• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nikon HG monoculars (1 Viewer)

afk314

I'm thinking about picking up the 7x15 monocular but its purpose in life will be accompanying me while fly fishing. So it should be waterproof. I don't see this mentioned anywhere so I am assuming it isn't. Can anyone clarify for me?

Thanks!

Here is your answer from a review on the Nikon 5x15 Monocular which is the same as the 7x15 except a different magnification.

"Is it Waterproof?
The instruction manual that comes with the Nikon 5X15 High Grade monocular says that the user should avoid rain, water splashes, sand and mud. We understand that to mean that it's not waterproof.

Angled view of Nikon High Grade monocular
On the other hand, a monocular this small (only 2.7oz/75g and length and width are 2.8x1.2in/71x30mm) is easily kept dry in a plastic bag with zipper-like closure and we've had no problems carrying it in a variety of weather situations.

Having said those things, we're aware of Nikon monocular owners who use their instruments in very humid locations and damp weather and say nothing but good things about their weather resistance. We'll still take our plastic bag instead of taking chances with these great little optics!"

Read more from original site: http://www.opticsreviewer.com/nikon-monocular.html#ixzz4T2BNA
G4E

Hello afk314. I have both HG monoculars and they are both really good optics. They are not waterproof, but the construction is robust and I'd be confident in letting them get a light splash. Having said that, if you want a really, really nice mono, I'd recommend the Leica Monovid which also happens to be waterproof. I saw your other thread concerning 8x20 binos. In my opinion, a compact bino would be a better option for your purpose. With a double hinge compact bino, if you don't have time to unfold the bino, you can just use it as a mono. Plus, with binos, you get a wider variety of buying options compared to monos.

I have both the 5x and 7x HG monoculars and prefer the 5x, as it's much less finicky about eye placement and offers much better eye relief. The Monovid is better, but does not focus as close (without the mostly useless close-up accessory lens) and is much bulkier.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back