• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

When Porros Ruled the World (1 Viewer)

Brock,
This is a commercial of Zeiss Jena in East Germany, which made different roof glasses among others the 8 and 10x40 Notarems next to many excellent porro glasses. In that time Zeiss-West produced many Hensoldt roof binoculars
(Hensoldt became part of the Zeiss company in 1928) and Hensoldt binoculars were produced in Wetzlar. It is not so long ago, that the name Hensolt was removed form the Zess building in Wetzlar. The main company of Zeiss-West was located in Oberkochen and later Zeiss-West also produced roof prism binoculars for example under the name Dialyt, a name which was adopted from Hensoldt. In later years the complete binocular production of Ziess was located in Wetzlar, where it still is today, apart from Zeiss companies abroad (e.g. Zeiss Hungary) which made binoculars like the Conquests.
Gijs

Brock,
This is a commercial of Zeiss Jena in East Germany, which made different roof glasses among others the 8 and 10x40 Notarems next to many excellent porro glasses. In that time Zeiss-West produced many Hensoldt roof binoculars
(Hensoldt became part of the Zeiss company in 1928) and Hensoldt binoculars were produced in Wetzlar. It is not so long ago, that the name Hensolt was removed form the Zess building in Wetzlar. The main company of Zeiss-West was located in Oberkochen and later Zeiss-West also produced roof prism binoculars for example under the name Dialyt, a name which was adopted from Hensoldt. In later years the complete binocular production of Ziess was located in Wetzlar, where it still is today, apart from Zeiss companies abroad (e.g. Zeiss Hungary) which made binoculars like the Conquests.
Gijs

Gijs,

Thanks for that historical background, and yes, you spotted the lone roof in the commercial - the Notarem. Odd to see all those porros with just one roof model when today it's just the opposite for Zeiss, all roofs with only one porro - the Zeiss 7x50 B/GA T* ClassiC.

However, the Jena porros live on in the Docter Nobilem line. Wish they still made the 8x50 model. I had an 8x50 Octarem, which was featured in the commercial. Docter has an 8x56 but it's heavier and has a degree less FOV than the 8x50.

Brock

15x60

Hi Brock

Did you ever try out the Zeiss 15x60 porro? I have seen pictures and it looks like an awesome piece of kit and my instinct tells me I would rather look through these than peer through a telescope.

Lee

Troubador,
Try one before you buy one, since I have looked through some that were very yellow in color reproduction. It is a beautiful and very well made instrument.
Gijs

Troubador,
Try one before you buy one, since I have looked through some that were very yellow in color reproduction. It is a beautiful and very well made instrument.
Gijs

Hi Gijs

I have recently been lucky enough to acquire a HT 8x42 so no more binocular purchases for a while :).

You say you have looked through some that were very yellow. Does mean you have looked through some that were not? Were any of these from the last production batch in 1998??

Lee

Hi Brock

Did you ever try out the Zeiss 15x60 porro? I have seen pictures and it looks like an awesome piece of kit and my instinct tells me I would rather look through these than peer through a telescope.

Lee

If I'm not wrong the Zeiss 15x60 was a West German Zeiss bin with a huge reputation and a model that crops up on ebay once in a while.

I seem to remember a East German Zeiss 15x50 available in the mid 1970s, around the time I bought my 10x50 Dekarems. I don't remember the 15x50s being in the cheaper Jenoptem range but I don't know.

The 15 x 60 Zeiss I have used is a bit of a mystery.
I am not sure if it is West or East.
When acquired it turned out that the eyepieces have some fungus.
A very large discount was applied and I kept it.
It is good but heavy, and it needs stripping and even then I don't know if it can become as new.
So clearly you have to be careful.
The last 15 x 60 West have an enviable reputation and if found as new should be awesome at least centrally. But heavy.
I suspect that the field may be curved and the edge performance not that good, but I have not used one so stand to be corrected.
As with all binoculars.
Try it first.
But they are normally pricy.

Troubador,
I did not write down the production years, but if I remember well it was the older type hat was yellower than the newer ones. How do you like the new HT? I had one in my hands for a very short time and I liked the design more than the Victory design, since the HT fitted better in my hands.
Gijs

I think the East German Zeiss Jena binocular you are refering to was actually the 15x50 Pentekarem - quite a rare and desirable binocular now.

Attachments

• pentekarem-32-3.jpg
    pentekarem-32-3.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 86
Troubador,
I did not write down the production years, but if I remember well it was the older type hat was yellower than the newer ones. How do you like the new HT? I had one in my hands for a very short time and I liked the design more than the Victory design, since the HT fitted better in my hands.
Gijs

Hi Gijs

The HT is just wonderful. I still have my FL 8x42 and comparing the two together the HT is significantly brighter across all colours. But at least as important IMHO is the handling. Due to the shape and the position of the focus wheel the feel is much better than my old FL-friends. So I 100% agree with your quick assessment.

Lee

Gary,
No, I was referring to the 15x60 made in (West Germany). The 15x50 (made by Zeiss jena in East Germany) I had in my hands to weeks ago still at a market of old photographic equipment, binoculars etc. and that is really another type of binocular, although both are Porro's. I like the 15x60 better, it is more compact and the focussing wheel is placed lower between the objective tubes.
Gijs

Hi Gijs,

Sorry, crossover in posts here. My reply was intended for Robert who was talking about the Jena 15x50.

I bought a West 15x60 in mint condition a few weeks ago for a very good price (£225.00). It is a fantastic instrument considering it is nearly 35 years old !!!

I would love to get the Jena 15x50 but they seen to sell for very high prices.

Attachments

• 15x60.jpg
    15x60.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 86
Dear Gary,
It looks like my one. I could not decide if mine was West or East.
Unfortunately my one has fungus in the eyepieces. But at least it is West.
You have a bargain there.

Hi Brock

Lee

It's time for Zeiss to put put another 15x50-56. I'll bet a Zeiss 15x50 would be brighter than the Swaro 15x56. My Zeiss Conquest 12x45's were considerably brighter than the Swaros to the point I could resolve something with the 12's that I couldn't with the 15's. (Steadiness was no an issue)

Hi Gijs,

Sorry, crossover in posts here. My reply was intended for Robert who was talking about the Jena 15x50.

I bought a West 15x60 in mint condition a few weeks ago for a very good price (£225.00). It is a fantastic instrument considering it is nearly 35 years old !!!

I would love to get the Jena 15x50 but they seen to sell for very high prices.

Hi Gary

That leatherette 15x60 looks just lovely. The GA variant looks handsome enough but yours is a beauty.

Any sign of a yellow cast when viewing, as suggested by Gijs?

Lee

Hi Lee,

Nope, no sign of a yellow cast.

I have cleaned the prisms though. The binocular had only been used once or twice and then kept in a cupboard for 30 years (in its case) and there was a bit of haze on the prisms.

This is something these can be prone to if they are not kept in a dry environment and could account for the cast seen by Gijs.

I don't know about you guys but for some reason I feel that these porros, restored properly look badass somehow. I guess the devil is in the details. I'd love to get myself a pair of those, some nice porro pair or even zeiss dialyts. I hear they're quite good too.

Hi Brock

Lee

No, I never have, but I have lusted for them in my heart, and confessed that to my priest.

Steve (mooreorless, moore today, because it's Deer Day and he's off hunting with his son) and I spotted an ad for a used 15x60 Zeiss in the Bargain Sheet. I called the seller on the phone and he gave me the serial #. He said he bought it three years before from a hunting supply store, so they should have been the "B" model, but he wasn't sure.

So I called Zeiss to find out, and it turned out to be the older model with the short ER and lesser coatings, so either they were sold used or were sitting there for a long time on the shelf. So I passed. Forgot what the price was, not steep, $550? Steve will remember when he gets back, he'll find it in the archives somewhere.

At this point, I'd rather have a Nobilem, which probably has even better coatings than the "B". Since I would use them more for birding and wildlife observation, color rendition is the priority rather than edge sharpness. Half the price of the Zeiss too.

<B>

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back