• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mallorca 2017 (7 Viewers)

This was our list for the week of October 8th to 14th - all in the Camp de Mar, Andratx, Dragonera area. Not many species, but some we'd not seen on Mallorca before.

Black Vulture
Blackbird
Booted Eagle
Collared Dove
Crag martin
Egyptian Vulture
Eleonora’s Falcon
Goldfinch
Great Tit
Greenfinch
House Sparrow
Kestrel
Little Egret
Long-tailed Tit
Mallard
Peregrine
Pied/White Wagtail
Purple Heron
Red Kite
Robin
Sardinian Warbler
Serin
Shag
Stonechat
Swallow
Woodpigeon
Yellow-legged Gull

I think that should be ex cat Steve ;)
Nice to see some pics of the Weasel. I've only ever seen them racing across the dry stone walls in s'Albufera.

Lots of nice birds in Cabrera these days. Hawfinches everywhere, and a few rarities like Yellow-Browed Warblers (3 birds), Lesser Whitethroats (2 birds), Common Rosefinch and Little Bunting.

The influx of Hawfinch continues with Maties seeing good numbers through Costitx this evening. This irruptive species has brought a few Brambling with them, a very scarce species in Mallorca.
A Yellow-browed Warbler was also seen today near Castel Santueri, Felanitx by Jason. Mike

September 2017

I'm a bit late posting the notes from my visit at the beginning of September (problems which necessitated our computer's absence for a while..).

Enjoying all the recent posts - and planning to be back in Puerto Pollenca in June 2018.

Stew

Attachments

• Mallorca Sept 2017(pdf).pdf
    1.7 MB · Views: 93
I went to Son Real this morning hoping to catch the tailend of the influx of Hawfinch, but no such luck. Very little to see in fact, besides the newly arrived Robins, Song Thrushes and a couple of Blackcaps. Plus the local residents, Great Tits and Firecrests. There were actually more birds and species around the finca than at the waterhole. I didn’t walk the tracks as they were very busy. A busload of children and about 30 cars were at the car park!
On to the Depuradora. A dozen or so Pied Wagtails in a newly plowed field with 3 Meadow Pipits. A couple of Black redstarts nearby. Four Marsh Harriers and 3 Booted Eagles flying very low over the platform, a handful of Cattle Egrets and two Wood Sandpipers around the first pool. A couple Willow Warblers and more Black Restarts in a pine tree near the track.

I didn’t have time to go for the Yellow-browed Warbler sadly but I did sneak in an hour at the salt pans. Bar-tailed godwits were there and some newly arrived Meadow pipits. I also saw this bird with them but it looked rather different. Awful photo on full zoom but wondered if anyone can help. Thanks, Mike

Attachments

• D91FB139-E772-4B68-895C-7499C2C02360.jpeg
    D91FB139-E772-4B68-895C-7499C2C02360.jpeg
    157.9 KB · Views: 104
Thanks Patrick. My guess would be a shortage of food in their normal range. I saw two today near a Felanitx and three just flew over Porto Petro.
They are a fabulous sight with that massive metallic-blue-grey bill, looking so big headed as they fly past.
Following the storms, there are plenty of puddles for birds to drink and bathe in but when these dry up, they will hopefully appear at the drinking pool at Son Real where they were reliably seen a few years ago. I am going there Friday in the hopes of getting some photos.
Also, Jason found another Yellow-browed warbler in Porto Colom.
Mike

A few shots of a very obliging Snipe at tucan on 16 sept.
steve.

Attachments

• IMG_1566 (1024x733).jpg
    IMG_1566 (1024x733).jpg
    495 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_1578 (731x1024).jpg
    IMG_1578 (731x1024).jpg
    461 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_1608 (1024x733).jpg
    IMG_1608 (1024x733).jpg
    531.3 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_1623 (1024x733).jpg
    IMG_1623 (1024x733).jpg
    514.2 KB · Views: 32
not something i have seen before, Night Heron hunting in daylight 16 sept. salbufera.
Steve.

Attachments

• IMG_1656 (1024x739).jpg
    IMG_1656 (1024x739).jpg
    545.5 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_1662 (1024x732).jpg
    IMG_1662 (1024x732).jpg
    502 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_1677 (1024x729).jpg
    IMG_1677 (1024x729).jpg
    376.7 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_1691 (1024x731).jpg
    IMG_1691 (1024x731).jpg
    378.8 KB · Views: 36
not something i have seen before, Night Heron hunting in daylight 16 sept. salbufera.
Steve.

They do sometimes. As I'm usually based in s'Albufera when I visit, I've seen quite a few over the years. I'm guessing Grey Mullet for it's lunch.

Last edited:
Just reading some of the birding reports for the area and it brings back memories for many years of Spring birding in Mallorca what must be well over 35 years ago, my birding now is generally the Costa Blanca.

Anyway, I've just found what was the must have guide for its time compiled by Eddie Watkinson (some images below) for you interest.

What are people using these days ?

NB. I aways stayed at the Esperanza Hotel, birding from the balcony !

untitled-1.jpg

untitled-2.jpg

Last edited:
I still have a copy of Eddie Watkinson's guide somewhere but today I use a Birding Tourist's Guide to Majorca by local experts and it's a superb publication.
Martin

I agree with Martin, the “Birding Tourist’s Guide to Majorca” is superb. I still have my Eddie Watkinson Guide as well as Graham Hearl, both great publications in their time.
We are learning more about Mallorca all the time. It’s very exciting with new places and new birds being discovered every year. Mike

A great day out today firstly at Son Real. Very quiet, especially at the drinking pool, but we had glorious weather and fantastic scenery.
Then to the depuradora. Again, not much around but three Yellow-browed warblers at Porto Colom on the way home, thanks to Jason, compensated. Looking back on my notes I see that my first one ever was 35 years ago. Blimey. Mike

I forgot to say that there were so many dragon flies around, they seemed to be everywhere. Photographing them is near impossible with my bridge camera. Many of them were connected in some way that I don’t understand. Perhaps someone could enlighten us! Mike

Attachments

• D17627BB-D519-4E3E-8586-1FBD30852D83.jpg
    D17627BB-D519-4E3E-8586-1FBD30852D83.jpg
    173.6 KB · Views: 52
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back