• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Confirm 2cy Black-headed Gull please - London UK (1 Viewer)

ChrisKten

It's true, I quite like Pigeons
This post is to see if I'm learning, or if I just think that I'm learning.|=)|

• Too little brown in plumage to be a first Summer Bird.
  • Any brown left in plumage (not the head) can't be an adult.
  • Must be 2cy.

Poor light, so legs could be brighter than they appear.

So, how did I do?

Thanks.

Attachments

• P1870498RG.JPG
    P1870498RG.JPG
    146.4 KB · Views: 107
Careful asking questions like that with 10k post behind your belt!

Tongue firmly planted in cheek of course, Sorry to high jack your thread chris:)

Karpman

Careful asking questions like that with 10k post behind your belt!

Tongue firmly planted in cheek of course, Sorry to high jack your thread chris:)

Karpman

LOL, yes, Ryder, I was tempted to mention that my post count means absolutely nothing. I mean, they could have all been posts asking for ID help. I see you've noticed that other thread then.|=)|

This post is to see if I'm learning, or if I just think that I'm learning.|=)|

• Too little brown in plumage to be a first Summer Bird.
  • Any brown left in plumage (not the head) can't be an adult.
  • Must be 2cy.

Poor light, so legs could be brighter than they appear.

So, how did I do?

Thanks.

Hi Chris,

Your not doing to bad your right that it's a 2cy bird but this is the same as a 1st summer bird. So the bird is just over a year old.

So a bird hatched in 2009 starts as a juvenile then moults to 1st win & up untill the end of the year is a 1cy bird. Then at the begining of 2010 it is a 2cy but still a 1st win. Then it moults to 1st sum in the early spring but is still a 2cy bird & so on.

It can be a little confusing I know but I hope this helps.

Cheers, Neil.

Chris, yes, you're correct.
This bird has moulted its wing coverts - hence the extensive grey - but is still showing dark secondaries (just peeping out) and the primaries show the long white tongue within the dark-surround.
The tail (unseen here) might also show some dark end.
The head is quite typical of 2CY birds - but beware now that adults are moulting out of breeding plumage they, too will be losing their brown hoods.

Thank you both for replying, and thanks for the explanations.

I actually hesitated before I typed "first Summer"; I did know that first summer and 2cy was the same thing. But then I thought, what would I call a bird that hatched this Spring, and first Summer seemed to fit. So, yes, it can be confusing, but its getting less confusing thanks to those kind enough to reply in the ID sub-forum (even though I have a high post count;)).

I don't think the other thread referred to questions like this.

why not? here it's a very simple question of ageing a gull, the other thread was a very simple question of identifying a wader. Both very simple questions with very simple answers - unless you don't know the answer, in which case a forum such as this is a perfect place to ask. :t:

I agree, 2cy Black-headed Gull.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back