• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk Butterflies and Moths (4 Viewers)

Peacock reported today is the first Norfolk butterfly for 2016 I've heard of - but there's been at least three Painted Lady's seen this year in other counties.

Peacock flying around (inside) my house on 2nd - I moved to a 'warm' bush outside but not sure it's chances of survival are high now! I did also hear there was a Red Admiral seen in Norwich area yesterday ..

A flurry of sightings this week, so I think we're seeing the start of the season proper. So far I've had reports of Peacock, Small Tortoiseshell, Comma and Brimstone since Saturday.

These records are a bit late due to PC problems. Peacock March 16th,Stiffkey Fen and Brimstone March 25th Stiffkey fen and Fakenham with my second Small Tort very worn, also in Fakenham on 25th.

Orangetip, Speckled Wood and Large White now flying. Not heard of any Holly Blues yet - but the ought to be out by now.

And promptly get an email, so Holly Blue is now flying.

Last edited:
This is will be old news for some , but my first large White of the year yesterday at Stiffkey Fen plus a orange tip ( one also reported there a week ago) again my first of the season. No sign of the green hairstreaks yet there. Still yet to see a 2016 speckled wood! Last season my first was on May 2ed ( usually around the second week in April) , but with Mondays forcast weather this years looks like being even later.

Last edited:
I've not managed Comma, Speckled Wood, Green-veined White or Holly Blue yet this year - although they've all been reported. :-(
It's a dreadful spring so far.

We had a walk at Hockham Hills and Holes this morning. Had my first Speckled Wood of the year. Also a peacock and two each of Orange Tip and Green- veined White.

Single Holly Blue in the garden yesterday.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back