• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

The Most Dangerous Bird On Earth (1 Viewer)

inghamb87

Was looking for some information on scariest birds and came across a link. Thought I would share with you guys here. The bird that is considered to be the most dangerous bird on earth is (drum roll please) - The Southern Cassowary .

Check this piece out to learn more about this specie and to view some images. If you already knew about it please ignore this thread but thought I would share something new that I learned today with anyone else who is inteersted.

Here's the link http://scienceray.com/biology/zoology/endangered-the-most-dangerous-bird-on-earth/

Didn't know that about it.

But I would have thought the Pitohui would have been a contender for that title.
http://www.birdforum.net/opus/Hooded_Pitohui

"The skin and feathers contain powerful neurotoxic alkaloids of the batrachotoxin group (also secreted by the Colombian poison dart frogs, genus Phyllobates). It is believed that these serve the birds as a chemical defence, either against ectoparasites or against visually guided predators such as snakes, raptors or humans. (Dumbacher, et al., 1992) The birds probably do not produce batrachotoxin themselves. It is most likely that the toxins come from the Choresine genus of beetles, part of the bird's diet. (Dumbacher, et al., 2004) "

If you've never heard of it, before you die you must go to cassowary house in Queensland. A family have made several cabins out in the queensland rainforest, and you can stay there and have wild Cassowaries within a few feet of you! it is an amazing place and I don't think mere words can do justice to it, but if you want to see Cassowaries you really have to go there.

Rufous hummingbirds are presently holding an entire town as hostages here in Northern California. Their trail of terror is well known.

If you've never heard of it, before you die you must go to cassowary house in Queensland. A family have made several cabins out in the queensland rainforest, and you can stay there and have wild Cassowaries within a few feet of you! it is an amazing place and I don't think mere words can do justice to it, but if you want to see Cassowaries you really have to go there.
They come and go over time, so the birds aren't guaranteed. However when they are around, as you say, you can get right up to them, which is an incredible experience.

I think a female Harpy Eagle protecting it's nest and chick would be very dangerous.I certainly wouldn't like to be on the recieving end of a Harpy Eagle attack.

The most dangerous birds are the ones that fly high over the motorway when you´re driving, causing you to lean forwards and peer upwards to try and I.D. them when you should have your eyes on the road. Absolute hazards, they are.

The most dangerous birds are the ones that fly high over the motorway when you´re driving, causing you to lean forwards and peer upwards to try and I.D. them when you should have your eyes on the road. Absolute hazards, they are.

Or the nice young ones walking along the side of the road as you drive by.;)8-P

Si.

And they leave a trail of fast food wrappers and leveled forests. I saw (on Fox News) that they have a controlling interest in many Latin American sugar conglomerates. They're also not polite (at all) to their cousins. Monkeys and apes I've encountered are much more pleasant to me (story not seen on Fox News). If they decide on Australia next ----- no big fingernail thingy on the top of a cassowary's head is gonna do much.

My wife and I live in a bunker.

And they leave a trail of fast food wrappers and leveled forests. I saw (on Fox News) that they have a controlling interest in many Latin American sugar conglomerates. They're also not polite (at all) to their cousins. Monkeys and apes I've encountered are much more pleasant to me (story not seen on Fox News). If they decide on Australia next ----- no big fingernail thingy on the top of a cassowary's head is gonna do much.

My wife and I live in a bunker.

:-O Funniest email in ages

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back