Moderators and Admin. Glad to have you on board :t:

I am afraid I can't answer your question but I am sure someone will be along soon who can.

ROBINM,

Thanks for the Welcome and the quick reply,

I am really enjoying all the posting in this forum, guess it will take a while to finish them all :)

280 would be on the lower end of focal lenghts to shoots birds with, but for your average bird outings, it should be enough. Taking a pic of a bird 50 feet or more away, you would probably disappointed. Most birds closer than that should be fine. I recommend a lens of 300mm(not counting the crop factor) or more though. I would look at a Nikkor 80-400 VR or Sigma 135-400 APO if you feel like you need more zoom.

Thanks for your input, Benbirding..

I am leaning toward a fix focal super-tele such as the 300/f4 since I already have a zoom to take care of the instance that needs the shorter focal lengths.

But I am not really sure if the 300/f4 is the right way to go, since the 70-200/f2.8 with the TC14 is closed to the 300 in focal length plus I also have VR on that combination.

So the next choice would be a 400 mm lens, do you guys/gals agree with my way of thinking ?? what is a good buy in the 400mm area ?? any other ideas ??

of course there would be many choices if $$$ is no object, but I would only be able to spend around $1000 USD for this. (and hope my wife does not watch this forum)

Cheers :)

I use a Tamron 200-500mm. Admitedly, it won't be as crisp as a Nikon prime lens, but i suspect it'll be at least as good as a prime with a converter. I'm pretty happy with it anyway - i'd love a Nikon prime 500mm, but the cost is way beyond me.

Even at 500mm, I still find i'd like more reach! I also have a 28-300 Tamron lens too, but rarely use this for birding - it is nowhere near long enough for most things.

Personally, i feel that VR is overated for bird photography. Yes, it will help stop camera shake, but you'll need a fairly fast shutter speed to freeze the subject anyway.

Take a look at some of the images in my gallery. Most of these are cropped, so you'll get some idea that even 500mm isn't close enough!

http://www.birdforum.net/pp_gallery/showgallery.php/cat/500/ppuser/18597

the Tamron 200-500 sounds like a very good idea,

just one other choice, the Nikon 80-400 f/4.5-5-6 with VR

what are the plus and minus's between those two ?? besides the $400 price difference ??

BTW, Thanks Rezmole for your reply and advice.

Seeing the excellent images in your gallery, I should have no question what kind of lens the Tamron 200-500 can be.

It will be up to the skill of the photographer to make good use of this lens

Cheers :)

I saw DOC's pictures and also went for the Tamron 200-500. The results have been very pleasing and although the focus speed is not instant, it's fairly good. I tried a Nikon 300mm 2.8 VR this week in Bahrain and it was a ton weight, my arms were aching after five minutes. In addition I think I'd have to use a 2X converter with it for that extra reach. The price was good and I must admit I'm still toying with the idea. For now though I'll stick to the Tamron and build up my muscles for the Nikon. :t:

KC
I have the 70-200VR, the 300 F4 AFS; 80-400 VR and the 500 F4 AFS with the 1.4 & 1.7 TCE's which I use on my D2X and D2H. I mention this because I have used all for Birds and Nature shots. For Bird photgraphy I think you have to break it down into 2 sections, one for flight shots and the other for more stationary to little movement shots. My favorite for flight shots is the 300 F4 AFS. I like this better than the 70-200 with TC. For stationary shots the 500 AFS with 1.7 TCE is my favorite. With birds you will soon realise that for the most part you rarely have enough lens. For you budget I would get the 300 F4 AFS. With enough light the 1.7 works very well on this lens also. Most of the flight shots on my site were taken with the 300 F4 AFS.
Michael
www.imagesbymichaelrogers.com

I agree that the 300/f4 AFS would be a good choice and I wish I had one so I didn't have to lug the 300/2.8 all the time. You already have one of the best lenses that Nikon make and have a lot of megapixels in the D200 so I would start out with what you've got and just walk around taking photos of big birds to start in your local wetlands, such as egrets,herons,pelicans,raptors and ducks.With the 1.4x on you will also be able to get reasonable flight shots and small perching birds that will cooperate. After three months you will know what the limitations are of your setup and then you can go out and spend some serious money. Neil.

Thanks for the input,
after some difficult thinking,
I have decided to go for the 300/F4 instead of my other two choices, the Tamron 200-500 and the Nikon 80-400 VR.
The main reason is the close-focus ability of the 300 and what I can do with it on other assignments, can't wait to try a head shot of portrait shoot @ 5 feet with the 300 wide open. and possibility of adding a TC17 to that same shot. hello eyebrows. :)

I understand that I may miss the VR of 80-400 some times and also the versaltility of not having to keep changing the lens with the 200-500 Tamron. But with a limited butget, some things have to wait.

Again, Thanks for all the input from such good photographers, this forum is GrEaT....

Hello Nikon user

High i have been interested in Natural History Photography for some years and i first stated out with a Nikon F80 and a 75 to 300mm zoom lens, most of my Photographs that i took were taken from inside a hide to get close enuogh to the subject. I now have a D70 and Sigmas new 175 to 500mm. Ihave had some super results from this Lens. It gives you more working distance to the subject. I did not no what lens tohave i was going to have the Sigma 500mm 4.5 it was to much money to spend out and plus the weight of it.
Richard

Last edited:
Nikon user

Ihave been doing photography for some years and most of it is done from inside a hide.Using a 75 to300mm zoom lens on a Nikon f80. I now turned digital and now have a D70 with the new Sigma 175 to500mm lens which i find a super lens to work with. Not to heavy to carry and not so expensive.

Richard

Bit late but...

KCMui said:
Hello, fellow Nikon users,

I am a new member in this site and new to bird watch and photography, I have read many of the posts in this Nikon forum. And found them to be very informative and helpfull. Hope you can give me some ideas on the questions that I have.

I have just added the D200 to my Nikon equipment list.

But the longeest telephoto that I own is the 70-200 f2.8 VR , which I understand is not really enough for what I am about to step into, that is taking photos of Birds.

I do have the TC14 teleconverter also, which effectively turns my 70-200 to a 280 lens (i think), with the 1.5 crop factor of the D200, that will make it a 420 mm lens.

my question to all you experts are:

What would be a good lens for me to consider as a good starting point for bird and nature Photography ??

Thanks in advance for your help.

Bottom line to your question could be, what do you want to use the pictures for at the end of the day? If you are intending to sell the rights to reproduce these in magazines then you may well need to use the best equipment available but, if you want to publish on the web, print a few for the wall at home or keep for your own records, the budget and spec' may not need to be that high.

Above all, enjoy your nature photography.

Phil

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back